Bumpass, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 2h 42m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It's about a two hour drive to the venue from my house, but being a 10am start, didn't have to get up crazy early. It rained almost the entire way to the site, but about 15mins out, skies cleared a bit and the rain let up. Had a granola bar and some naked juice for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Took a short jog, then hopped in the water while I waited for my heat. It was actually warmer in the water than it was in the air.
Swim
  • 31m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal was to take it kind of easy and finish comfortably. I have a problem with keeping on a straight path, and I made some drastic zig zags throughout the course. The water was super choppy, but I managed to not intake too much water.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my sighting, and swimming in a straight line.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

Tried to dry off a bit as it was colder than I anticipated, and didn't have much to keep me warm on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 26s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I like this bike course. More hills than I'm used to from my training, but nothing to steep or too long. Nice scenic bike ride through the country and along the lake. Very little traffic as well. This was my first race on my new(used) Trek TT bike, and it rolls a lot better than my other bike. I was happy with my final time, as I don't do a whole lot of bike training in general.

I rode fairly conservatively and probably could have pushed a little harder, but I went better safe than sorry.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Feet were a bit numb coming off the bike, but they regained sensation pretty quick. I tried to be fairly quick in this section but transitions are never my strong point.
Run
  • 52m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off slow while my legs adjusted, then just maintained a comfortable pace. Found someone running the same pace as me and made some small chat. With about 2 miles left I felt real strong and had plenty of energy in the tank, so I picked it up a notch.

Run felt good, but I limited myself early on just to make sure I didn't die midway through the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my wife at the finishing line, and we went to grab some post race food. We got unlucky and got in line right as the pizza ran out, so we hit the road and got some IHOP.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first International distance event, and I was a little nervous as to how my body would handle the distance. I held back in each leg just being cautious, because I hate not finishing strong. I had an absolute blast with my first international distance race, but will probably push harder next time.

Last updated: 2012-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: