General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill/Climbing Training in SW Michigan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-21 9:03 PM

Regular
Subject: Hill/Climbing Training in SW Michigan

I'm racing Ironman Mont Tremblant later this summer and with training just getting started (almost done with week 3 of a 24 week plan) I am thinking that I need to start focusing a bit more on hill training.  Based on the elevation profile, the course is going to include quite a few long steady climbs.  

So, does anyone have any favorite routes or areas in Michigan??? I would prefer to stick in the SW/Grand Rapids area, but I would be willing to travel a bit if I have to.

2012-03-22 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4107446

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Hill/Climbing Training in SW Michigan
If you are willing to take a training weekend, the Leelenau Peninsula has some great hills to train on. Pierce Stocking Drive in the Sleeping Bear National Lake shore is seven miles of hill climbing. The hill on the south side of Glenn Lake up to inspiration point is a challenge for me-I went up and down five times one day and it almost killed me. The roads have little traffic on them, are in great shape and most of them have lots of room for bikes. Every time I go up there and ride for a few days I always come back stonger.

There are also some great running trails in the Sleeping Bear Lakeshore. You can go miles and miles without ever running on a paved road-also with lots of elevation change.

Swim in Lake Michigan-with a wetsuit.

Pretty much training nirvana.

I don't know how useful this is to you because it is probably 2.5 hours from Grand Rapids but I thought I would throw it out there.
2012-03-22 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
I don't know how big of hills you are looking for but it is fairly hilly around where I live.  A good ride is around Gun Lake, there are some decent hills on the south side of the lake.  There is also a road just north of Middleville called Parmalee that has some very hilly sections.  This is all within 30 minutes of downtown Grand Rapids. 
2012-03-22 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

CraigT has a good suggestion.  If you have a cross, hybrid or MTB riding the roads of Barry Roubaix would be a decent ride, you don't have to do all your training on a tri/road bike.  Might actually help break things up.  The year I did a full I had to drive 30 to 40 minutes to get to quieter roads for riding making it a chore, not to mention added cost of fuel.  Since then I've picked up a hybrid and do the majority of my training on that when outside and enjoy some dirt road riding.

Another option up north is in the area of Boyne by riding the Mountain Mayhem course.  The maps are on there site and the pavement is marked before every turn and would be easy enough to follow.  Some of the roads on the last part and there "Wall" section are in terrible shape though.  Plenty of hills.

2012-03-22 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4107785

Regular

I was there last summer and know exactly the climbs you are talking about. The climb to Inspiration Point is a challenge, but that view over Glenn Lake is well worth it.  I did it once - 5 times is just sadistic! We try and get up there once or twice a year. We have a place to stay for free on Lake Leelenau so I might have to get up there a couple more times this year.  My wife loves it up there so I'm sure she won't complain.

I've never done the SB running trails before though. I might have to make a full training weekend out of it.

Now.... SHHHHHhhhh.... let's try and keep our training Nirvana a secret.

2012-03-22 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4107892

Regular

I'm actually doing BRX this weekend for the first time. I rode the course a couple weeks ago and there are definitely some good climbs on the course. I didn't venture too far off the course though to see what else there was.

Good call on not doing everything on a road/tri bike. I'm still getting used to MTB riding and it can be frustrating to see that MPH dip down a lot lower than on a road/tri bike, but in terms of a workout, I am getting as good of a (if not better) workout.

Thanks for the recommendation on Mountain Mayhem.  Looks like some of my best options are going to be to head north to Boyne and Leelenau.

2012-03-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4107803

Regular
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm headed down to do Barry-Roubaix this weekend and know that there are some good hills there from when I pre-rode the course.  It is still a fairly new area to me though so I'll have to do some more exploring.  Thanks for the tips!
2012-03-22 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Oh yeah, I forgot you were doing BR this weekend.  Don't fret the MTB vs Tri Bike thing.  Saddle time is saddle time, I just try to approximate what a scheduled ride would take me on my training plan on my tri bike and convert it for my hybrid ride time.  Get the MPH out of your head even though it can be tough.

I rode my tri bike today outside for the first time since crashing last June at the Mayhem ride and was shocked how fast it felt.  I know I can't neglect some saddle time on the tri bike, but love riding my hybrid "Tank Bike" off the beaten path.  Nothing like seeing more deer, wild turkeys, runners, riders over cars buzzing to close to you.  

2012-03-22 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
One good ride is if you park at the State Park and turn right.  Turn right at the first stop sign, then turn right to follow the sign for Baypointe and right again at the next stop sign, it will basically circle the lake.  Good roads the whole way and you can certainly ride your tri bike the entire way. 
2012-07-16 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids
kevinneumann - 2012-03-21 9:03 PM

favorite routes or areas in Michigan??? I would prefer to stick in the SW/Grand Rapids area, but I would be willing to travel a bit if I have to.

KN,

Any other "secret" good hill rides right here in GR you like?  I'm in final build weeks for IMKY and have had my final "close call" on Honey Creek/Egypt Valley.  Looking for some good off the beaten path hills.  Recently I've been working Snow Ave, Bewell and Guiford off of Grand River drive, but i'm fearing those might not be enough.

One idea i had was to take my MTB and figure out what gear would match my granny gear on my tri bike and then just going up and down the hill at Cannonsburg ski area.

Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

Brad/IMKY@50

2012-07-18 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4314451

Regular

Sadly no secret hills that I am aware of.

There is a decent climb on 68th near the Thornapple River but not really anything near it and the roads are crappy. I still try and hit it if I am riding out that way any ways.

I haven't had any close calls on Egypt Valley myself. I avoid Honey Creek though. I've driven Honey Creek and seen the way others drive it so no way am I biking it. For Egypt Valley I usually do repeats starting at 3 mile, up the big hill to 4 mile and then take 4 mile to the end and then back.  It ends up being about 500' climbing per loop. 4 mile is nice because it dead ends into dirt roads so the only traffic is really people going to the Cannonsburg trails. They are mostly cyclists so they give you plenty of room.

Good luck with your final build weeks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill/Climbing Training in SW Michigan Rss Feed