General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RD wants to know what you want in a race t-shirt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-03-15 4:37 PM

Subject: RD wants to know what you want in a race t-shirt

I am a race director looking for some feedback on what you want in a race t-shirt. 
Most triathlons and duathlons give them away, but I want to hear from you, the racer, on what you like in your race t-shirt. 
Tell me about your favorite race t-shirt? Do you have one that you really like? 
Do you wear them or do they end up in a drawer or the donation pile? 
Do you want a tech tee/performance tee for training or do you prefer a cotton t-shirt you can wear out on the town? 
What do you like in terms of color, design or style? 
Any ideas, thoughts, photos, or insights will help. 
Thank you!

2012-03-15 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4098214

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: RD wants to know what you want in a race t-shirt
I wear them for running or if its really stinking hot I will wear them with shorts around town. A good quality shirt is really a plus, I have a merrel one and its nice as most are just cheapies. Socks, hats visors are cool too because you can get too many shirts - and I have only done a year of racing
2012-03-15 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
momineam - 2012-03-15 5:37 PM

I am a race director looking for some feedback on what you want in a race t-shirt. 
Most triathlons and duathlons give them away, but I want to hear from you, the racer, on what you like in your race t-shirt. 
Tell me about your favorite race t-shirt? Do you have one that you really like?  Sadly, none. Previous shirts have been in sizes that are too big for me, heavy 100% cotton in terrible boxy cuts, or awful colors. Of all my shirts, I don't really like any, but I do wear them.

I wear them around the house/garden for chores. The one shirt I wear for the purpose of exercise is the tech fiber long sleeve tee I have from the Seacoast Half Marathon in Portsmouth NH. It's a hideous neon green and it's too big, but it's great for wearing on hikes during hunting season, or as a top for early morning/night running and biking.

Do you want a tech tee/performance tee for training or do you prefer a cotton t-shirt you can wear out on the town?  Tech tee, please!

What do you like in terms of color, design or style? I'm a fuschia kinda girl, but you can't go wrong with white or black. No sponsor logos on the front - they should be all on the back. I like the site of the race and race logo to be clear and easy to read. Dates are always nice to have on the shirt. Bonus points to tees that are raglan sleeved...they fit a wider range of people. Please have more than "one size fits all", and women's and men's sizing or at least xs and xl options.

Thank you!

Thank YOU for asking!

2012-03-15 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Try to stay away from white, I really do not like those. Also, there are some of us clydesdales out there that wear these to work out in, and would like maybe a little bit of a looser cut. Definitely carry XXL sizes, cause no one wants to see me in a skin tight shirt. The tech tees are nice since they are very good on a run or casual bike ride. Lastly, nothing too flashy. A logo to be flashy is okay, ut for an entire shirt to scream out...that is another story. Hope this helps
2012-03-15 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Like the tech T's, have to agree with not using white - prefer black, also like the long sleeve T's so I can wear during winter training. Thanks for asking!
2012-03-15 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
I prefer tech fabrics.  Tell the RD to make the event logo LARGE with vivid bold colors.

2012-03-15 5:10 PM

Veteran
Most race t-shirst are nothing more than billboards.  It would be real nice to have one with the race logo placed on the left chest and nothing more.  Also, long sleeve shirts are GREAT!!!!
2012-03-15 5:11 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

First, thanks for asking!

My favorite is probably my short sleeve, female cut tech from last years Bolder Boulder.  It's white and comfortable and has a cool design.

My least favorite is probably my odd fitting sleeveless tech from last years Denver Tri for the Cure (sorry Amy).  It's a wierd cut and an awful color (was supposed to be pink but is more like salmon).

I wear the cotton ones too for around town so I'm pretty easy to please.  For an upcoming race I've ordered a long sleeve tech.  I'm looking forward to that one and hope it fits correctly.

2012-03-15 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

My favorite race shirts are:

• long sleeve 100% cotton (nice heavy tee)
  • long sleeve tech tees (not cheap material)
  • short sleeve cotton (nice heavy tee)
  • short sleeve tech tees  (not cheap material)

In that order

Never ever white, ever!

2012-03-15 5:15 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
unless you are going high quality with the tech tee give me cotton please.  A nice design, not one that is super obnoxious.  One that people can tell what the race is with out screaming at them.  my new favorite tee is a nice long sleep tech tee that I got at my last trail run.  A sweet Brooks running shirt, already designed by a running company and meant to be a running shirt the average runner would buy, then they just put the logo on it.  Most tech tees I do not wear, and I usually wear my cotton ones.  I have a lot of long sleeve ones and I am liking those
2012-03-15 5:19 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina

The shirts that I really like are the tech t-s I have enough cotton to last a lifetime, my favorite is a Brooks shirt from my 1st race.  Out of 4 races I have gotten 2 techs and 2 cotton, honestly the cotton gets put into tshirt drawer and occasionally pulled out the techs get better use, training and non training

I do wear all but the techs and one with some thought get more wear

Do you want a tech tee/performance tee for training or do you prefer a cotton t-shirt you can wear out on the town? 

performance tee and I wear them out regardless, but I live in a warmer climate so its nice to have them on at least 9 months out of the year

Something original or at the very least unique to the area or race.  I have one shirt from my first Olympic that is just a grey longsleeve cotton T that says Kiawah Triathlon with a starfish which is nice but not unique, I've never seen a starfish in the area but my half mary shirt has a rendition of the Rainbow Row in downtown charleston which is very unique to the area

2012-03-15 5:24 PM

User image

Pro

After a few years of running I've got a drawer full of shirts now, so my first suggestion is consider giving away something other than a t-shirt.  (how about a running cap or visor?)

but- if it must be a t-shirt, sure, I like the tech shirts.  Unlike those above, I prefer white.  I live in a hot sunny climate- and there's nothing like white.

I pretty much just wear my race shirts, the tech ones anyway, for exercise.  running, or going to the gym.  Long sleeved ones are neat too.  I've got a couple of those.

2012-03-15 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
Tech Ts for me only please.  My non race stuff is what cottons for.  Lighter colors are good since I live in a hot climate but white gets dirty way too fast.  I have had some very nice red ones.  Short or long sleeve is a nice option to have, and I have to agree with some others that hats/visors are a nice option as well.  Just my $.02
2012-03-15 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

First choice:  option not to get one for a lower entry fee

Second choice:  tech material

2012-03-15 5:59 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Thanks for asking. I prefer tech tees--either short or long sleeve. And yes, I wear them both for training and casual wear. I like darker colors like black navy and red with white artwork. Please no neon colors. I won't wear them.
2012-03-15 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I appriciate you asking, so here goes:

To be blunt, don't do crap stuff, I'd rather not get a shirt and pay $5 less than get some joe shmo shirt that WILL end up in the donation pile.  If you're going to do it, do it right. 

That said, I'd rather have a tech shirt.  I don't really wear traditional "tee shirts" other than to the gym or the beach.  So a cotton shirt wouldn't get used all that much for me.  The vast majority of my running tops are race shirts and I kinda like that.  But again, for as many as I have I've donated twice or thrice as many the day after the race because it was some ill fitting or poorly made "Fred's Brand" shirt.

My personal favorites are the 3 L/S shirts that I got from Yeuling Shamrock Marathons, they are Brooks tops, and the two S/S I have from Chichago marathons and one S/S from Pittsburgh, all of which are Nike.

2012-03-15 6:55 PM

Veteran
I wear all of my shirts that are "tech tees".  I have had a problem with cotton shirts being too big and too long (I am a petite female), but have not had the same issue with the tech tees.  I don't wear shirts that are bright or flourescent colors, and I'm not really fond of grey. 
2012-03-15 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

High quality tech fabric, if possible. Not that cheap scratchy polyester stuff. If not possible, then lightweight cotton. Gender-specific sizes/designs rather than "unisex"--the latter looks awful on smaller/skinnier women. Women who want the looser fit can order men's sizes if they wish. Most of my races are in SE Asia and until this year they have all been unisex--the S or XS just hangs on me and the average local woman could wear it as a tent dress! Please make clear on the entry form is sizes are unisex or gender-specific--it makes a big difference.

Colors--I prefer NOT black, but that's because I train in tropical heat--OK otherwise. Not white either. I love bright, even flourescent colors--many people train before dawn or after dark and they're useful for visibility, if nothing else. Finally, something distinctive or funny on the logo. My local favorite is the Singapore Biathlon shirts--they have a frog logo and the back says, "I'm a CERTIFIED Amphibian" with the "certfied" stamped in "red ink"--very cute. I wear it to coach swimming.

2012-03-15 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
momineam - 2012-03-15 4:37 PM

Any ideas, thoughts, photos, or insights will help. 
Thank you!

My favorite race shirts are the one's that actually fit me!  Please have women's sizes.  I use them for running, so a nice quality tech - I do like white as I'm in Florida - is preferred.  I get more use out of a short sleeve, but long sleeve is ok too.

2012-03-15 7:24 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I received several Zorel brand t shirts a couple years back and I love them. They say Zorel Dri-fit inside but they seem to be just a regular cotton shirt.

I like a cotton shirt that I can wear around town to show off my triathlon prowess Tech shirts are nice but I really don't need any more.

Like many others, I hate white t shirts. They look grungy after only a few wearings and invariably get thrown away. I don't really love crazy colors either. Bright yellow, purple, teal, pink..... these go in the rag bin as well. Blue, grey, black, brown, maybe red..... these get worn by me.

I hate t shirts that have a huge, busy, obnoxious logo on the front. I mean, put your race and some info on the front but don't go crazy. One of the race directors around here does unbelievably obnoxious shirts and I just throw those away as well. Even if I thought it looked good, all of the screen printing on the front makes the shirt too stiff to wear comfortably. If the t shirt is advertising for future races you want something that people will actually wear.
2012-03-15 7:52 PM

Extreme Veteran

just find it amusing, but reading through the thread pretty much the entire spectrum was covered, white, not black or anything but white.. tech but not cotton.. cotton please!

I'd say quality tech shirt, nice color.. i like the idea of the minimalist logo. i'd say to all be prepared to pay a little more if you want gender specfific since it's going to add to the cost... just a guess though.

i'm good with a hat or nice running socks or something (chattanooga waterfront does this).

2012-03-15 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4098416

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like both tech and cotton (if high quality), and anything but white.  I'm for the minimal logo in the left chest pocket.
2012-03-15 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
+1 on the Zorel shirt.  They fit well and are of high quality (superior to the lower end Brooks & Asics tees).  Might I recommend a v-neck?
2012-03-15 8:07 PM

User image

Utah

So glad a RD is asking!

First of all, I am one of those wierdo's that will probably never donate my race shirts, I love them too much!  I am about to have a quilt made out of them...even the ugly ones!  They all represent anaccomplishment!

That being said, the ones I wear the most are the ones that fit well.  Please have women's sizing.  Nothing cheapy or too stiff.  I like the tech shirts, but I always end up buying a cotton one at the expo that I can wear around town though too.  I don't really care on color...I have a long sleeve highlighter yellow tech one that I wear all the time for runs, I love how visible it makes me to clueless drivers.

So basically, my only must haves are high quality ones that actually fit. 

The ugliest ones ever are the ones for the Salt Lake Marathon every year.  They are notorious for awful shirts.  Their version of a small you could fit two of my husband in, and he is 250 pounds....

2012-03-15 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Tech tee

Small logo on the front, but NICE CREATIVE DESIGN on the back (don't just plop the race name and dates back there).  I like to wear the nice ones.

Any color but that awful drab gray that doesn't look good on anyone.

Not too tight in the neck - V-neck is nice for ladies if you are going M/F

Make sure you have enough smalls!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RD wants to know what you want in a race t-shirt Rss Feed  

of 3