General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP testing......I hate it....so...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-03-21 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4106703

User image

Clemson, SC
Subject: RE: FTP testing......I hate it....so......
AdventureBear - 2012-03-21 1:07 PM
RChung - 2012-03-20 2:16 PM

AdventureBear - 2012-03-20 11:51 AM

If you do the book protocol, don't use Monod, instead do the 5 minte and 20 minute on different, rested days. The Monod regression takes into account the anaerobic contribution of the 20 minute test. By doing the 5 minute blowout first you are handicapping the results of the Monod regression. Robert am I correct on this?

Um, I sorta lost track of what "the book protocol" is that you're talking about. But if you're asking whether the 5 minute and 20 minute efforts should be on different days .... well, they should be separated by enough time so that your AWC is restored to full capacity and not so far apart that your underlying FTP will have changed. The first half of that sentence might be satisfied if you separate the efforts by the (infamous?) beer-and-burrito gap (that is, rest long enough to have consumed a beer and burrito, --> not that you actually have to eat them

No muddying at all. When I want to use monod I Try have someone do a 5 min and 20 min test about 2 or 3 days apart. But if beer and burrito works as well that's fine. Since I live in Pittsburgh can it be iron city and a burger? I think the 'book protocol' referred to suggests the 5 minute blowout in order to preexhaust the AWC prior the 20. If so then it doesn't make sense to use those 2 values for a Monod plot.

Good points that I'll have to consider.

FWIW the protocol in the book is:

warmup

5 minute all out

10 rest

20 minute test

I have relied on the monod regression using the book test data only because it more accurately projects what I can regularly generate during my 2x20s as compared to .95x20 minute TT. The difference between the two is 8 watts.

2012-03-21 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4106211

User image

Veteran
aquagirl - 2012-03-21 8:34 AM
brigby1 - 2012-03-21 8:54 AM

aquagirl - 2012-03-21 7:50 AM

Speaking of mashing, I find that I am generally able to put out more power during intervals when i DO mash, even though I do no really ride this way. 

Is that "cheating" ?

How much of a difference are we talking about? And like I asked beebs in the other thread, what kind of differences in terrain are we looking at in this comparison (is one a trainer)?

Not that much of a difference I guess.......say my version of higher output "mashing" would be low 80's VS a normal cruising cadence of 90 to 93 or so.......

I would surmise that since an FTP effort is an anaerobic effort, cadence probably will vary. You are putting out more power in a shorter amount of time than if you are on a typical training ride. If you really mashed them hard in a high gear at very low cadence (like doing leg presses) you would put out lots and lots of watts but you'd only last a minute or two. So they aren't really comparable. What you're trying to find out is how much power you can put out for a certain short period, not sustainable power over the long term.

Anyway, we are starting to venture into analysis paralysis territory now. Sometimes you just have to toss this stuff aside and simply bust it all out and see where the results stand.

2017-08-03 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4103231

It is much easier to do a negative split 20 minute test where you start slightly below your current ftp and very gradually ramp up over the entire 20 minutes. For instance if your ftp is 250w you would start at around 240w, then 250w after 5 minutes, then 260w after 10 minutes, then 270w after 15 minutes, then give it everything for the last 5 minutes but don't go over board! The last 5 minutes seems like a life time so go to 280w IF you can and hold it for say 3 minutes then try 290w for the last 2 minutes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP testing......I hate it....so...... Rss Feed  

of 3