Seguin Lions Club - Athlete Guild Timing
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 51m 9s
Overall Rank = 79/140
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:00, transition opened at 6:30 and race started at 9:00. Had peanut butter, toast, and a banana. Packed an oatmeal on the go bar. Body marking, safety inspection and bike racked. Thought it would be crowded but I was the third bike into the transition area. Folks started showing up later. It was a heavy drizzle in the morning and I guess nobody wanted to wait around in it.
Event warmup:

I took a light jog for about a quarter mile to half mile just to wake my legs up and then stretched out. Engaged in some light small talk until the race was ready to go.
Run
  • 26m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

After reviewing my times I went out way too fast. Must have been the adrenaline and the fact that I was getting left behind a lot. That pace is by far the fastest I have ever run a 5K. While that is a good sign I later saw the effect of diminishing returns.

The heavy drizzle/mist falling kept the air really cool, but also really heavy. I was having trouble finding a rythym and now I know why. I was going much too fast. I really need to get a GPS watch so I can more closely monitor my pace.
What would you do differently?:

Patience, patience, patience. I kept telling myself to ignore them and run my own race, but the competitor in me didn't realize that I wasn't in the same shape I used to be in. I need to do a better job pacing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 18s
Comments:

I'm not advanced yet so I didn't have my shoes clipped in already. I will practice this though. Kicked off my Beasts and slid on my shoes. My bike was closest to the Bike Out/Bike in exit so the run with my bike was literally 25 feet max. I was very out of breath so I was trying to calm down my breathing and get back into my comfort zone.

Learn to mount with shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 50m 55s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.50 mile/hr
Comments:

So I hopped on the Dragonfly (my bike) and get to motoring. As I am towards the BOP on the run there are already alot of bikes out on the course. Get out on the road and up to cruising speed. I'm in a comfortable gear, my cadence feels right, and my legs feel good. I'm not pushing really hard and everything seems to be going well.

I start to eat up other competitors on the course. I'm not pushing hard to catch anyone they are just coming to me at a pretty regular interval. About halfway through I have passed so many I am starting to worry that maybe I am going to hard. Nobody has passed me and by that point I'd passed about 25 people. So I take my effort down a little bit more but still continue to catch people. You can see by my speed I wasn't flying through the course by any means. I typically train faster and longer. I was making a concious effort to take it easy on my legs.

I don't know if the bike affected my run that much of just the fact that I need more work on my running endurance but the upcoming run leg was not fun.

Get a bike computer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Here is where the wheels started to come off the wagon. My feet had gotten cold and numb riding through all the water. I couldn't feel my toes so getting my feet into my running shoes proved to be a task. Still I got them back on and was out of transition fairly fast. My wife however said I need to get faster.

Not really much I can do about the weather.
Run
  • 32m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

As I started to run I had a severe case of the dead legs. They were working and I was off and running, but they just weren't there for me at the start. It took about 1/2 a mile before they felt like my legs again and even then they were noticably tired.

Even though I hate them it is obvious I need more brick work. Also need to work on my running muscular endurance. Made my laps at a much slower pace and crossed the finish line as the top Clyde in the race. (there were only two of us, but of the two I was the better on that day) Four entered the race but two didn't even show up.

Pace myself a little better on my first run. Do more bricks during training to acclimate myself to running after the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some fresh fruit at the end and a big glass of water. Went over and found my kids and wife and watched the last of the finishers. My kids were great and really helped me out (they were really loud and for once it didn't bother me). Took a finish picture with them and packed up and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, and lack of muscular endurance. Both of which I can correct as I continue training.

Event comments:

Organizers were great and the event was well run overall. They kept communicating about the race status based on the weather. The starter speaker wasn't working but other than that they were great. Not much support along the course but I blame some of that on the rain, and some of it on it being the first weekend of spring break. Still I had my support crew and they were great.

Last updated: 2012-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:52 | 03.11 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/140
Performance: Good
Course: Very flat mostly pavement/short running trail run. Two laps through Trinity Lutheran campus. 2 water stations along the route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:18
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:50:55 | 14 miles | 16.50 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills and wet.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:32:32 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Same running course as the first.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-12 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Blue Norther Duathlon in Seguin

2012-03-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4091919

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-03-12 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4091919

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Blue Norther Duathlon in Seguin
Nice work! I have heard a lot of good things about this race.  Too bad it had to be bad weather, but looks like you were able to handle it all!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Norther Duathlon in Seguin Rss Feed