auckland, Auckland
New Zealand
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 19m 51s
Overall Rank = 117/189
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 13/15
Pre-race routine:

Not a too early start for this one, was out the door by 6:30am, and arrived at the start at 7:15, about 2 hours till race time. Claimed a spot in transition, then sorted registration. Had a pre race technical stop and watched the olympic distance race start.
Swim
  • 08m 13s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Used the standard plan, started at the back to avoid getting swum over by faster athletes, but found myself right in the middle of the pack the whole way around. Was very close quarters and even got a few kicks. Swallowed a few mouthfuls of water due to the chop, but otherwise ok. Felt that I got into the swing of things much faster than previously.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up... Same as the last one
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Much shorter run from the swim exit to the bike than I've done before. And had a bit of trouble finding the wetsuits zip. As a result the wetsuit was still on when I arrived at the bike, so I was a bit slower than I should have been.

Practice! Mangawhai's good transition probably lured me into a false sense of security, found it a bit tougher this time.
Bike
  • 43m 43s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.45 km/hr
Comments:

Nice bike along the coast. Pushed pretty hard the whole way, but never felt that I was giving it 100%. There were a few drafting packs around, which annoyed me a bit. Other than that was happy with my ride. Felt I could have kept going for a long time at that pace, which is what I'll need to do at the northern crossing.

Probably should have pushed harder than I did. Also, if I wanted to do well in the race I should have hooked into one of the drafting packs. I know it's against the rules, but everyone was doing it, and it does give the other guys a big advantage...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Much smoother than T1. Arrived at the dismount just after 2 other athletes, so had a bit of of delay getting into transition. Once in ran to the bike rack, swapped shoes in moments and off on my way. Running the whole time.

Practice!
Run
  • 27m 50s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 34s  min/km
Comments:

Felt slow and awkward at the start of the run, as you do after a ride. That feeling never went away. I did the 9:1 run:walk program I've been doing in training and it seemed to work well. I ran within myself, and liked the bike felt that yes I was pushing, but had more to give if I wanted too.

Push harder. To do well in these sprint tris I have to give everything. BUT, the main goal of the first part of the year is the northern crossing, which is much longer, so pacing myself for now will hopefully pay off in the long run.
Post race
Warm down:

Bit of a walk around, and some post race nutrition (They gave us danish pastry's! How good is that)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Weight, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I"m too heavy to do well at this. At the end of the year, when I'm under 90 kg I might stop saying its a problem
2. lack of run training. Getting better, but still months away from being happy
3. Myself. I held back, I was pushing, but was close to my long course pacing... If this had been a goal race I could have been faster.

Event comments:

Much more serious tri than what I've done before. But still heaps of fun. Weather wasn't great, but didn't ruin the day. Over all I was very happy with how things went.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:13 | 500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out about 150m straight off the beach, 90 degree turn into 200m across the the beach ans then 150m straight back into transition. No current to speak of, but a reasonable amount of chop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:43 | 20 kms | 27.45 km/hr
Age Group: 12/15
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Along the coast for 4km, then head inland for 6km over rolling hills to the turn around point.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:50 | 05 kms | 05m 34s  min/km
Age Group: 14/15
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 laps of a 2.5km long out and back. Mostly on the flat but over 1 short hill about half way. Was a water station about 200m before the turn around, so got 4 chances for a drink.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No