General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training - nautilus vs free weights? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-21 4:22 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Strength training - nautilus vs free weights?
Is there a noticeable difference? I've been doing the circuits but I wonder if I'm getting the full benefits? I also wonder if I'll need a trainer to make sure I have correct form.

2012-03-21 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4107113

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Subject: RE: Strength training - nautilus vs free weights?
I see that you're new here.  Welcome!  If you take a look a little lower on the Forums page, you'll see a "Strength Training" forum.  You'll have better luck getting an answer to your questions there.
2012-03-21 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Strength forum....

But as long as you asked...When using Nautilus your form is mainly dictated by the machine.  So it's hard (not impossible) to use the wrong form.

Also, your muscles don't know how the resistance is being applied.  Machines can give you the same results.  It's just that with free weights there is so much versatility and variety available that you usually don't find in machines.  It takes dozens of machines and hundreds of thousands of dollars for a gym to provide the same variety via machines so you won't usually find all the same options.

But for your purposes, and when doing circuits, the machines are fine.  Don't hesitate to continue with that program.

1 or 2 sessions with a personal trainer can be invaluable regardless.  They can show you a good routine, make sure you are doing things right, structing the sets correctly, they can advise you on frequency, weights, exercises, maybe diet.  Then you can go forward on your own knowing the routine is solid.

2012-03-21 4:38 PM

User image

Elite
I think most people concede that free weights give a better workout but are harder for a novice to use safely.  As a result, the fitness center at work only has Nautilus machines.  I prefer dumbbells but use what is available.  I can say that the Nautilus makes it fast to change weights and keep up with a fast paced workout.  I usually use an ascending sequence adding 10 lb to each set.  I just move the pin one position and go again.  It is harder if you have to grab a different dumbbell or add weight to the bar.  So I use the fitness center once or twice a week.  I continue to do a sort of warmup routine every morning with really light dumbbells (which I call sissy weights) for a more complete full body exercise.  I am not a serious weight lifter.  The weights are just is a supplement to running and biking for all around fitness.  I use the Nautilus for heavier weights.   So, for me, Nautilus is fine and has a few advantages.
2012-03-23 9:33 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I don't think anyone has mentioned that machines isolate muscles in a way that doesn't reflect demands of real world activities. It may build tone and burn calories, but you'll be much better off doing exercise that require your body to stabilize joints & work in multiple planes. If you're not sure about form, definately get a trainer to show you. IN the past I've enjoyed my weight training the most when I've done only dumbell & bodyweight work. (Dumbells force each limb to work independently)
2012-03-24 12:52 AM

I've been working with a trainer for a few months now.  Early on we used a few machines, but other than the lat pulldown, he rarely has me use the machines anymore.  Lately he has me doing HITT (High Intensity Interval Training), kettlebells, and Olympic style lifting or whatever he finds laying around. 

I call him the opportunist because he'll have me use whatever someone else has left out.  "Oh where did this jump rope come from, OK give me 30sec."  or "Somebody left some TRX straps out, let's use them."  It keeps it interesting since it makes for more variety.  I hate the HITT because it kills me.  

2012-03-24 4:02 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Free weights all the way!  It takes more stabalizing muscles to use free weights, I get a better range of motion also.  Normally the machines do not fit me properly.  The final test for me is, I'm a lot more sore from using free weights than machines..that is a good thing.
2012-03-24 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4110978

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

KWDreamun - 2012-03-24 5:02 AM Free weights all the way!  It takes more stabalizing muscles to use free weights, I get a better range of motion also.  Normally the machines do not fit me properly.  The final test for me is, I'm a lot more sore from using free weights than machines..that is a good thing.

This.  Provided you either study up a lot or get a competent trainer/friend to make sue you don't injure yourself with poor form.

2012-03-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4111059

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Zero2Athlete - 2012-03-24 8:48 AM

KWDreamun - 2012-03-24 5:02 AM Free weights all the way!  It takes more stabalizing muscles to use free weights, I get a better range of motion also.  Normally the machines do not fit me properly.  The final test for me is, I'm a lot more sore from using free weights than machines..that is a good thing.

This.  Provided you either study up a lot or get a competent trainer/friend to make sue you don't injure yourself with poor form.

X3, versus machines/nautilus only if you have propper form. I highly recommend including HIIT type training with kettle bells, trx bands, resistance bands, for a more functional workout for triathlon purposes. Focuses more on core and multi purpose functional movements that translate better to endurance training. This is all in lieu of doing more s/b/r if you feel the need to stay on a strength-related regimen.
2012-03-25 11:31 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Nautilus or Free Weights??

I'd say that the best answer is simply: Yes. 

Do a mix of both.  Yes, you can do all of everything with one or the other, but they both have their positives and negatives, they each have a place... so why short change yourself with a narrow one-or-the-other view??

As for the trainer part... I'd highly recommend it.  Go talk to a good, certified trainer and tell that what your goals are, and how much time you are able to devote to it (hours per day, and days per week) and then have them put together a workout regimen for you.  

One of the best things I ever did was do exactly that with my trainer... and he created a great plan for me that met my goals.  We changed up the regimen every three months (and still do) to keep the body guessing. 

As for form... hopefully, the gym you go to has trainers that are attentive enough to offer unsolicited advice on form when they see it happening.  It keeps their clients uninjured and they get more results from their workouts.  

2012-03-25 10:55 PM
in reply to: #4112061

cgregg - 2012-03-25 11:31 AM

As for form... hopefully, the gym you go to has trainers that are attentive enough to offer unsolicited advice on form when they see it happening.  It keeps their clients uninjured and they get more results from their workouts.  

During a workout with my trainer, he pointed out someone doing deadlifts and asked me,"What's he doing wrong?"  It made me cringe, it was a back problem waiting to happen.  He went over to tell him how to do it properly, but the dude blew him off.

2012-03-26 5:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I do a combination of both. I have bad shoulders so I can't use a straight bar for anything. I instead press dumbbells and then for other workouts use the fly machine. The presses definitely require better stabilizers and strengthen the core. I also have a problem with using free weights for arm workouts so I either use resistance bands or the tricep machine. I use free weights for most of my back workouts. Have fun!
2012-03-26 8:15 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Free weights.  There is a lot of benefit to working your stabilizer muscles.  There is a place for cable machines but the bulk of your workout should be freeweights. 
2021-04-29 10:35 AM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete

Absolutely! This is also the advice to me from the experts when I am a begginer.

---
*Scrolling old threads to get ideas
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training - nautilus vs free weights? Rss Feed