General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best volunteer position at Ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-03-14 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4094386

Subject: RE: What is the best volunteer position at Ironman?

I volunteered at IMAZ this year at a run station. We were out there almost the entire time our buddy was running. Since it's a three loop course, we got the chance to cheer for him, etc. It was great fun. Our shift started just as the winners were going through on there last lap so we saw them too.

Wherever you volunteer, make sure to go down and watch swim start. It was AMAZING. We stayed at the start area until the swim cut-off. It was sobering to see folks never even make the bike and to watch others barely make the cut-off.

I absolutely loved the experience and though I won't probably ever do an IM I will drive to for IMMoo on year to volunteer.

2012-03-14 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4096201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
michael_runs - 2012-03-14 11:18 AM

Are the people volunteering for these races pretty much local to the event?  Let's say you want to do IMFL or IMAZ and you live many states away.  Are there people who are scheduling trips to these locations simply to volunteer and register?  That seems like a bit of overkill, but maybe not.

IMFL is probably the closest to where I live.  I suppose I could make a weekend trip out of it to volunteer, but maybe I'll take my chances online when the time comes.

At IMC many people were local from the area but there were many from Washington, California, other states and most Canadian provinces.  Some would be there to support a family member athlete but most were there to be able to register for next year.

For IMC usually registration is full/finished by noon the day after the race.

2012-03-14 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4096201

User image

Extreme Veteran
IMFL is only about a 3 hour drive.  I have family there so it's a bonus.  I plan on taking my wetsuit, bike and shoes and play around on Friday.
2012-03-14 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4094386

Veteran
Vicksburg
I volunteered at Florida this year as a bike catcher.  I got to catch Bree Wee's bike.  That was awesome.  My buddy caught Jessica Jacobs bike (female winner).  I had another friend that videoed us on his phone.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best volunteer position at Ironman? Rss Feed  

of 3