Hillstriders
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 44s
Overall Rank = 798/
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 108/135
Pre-race routine:

This was my first HM. Had a pretty good plan and got my runs in. Most were done during the winter with UA gear/tights/wind jackets, so with the break in the weather, I would not need ot worry about the extra clothing. I was worried about the heat as race day approached.
Up at 6:15, light breakfast of oatmeal and started hydrating. Left at 7:00 and was parked by 7:30. Soaked up the atmosphere, talked to some people I know and had some more water and a Gu Roctane around 8:00.
Event warmup:

Just stretched and did a little jogging. Felt ready and worked my way through the crowd to the start line. Seeded myself just behind the 9:00 minute mile runners.
Run
  • 2h 05m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off well. As usual, did not feel I was going fast. Was surpised to find myself out at 9:00 pace. Held that for the first three miles then strated backing off as the heat was already starting to take its toll. Made sure I got water and Gatorade at each station. Still felt strong after the first 2 hills (approx 5.5 and 7.5 miles in). Still keeping a good pace when I reached the long uphill at mile 9.5. Made it and walked the water station at the top of the hill. Saw my wife and told her I was feeling OK. Then Machelle's hill got me. Wow, you go downhill a bit then uphill through a subdivision. Doesn't look like much but it just zapped me and quite a few others. Got to the top and walked a bit to catch my breath. After that, just hung on. Official time was 2:05:44 but my Garmin had me at 2:05:20 as it took about 25 seconds to get to the start line in the crowd (no chip timing).
What would you do differently?:

Train for the heat? Impossible in this funky Illinois weather. 2 weeks ago, I did a 12 mile run in 25 degree weather with wind and several inches of snow. I also would have ran parts of the course, more to get a mental image of what was in store.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab a bottle of water and walked it out. Found my wife and recapped the run. Put on my compression socks and went and found the soft pretzels. Felt pretty good considering. Met some folks afterwards at a bar for a couple of beers. Found a nice quarter size blister on my right foot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. Was prepared for the hills.

Event comments:

This is a popular local race with many good runners. Although there was plenty of water, I should have carried some on my own. The stations were 2 miles apart and with the heat, I needed more.

Last updated: 2012-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:44 | 13.1 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 108/135
Overall: 798/
Performance: Average
Course: Advertised as challenging with several hills (true). There were also quite a few flat stretches.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes