Tobacco Road Marathon
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 255 AM Left by 330 with Chobani and Coffee.
Event warmup:

Jogged a few laps in the parking lot.
Run
  • 1h 43m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I was slowed in the beginning as a fault of my own. I did not get to the starting line in time to get away from the walkers and slower pace folks. Ended up near the back and had to wait to get up to a good pace. Met a nice gentlemen about mile 5.5 and we pushed each other wonderfully. He had to pull up for some vomit time. After that he fell way back. I picked up the pace and tried to average around 730ish. This is my first time in this race and didn't know the ins and outs of the route. So, I think I could have shaved off another minute or two. Oh, not stopping to pee at mile 3 would also help better my time. I normally just gut it out, but this was a ferocious call of nature. Added about 1.5 minutes.
I had a blast cheering on the cheerers. They got a laugh out of it. There was pockets of awesome supporters out there.
What would you do differently?:

Pee more often, line up earlier, try pushing the pace for the first 2/3 more. I can usually pull off sub 7 and sub six in the last 2-3 miles. So, maybe I should try to increase my average pace more in the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and downed a lot of water. I was focusing on staying hydrated for this one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to get faster. Stride, shoes, going through water points, and form are all pretty good. Gene therapy would help.

Event comments:

Coming from Hawaii, where the races don't have major organizers, IOS does a great job of putting on a race. Our bus driver got lost and missed his turn, but other than that I am really happy with this race. Set a PR. This race felt much easier than about all of the races in Hawaii.

Last updated: 2012-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:20 | 13.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Awesome course. I loved the hard packed trail we ran on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes