General Discussion Triathlon Talk » return to running after injury-best plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-21 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: return to running after injury-best plan

Hello all,  I need some advice.  I have been running on a regular basis since 2003.  Most recently I did a HM in Sept. and again in Oct.  I felt the all to familiar comings on of PF last summer and treated it as best I could.  It got some better, but then really reared its ugly head in Oct.  After my last half I took off maybe 2 weeks and saw a sports ortho doc.  He told me that I did not have to stop running and he prescribed Mobic, PT and a continuation of all the traditional things I was already doing.  So it did get some better, but then for some unknown reason it got really bad at the end of Jan.  So I decided to take 2 months off.  Most recently I have found out that not only do I have PF, but I also have bursitis in that foot, and it is the bursitis that is causing me more pain now.  I had an injection in the heel on Monday.  I was planning on testing my foot beginning in April.  If it continues to feel ok I'd like to get running again.  I'm just not sure how to go about it.  I was at 27mpw at the end of Jan.  My logs are completely current.  I have been cycling and swimming and using the elliptical in Feb. and Mar.  I really want to start back out pretty slow as I don't want reinjured.  I don't have any particular events on my schedule I just want to add the running back in.  So do I start back out at 3 days/week or back to 5 like I was before?  And do I start out with maybe 1 mile runs or what?  And how quickly can I get some mileage going?  The 10% rule will take forever if I start out at 1 mile.  And if I test it out and it isn't 100%, then I will take April off as well.  I really want this foot healed up.  But advice is appreciated.  Thanks so much!

jami

2012-03-21 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4106889

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: return to running after injury-best plan
Your foot has to be pretty badly injured to need a complete rest, but it's possible. I tried that too. The trouble is that your foot gets weaker from the pf and more likely to get re-injured. Complete rest will let the injury heal but it's left weak and scared.

Stretching and massage can help break up the scar tissue, but over-stretching can cause new tears. Just getting out of bed and standing up can be over-stretching at first and for that I found some house slippers with a bit of heel. Gradually increase the stretching.

If you can walk without causing more injury, that's a good start. If you can handle short easy runs, fine, but give it a few days after each run before you consider yourself home free. I found I had to push through some mild discomfort sometimes to get the foot stronger. Be careful though and back off if there's sharp or excessive pain. Even if it feels good, build very, very cautiously. 2 or 3 times a week is enough when starting back from a complete rest for pf. For myself at least I found I could increase by more than 10% but be extremely careful about adding intensity. Good luck!
2012-03-21 3:50 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I would start out with 1 mile walk 5 days a week for week one if everything goes well.  Then second week you can probably up to 2 mile walks.  Week 3, 3 mile walks with a couple at 4 miles.  If everything is good at this point add in walk 4:00, jog 1:00. for that week, then walk 3:00 jog 2:00 next week, walk 1-2 jog 3-4:00 following week, then you should be gtg for jogging slower for all runs.  I am not sure how that will treat you, but that was my recovery from calf pulls, 2 months off etc.
2012-03-21 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

I took six months off last year after a stress fracture. My self-written return schedule went something like:

Week 1: .5 mile run to test things out.

Week 2: 2x .5 mile run to make sure I can handle recovery within a few days.

Week 3-8: 2x runs increasing by .5 every week

Week 9+: 3x runs increasing by .5 every week, making sure I can handle recovery with running e/o day.

Etc. etc. etc. I'm now three months into my return and it's so far, so good -- no pain, and I should be up to 5 miles by this weekend. I'm probably taking it a little more cautiously than I need to but I'd rather come back super slowly without injury than re-injure myself and have to take another (torturously long) six months off.

I understand the 10% rule for longer distances but when you're coming back with 1-2 mile distances it's kind of ridiculous. I mean, 1/10th of a mile is going to make that much difference? It's like from your driveway to your neighbor's driveway.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » return to running after injury-best plan Rss Feed