General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Personal Best - Now how do I get through run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-15 9:19 PM

User image

New user
Subject: New Personal Best - Now how do I get through run?

I finished 400m today with new personal best - did it without pit stop (when I started I had to stop at every 25m) and I did it in a slow but smooth 11:30, I still had some left in tank.  This really gives me a shot of confidence going into next Sunday 1st Sprint ever.  The bike I will be OK.

The run still has me worried I have put off the worst part for me, could be interesting...any suggestions on bike tranistion to a painful shuffling jog - let me know?

2012-03-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4098565

User image

Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: New Personal Best - Now how do I get through run?

Congrats on the swim! Just take your time with the race and don't go too hard. Its your first race, just savour the experience and set a time that you can hopefully smash next year! If you have to walk some of the run don't worry, you won't be alone.

As for the transition - I am still working things out there as I have only done 3 races so far. The only advice I have is go easy on the last part of the bike so you aren't totally wiped out for the run. Are you changing shoes for the run? If so having some elastic laces for your running shoes will help speed the changing process as you have nothing to tie, just slip on. You can get them from most tri or running stores for about $5-7 and they fit any shoe.

2012-03-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4098997

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Congrats on the swim progress!

I think the run is VERY mental.  Yes, you're more fatigued than in a standalone run, but the weirdness of the legs, etc, is something you have to work on ignoring. It will be hard, so no need to focus further on that.

I find that I run much faster, initially, off the bike.  It's part momentum, part race excitement.   Focus at first on starting off easy so you don't go through the roof with your heart rate.   If you can keep composed, you will settle in eventually and then it's just time to get through it. 

You will also have to pace yourself a bit on the bike.  Unlike on a training ride, you can't go all out.  I tend do that and then suffer on the run more because of it.   Hold back a tidge and save some energy. 

2012-03-16 9:23 AM

User image

New user

Yes, I have laces already, and I have been training in new pair of Newtons, with shorter stride as to not beat me up so much.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to lighten up and stretch a little on the last mile, my right calf has tendancy to want to knot up on my.

2012-03-20 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I was taught to stretch your legs on the bike when your coming into T2 to keep you fresh for the run. Do some calf stretches and hip flexor stretches while standing on the bike and it will help you run.
2012-03-20 5:27 PM

User image

Memphis, Tennessee
Try and have fun and just get through the race. No one in my family asked me for a split time or T2 time. Just relax and have fun and congratulations on your swim!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Personal Best - Now how do I get through run? Rss Feed