Special Events Management
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 1s
Overall Rank = 175/1346
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/
Pre-race routine:

I was solo, again, on this race. As always, the breakfast of champions - a stop at 7-11 for a diet Coke, bananas and Coffee Roll!!! Thank God this race was at 10 cuz I would have never gotten out of bed for a 8 am race. Basically got up and drove downtown.
Event warmup:

If going to the porta-potty 3 times is a warmup, then that is my WARMUP!!! It was a beautiful day lakeside!!!
Run
  • 43m 1s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like I was going to die. I am out of shape plus a Clydesdale but, saying that, I am very proud of my time. I was hoping for 45 minutes. Anything under a 9:30/mile pace would have been acceptable. Maybe it was the competition or the pace booty but I was under 9/min so I am very very happy. I do not like to run and at the 5k mark I was cursing myself for not signing up for that distance but I kept going.
What would you do differently?:

Run more and longer? Lose 20 pounds. Jump into the time machine back 20 years?? Nothing really. I am just old and overweight. I just need to enjoy myself!
Post race
Warm down:

Everyone who raced got a coupon for a free Guinness. It sounds good but after an 8k, it was not thirst-quenching. There was an Irish dance group which was fun to watch. It sucks not racing alongside anyone so I was there at the race solo. I just walked around a little bit and got my car and drove home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Who says I could have gone faster? I am not a balls to walls kind of runner. I am a slow runner who speeds up occasionally.

Event comments:

10 am is a good start. It was a little hot but who would have thought March would be this warm??

Last updated: 2012-01-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:01 | 04.97 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/
Overall: 175/1346
Performance: Good
Course: Peggy Notabert (sp?) Nature Museum north to Waveland tower back to Museum.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-18 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: St. Paddy's 8k

2012-03-18 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4101820

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: RE: St. Paddy's 8k

Hey there!  I went to and raced this event solo as well.  We should have checked out the BT race listing to at least hook up and say hi.  Oh well, next time.

Man the weather was pretty awesome.  Last year it was skull caps and fleece jackets!

Anyway, you came in under your time threshold and being so early in the year it's just nice to get out there in an organized event.  Mind you everyone I knew was at home passed out still from St. Paddy's celebrating the day and night prior.

It's going to be a great year for racing!!!  Keep it up.

2012-03-18 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4101855

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
eddievolly - 2012-03-18 5:49 PM

Hey there!  I went to and raced this event solo as well.  We should have checked out the BT race listing to at least hook up and say hi.  Oh well, next time.

Man the weather was pretty awesome.  Last year it was skull caps and fleece jackets!

Anyway, you came in under your time threshold and being so early in the year it's just nice to get out there in an organized event.  Mind you everyone I knew was at home passed out still from St. Paddy's celebrating the day and night prior.

It's going to be a great year for racing!!!  Keep it up.

Maybe next time!  You had a great race, very impressive!!!!  It was a great day for a race!

2012-03-23 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4101864

User image

Expert

Outstanding race, Ted! 8:40 pace is very impressive. You are supposed to feel like you are dieing in a short race, so you ran it just right

I hear you on the Guiness. A little heavy for right after a race. Post race is one time a Mich Ultra actually tastes OK.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Paddy's 8k Rss Feed