General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wichita Riders Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-12 3:05 PM

User image

Wichita
Subject: Wichita Riders
New to riding and was wondering what are some good places to ride without a lot of traffic.  I don't mind leaving from my house (29th and Ridge) on weekend mornings when everyone is asleep but don't really want to do that after work.  I have gone to the coliseum and rode up broadway.  Anybody else have any good routes or places to start from.

2012-03-12 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4092664

Subject: RE: Wichita Riders

I'm pretty new to biking myself. I'll ride around Sedgwick County Park sometimes, it's about a 4 mile loop if you ride on the outside of the park. I've seen people bike west out on 21st towards Cheney lake. Not sure how busy it is though.

Last year the Kansas River Valley Triathlon Club would ride starting at the NW YMCA and head out west I believe. Not sure if they will be planning on doing that again. You could also call some of the local bike shops and see what they have to say. I've really liked the people at Heartland Bicycle in old town.

2012-03-13 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4093238

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
I currently live in Iraq, but lived in Wichita for two years prior to me coming over here. When I was training for the KS 70.3, I would ride on the East side (I live right outside of Andover). I would do one large loop going out Greenwich. I lived very close, so I'd just ride out, but I've noticed cars with bike racks parked at either Target or World Market at 21st and K96. Park there and just ride North until you get tired...

Also, would ride 21st out toward Augusta area...

Westsiders, I don't know as I didn't live over there.
2012-03-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4093238

User image

Wichita

I did 21st street last night and there were a lot of bikers on it.  It is not a bide ride since the shoulders are real wide.  After I was done a guy at the Y parking lot said 29th is good too because of a lack of traffic.  I will say I thought I was going pretty good and then got blown by like I was standing still by some guy and lady.  I guess I have a long way to go.

I may have to try some of the out east ones to mix it up once in a while.  Thanks for suggestions and if anyone else has some let me know.

2012-03-14 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4092664

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My stand-bys are (I'm an east-sider I guess):

- Greenwich Rd. - park at Target and go North. Once you hit 101st turn West. You can ride 101st to Broadway, then turn back North. You can take Broadway all the way to Newton. 

- East 21st Street - again park at Target and head East on 21st Street. Not sure when the pavement ends but you can loop around south on any of the major streets to make a big square.

- 47th St. South to Augusta - I weave my way to around Pawnee and Webb. South on Webb till you hit 47th St. South - turn East. Turns into THUNDER RD (great street name) and you can take it all the way to Augusta. Some boat traffic as people take this road to Santa Fe Lake.

- Atlanta/Latham Kansas - a ~40min drive from town but well worth it for the hills. YES HILLS. Head East on Kellogg until you get to Bluestem High school. Turn South right there (sign will say "Atlanta") the road is technically named Chelsea Rd. It will wind around and turn into Cole Creek Rd. About 10 miles after turning you'll see a building that says "Clay Center" at an intersection - it's SE 210th Street on Google Maps. Park there. 

There is a "long" and "short" loop - in this Garmin file I did both. Excellent ride, no traffic, but only one gas station in Burden. Carry lots of your own water/nutrition or do loops and have a cooler in the car. There is a "saloon" in Latham you can fill your water but they don't open till Noon I think. Otherwise it's delightfully barren - a bit of chipseal but in general great roads.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99597646

Edited by lisac957 2012-03-14 4:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wichita Riders Rss Feed