General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LS Radiculitis . . . Lower back pain anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-22 11:22 AM

New user

Subject: LS Radiculitis . . . Lower back pain anyone?

Just went to the doc and he said I may have Lumbosacral Radiculitis in my lower right back.  I can only run half a mile before I get pain in my lower back/hip.  Anyone experience this before?  How did you treat yours?  How long did it take to overcome?  Do the symptoms linger for a long time?  I am itching to get back out there but I know I need to fully take care of this before hitting it hard.

Would be thankful of any advice!

2012-04-04 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4108349

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: LS Radiculitis . . . Lower back pain anyone?
2012-04-18 10:58 PM

HI, this is waht I see day in and day out at the office.

Radicultis means inflamation of the nerve root. To have proper diagnosis you need MRI not XR. YOu may need EMG and NCV if symptoms over 3 weeks. Then possibly low back traction with antiinflammatory. Forget PT: it does not work for thatl. Possibly an epidural injection dow the road and use shoes with great cushion when running. Avoid low back extension and heavy lifting. But first is diagnosis. People and even some docs uses a lot of diagnostic words but do not get that word stuck in your brain until proper diagnostis has been made. GOod luck

2012-04-27 9:21 PM

Possibly...There are many other diagnoses to consider. Do you have any pain, cramping, numbness, or tingling into the right lower extremity? If so, where?

Radiculitis is nerve root inflammation, but the important part of diagnosis is determining what is causing the inflammation. Only then can you treat the underlying cause. It could be coming from various things such as a herniated disc or osteophyte (bone spur). You also cannot rule out sacroiliitis or sacroiliac dysfunction either as these can have similar presentations, although these don't tend to result in lower extremity symptoms.

Get a referral to see a physical therapist. They will evaluate you and decide the appropriate plan of care. I'm not sure about Dr. B's experience with PT, but my personal experience and clinical research supports physical therapy for any of the above diagnoses. 

The first step is getting evaluated to determine the cause of the inflammation. Then treatment is simple for a skilled practitioner.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LS Radiculitis . . . Lower back pain anyone? Rss Feed