General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for two marathons two months apart Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-19 9:46 AM

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Subject: Training for two marathons two months apart

Hi, I just finished the DC R'n'R Marathon this past weekend and am now getting set for the Madison Marathon over Memorial Day weekend.  I've been feeling pretty good after, and I'm aware that I'll need to take a little relaxing time this week to slow down and recover, but I haven't been able to really find a good training plan that can take my existing base and continue on to the next race.  Does anyone have any insight/experience on what a training plan should look like over the next two months?  Thanks!!

2012-03-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4102665

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Training for two marathons two months apart
Two months is a good time to recover and get ready. Basically you can just do a reverse taper for 3 weeks, get a good long week in (or two if you're not resting this week), and taper again.
2012-03-19 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Thanks!  That was kind of what I was thinking, but just wanted the reassurance by hearing it from others!  Looks like your picture is from DC as well!  
2012-03-19 11:21 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Hal Higdon has a number of plans for multiple marathons training - there is one on this page at the bottom for two marathons, eight weeks apart. Might give you an idea on how to structure the runs in between races.
2012-03-19 11:32 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
A pre-packaged plan won't tell you how quickly you will recover from this weekend's marathon. Lots of variability in that, and you just have to listen carefully and honestly to your body. And also see how long it takes you to feel the hunger again. But assuming that you can get yourself recovered and eager to go again in a couple of weeks, then you probably can do about a month or more of peak training before tapering again for the next marathon. 
2012-03-19 12:13 PM

User image

Pro

Takes me a minimum of 6 weeks to recover from a marathon. At which point I can start back on a 16 week plan.  (I'm 48 fwiw

that's if I run it all out- with no respect for what's left of my body afterwards.  If I just took it easy and ran it at LSD pace, pshaw- I could run one every weekend.

Perhaps some day I'll check my ego at the starting line and just enjoy a nice long run, but it hasn't happend yet.

point being- it really depends on you, how many miles you run/wk, how hard you went out on your marathon, how quickly you recover, what injuries you might have, and what your goals are for each marathon.  They can't both be your 'A' race. As stated above- you need to honestly listen to your body.

I think that even the pro's can be in peak performance for only 2 marathons per year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for two marathons two months apart Rss Feed