General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra wetsuits - Vortex vs. Vector Pro? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-21 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Subject: Xterra wetsuits - Vortex vs. Vector Pro?
I'm planning to use the one of the latest discount codes from active.com (ACTIVEADV for 57% off) to purchase an Xterra wetsuit (my first wetsuit).  I am wondering what the differences are between the Vortex and Vector Pro?  Is the Vector Pro worth the extra cash for a beginner who will probably be MOP at best?  Any durability issues between the two?  I'm also debating full sleeve vs. sleeveless - does that sway the vote between the models?  Thanks for your help.

2012-03-21 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4106641

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Xterra wetsuits - Vortex vs. Vector Pro?
The Vector Pro is very, very flexible. Losing the restrictions will help you maintain proper technique longer, hence make you slightly faster, but more importantly make you fresher out if the water.

Is it worth the extra money? Depends... if you have the disposable income then yes, if it is been the less expensive option and pay the rent or more expensive and not paying rent, then no...
2012-03-21 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I went with the Vector Pro.  I figured it was better than buying another wetsuit after a year.
2012-03-21 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Both are great and after a year of using the Vortex (3 races and ~10-12 OWS practices), I'm thinking of upgrading for the additional flexibility.  Full suit all the way man!
2012-03-21 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
I've got the Vector Pro, and while I haven't used the other one, I can say I am really happy with that suit and Xterra's customer service.
2012-03-22 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Full wetsuit.

2012-03-22 3:53 PM

User image

San Diego, CA

Full suit, definitely!

As for the model, I've had the Vortex for 3 years now and it's great!  I tried on the Vector Pro but couldn't justify the extra money.  I haven't had any real troubles with the flexibility, just make sure you pull up the sleeves far enough to allow your arms to extend comfortably above your head during the swim.

P.S. Like others mentioned, the customer service at Xterra is really top notch!

2012-03-23 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Thanks for everyone's input - I'm leaning towards the full Vortex due to cost.  Then of course the schwaggle comes today with a deal on 2XU wetsuits.  Anyone have any experience with them, especially the R:1 race model?  How do they compare quality and durability-wise to Xterra?  Thanks again for everyone's opinions.
2012-03-23 9:24 AM

I'm trying to decide the same thing, xterra v. 2xu... FYI, the discount code for xterra R-Omaha actually gives more of a discount than activeadv.
2012-03-23 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
B70 all the way baby!
2012-03-23 11:11 AM

User image

I don't know if there is a flexibility difference between the Vortex and the 2XU R:1 but how can you beat Xterra's 5mm neoprene all the way down the legs?  Most other wetsuits including the R:1 only have 5mm in the chest and hips areas.  Is the R:1 better built?  Does it have more flexibility and range of motion?  is it more durable?  If all of the above are comparable then I don't know how 2XU can compete at essentially the same price point with a much more bouyant wetsuit from Xterra.  Am I missing something?  Also what is the highest active Xterra discount that you guys have seen out there?

2012-03-23 11:26 AM

The best xterra discount I've seen is R-Omaha. With that code the vector pro full sleeve is 240 instead of 600.
2018-08-23 4:19 PM
in reply to: SEwantstobeFe

DO NOT ORDER ONLINE WITHOUT KNOWING YOUR EXACT SIZE AND SUIT ORDER!

This is a first for me, but I felt that if this even helps one other person save hundreds of dollars then it is worth the review.

These are great wetsuits but DO NOT attempt a return. KNOW your size and exact suit before ordering. You will NOT get an exchange or your money back. Below is the process I have gone through and been scammed out of my money.

I ordered the suit on 7/5.

I received the suit on 7/10.

I tried it on and it did not fit. I followed the exact process as described for trying on and drying your wetsuit. This is not my first time putting on a wetsuit, I am very familiar with the handling process.

I returned the suit on 7/21, via the exact same postal service in which it was sent to me, UPS Ground.

The suit was delivered on 7/25. I have confirmation via UPS Ground.

I followed up with Xterra on 8/2 asking for details because I had not heard from them about the return and got no response.

I followed up with Xterra on 8/6 asking for details because I had not heard from them about the return and got no response.

I called Xterra on 8/7 asking for details and the individual on the phone could not find my order.

Xterra, emailed me on 8/8 alerting me that Xterra had lost the package.

I provided shipping information on 8/9 and got no response.

I followed up on 8/13 and got no response.

On 8/15 Xterra followed up saying the suit had been damaged even though it had been sent back 4 weeks prior in perfect condition.

I followed up on 8/16 with photo evidence that the suit had been returned in perfect condition and got no response.

I followed up on 8/22 as I had gotten no response.

Xterra responded on 8/23 saying they believed I had ripped gashes into the wetsuit with my finger nails and refused an exchange or full return. I believe this is being used as the rationale as it is a very common way to damage suits and a challenging claim to prove false.

I followed up on 8/23 with my recounting of events and photo evidence and was hopeful for a resolution.

Xterra responded on 8/23 with “We have been in business for over 17 years. Our company is the largest triathlon wetsuit manufacture in North America. [….] You damaged the suit. There is no reason to debate this fact.” This has been the worst customer service of my life. The FACTS I know are that, I ordered a suit that was two large and returned it in perfect condition asking for an exchange in a smaller size. The facts I DO NOT know… I do not know what happened to the suit during the three weeks it was lost in Xterra’s own facility. I do not know that the picture of the damaged suit they are sending is of my suit or a completely different damaged suit. It is frustrating and above all else disappointing. Before you order, remember that as the consumer, you have no power and that Xterra holds all the cards. The most I can do it post this review to try to help the next person not get robbed.
2018-08-23 5:54 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by SEwantstobeFe I'm planning to use the one of the latest discount codes from active.com (ACTIVEADV for 57% off) to purchase an Xterra wetsuit (my first wetsuit).  I am wondering what the differences are between the Vortex and Vector Pro?  Is the Vector Pro worth the extra cash for a beginner who will probably be MOP at best?  Any durability issues between the two?  I'm also debating full sleeve vs. sleeveless - does that sway the vote between the models?  Thanks for your help.

I got the Full Sleeve Vector Pro three years ago ago. I think it had a higher quality material in the solders for more flexibility, additional panels in the legs for improved body position in the water and addition grip panels on the fore arms for pulling through the water. 

I got the full sleeve because I wanted to be faster (full sleeve should be faster than sleeveless).  I was on the boarder to two sized and went with the smaller of the two because I was advised that tighter was what more experienced swimmer went for again for more speed.  My was really hard to get on.  When I got in the water is expanded so I though the size was okay but I couldn't restreatch the sholders when I was in the water so I often felt like I was pulling medicine bands with every arm stroke in the water.  I was about 15 sec/100 yds faster in the wet suit so I didn't worry about the stretch in the Sholders in the wet suit I just adapter and was happy.  

Last fall I left my wetsuit at home (rushed packing).  I planed to do the swim in my speedo jammer shorts but the guy next to my on the T1 told me that he was borrowing a friends Freak of Nature Wetsuit and I could borrow his Vortex if I wanted it.  I took him up on the offer.  It was a size larger and sleeveless.  I had a great swim and loved how easy the wet suit wet on and off.  So...I got a new wet suit to get a size larger. Price for the Sleeveless Vengeance and the Sleeved Vortex were about the same, so I opted to go for the Sleeveless Vengeance.  I figured that would be a better addition to the sleeved Vector Pro than a Sleeved Vortex.  I like the sleeved wetsuit better in the water, but I like the sleeveless better in Transitions.  I have both so I can choose which to wear.  I have been sticking with the larger sized suit though.  I am haven't to back to back swims, but think I am with in 1-2 sec/100 yrd the same speed in either suit.

Note: if you are like all the rest of us your first wet suit will just teach you what you like and in a few years you will get a new one.  So...shop wisely so that you can either put all you money into getting the one you want the first time or so that you can some money back to get something else in a few years.  :-)

2019-03-04 2:57 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

I'm racing my first IM , which is 70.3 texas. I hear the waters will be in the 60s. I've never swum in a wetsuit before and debating between the full vortex or sleeveless vengence which is about the same price at $150. I'm a bit uncomfortable with cold the I'm wondering if i should go full vortex for more warmth but less shoulder mobility or sleeveless vengence that cold be a tad colder but easier on the strokes.
2019-03-04 10:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-03-04 10:16 PM

2019-03-05 11:09 AM
in reply to: guavajuice

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by guavajuice I'm racing my first IM , which is 70.3 texas. I hear the waters will be in the 60s. I've never swum in a wetsuit before and debating between the full vortex or sleeveless vengence which is about the same price at $150. I'm a bit uncomfortable with cold the I'm wondering if i should go full vortex for more warmth but less shoulder mobility or sleeveless vengence that cold be a tad colder but easier on the strokes.

I have never needed a wet suit for warmth.  I can swim in 65-70 deg water without any problem.  Lower than that the long sleeve wet suit is nice but your face still stings so you just have to accept that the water is cold and that you are fine with that.  I have run in as cold as 5 deg F and that was the same thing.  Your face still stings but your can do the triple layer of running tights/tops and be fine with everything else.   The purpose of the wet suit is speed.  The buoyancy of the wet suit holds you higher in the water improving your body position. They slick surfaced reduce drag through the water, and some of grip panels on the fore arms, etc to help you get a hold on the water.   If you can't swim in the water without a wet suit, then you shouldn't be swimming in the water with one.  You wet suit should be for speed.   The Full sleeve will give you more covered area which is faster.  The the sleeveless Vengeance has more buoyancy in the legs than the Vortex does so it will put your legs up higher in  the water, especially if you have the sleeveless,   Some people can get used the the sleeves though and it effects there stoke.  In that case the sleeveless is a better option.  

2019-03-06 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I have a full sleeve Vortex and have had it for 3 years doing sprints to full IM's. No issues. Love it. Fast and fits right.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra wetsuits - Vortex vs. Vector Pro? Rss Feed