Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anybody Here a Physical Therapist? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-22 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Subject: Anybody Here a Physical Therapist?
I've been working in public accounting (tax) for the past 2.5 years (2yrs with a Big 4 firm and 1/2 with a local midsized firm). I left the B4 firm because I hated the hours, lifestyle and office culture. I enjoy the local firm much more than the B4 firm but I've also realized that I just don't love tax and accounting. I don't find the work exciting or fulfilling. I don't like what I'm doing and the thought of doing this for the next 30 years makes me really depressed. I've been mulling over a complete career change and I'm pretty sure that I want to quit my job as a CPA and go back to school for physical therapy. I'm naturally attracted to the opportunity that I would have to help athletes recover from injury as a triathlete but more importantly I think I would enjoy having the ability to help people in general (regardless of athletic background) recover from injuries and accidents. I think I would find a lot more satisfaction as a PT than I do as a pencil pusher.

This career change would require 9 undergraduate classes as prerequisites to a Doctor of Physical Therapy program. All together I'm looking at about 5 years of school. I'm 30, married and don't have any kids (but that would likely change in the next 2 years as my wife and I would like to start a family). My wife makes close to 2x my salary as a physician's assistant so financially this wouldn't be a strain on the family. She's supportive of my desire to pursue a more fulfilling career.

So, if anybody here is a PT would you mind sharing a little with me about your career? What do you enjoy most about it, what things would you change, were do you see the profession heading in the next 10-15 years, what can I do now and through the schooling to build a foundation for being a great PT? Do the benefits of the career (job satisfaction and compensation) outweigh the cost of a career change at 30yrs old (3k for undergrad tuition + anywhere from 30-85K for the graduate degree...I have about 1/2-3/4th of this covered in savings provided nothing horrible happens to us in the meantime)

I know most of my question would be best answered my speaking with a PT in person which I'm planning to do when I'm not surfing the internet during tax season

TLDR version:
I hate my job as a CPA and want to pursue a DPT...seeking advice from current PT's.

Thanks!

2012-03-22 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4108884

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Anybody Here a Physical Therapist?
I'm a PT and have been for a long time. I also work with a PT who left a big accounting firm in NYC to go back to school to be a PT; like you he was good at his job but did not enjoy it.  Feel free to PM me with any of your questions; I really enjoy what I do.
2012-03-22 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4108959

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

Awesome! I will definitely send you a PM either after work or later this week. I'm pretty sure I want to do this but the cost of a DPT has me a little freaked out. I think in the end if PT is what I really want to do and would make me happy then it's worth the cost and I should go for it.

Thanks again, talk to you soon!

PTinVA - 2012-03-22 1:39 PM I'm a PT and have been for a long time. I also work with a PT who left a big accounting firm in NYC to go back to school to be a PT; like you he was good at his job but did not enjoy it.  Feel free to PM me with any of your questions; I really enjoy what I do.

2012-03-22 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I'm not a PT (but my sister is!).

But I was going to chime in on the life in general aspect.  One of my really good friends is 34 and just started Med School after being an AF pilot for 12 years.  Talk about a career change!  It's really never too late for a career change if you're working towards something you really want to do that will make you happy.  Now, maybe if you were 50 it would be time to say that ship has sailed.  But at 30?  You're still young!  Do what will make you happy!  You can't put a "cost" on happy.  Entry level PTs really don't make much money from what I understand.  But I know I'd rather be doing a job I love than getting paid a lot of money to hate my job.

I know my sis loves her job (not the paperwork, but the job--the paperwork apparently SUX).  I'm often a bit jealous...especially of the fact that she is almost NEVER injured because as soon as she feels any little niggle she can get someone in her office to treat it.  I think her "dream" would be to work somewhere that's for athletes, like the OTC.  But for now she's working at a clinic that sees pretty much the spectrum.  But her favorite patients are often the athletes that are more motivated to get better.   She's been at this since 2001 and still loves what she does.

2012-03-22 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

I am ALL FOR chasing your dreams and being HAPPY - so if that's what you want - go for it!!

But, to be the devil's advocate, just think about how much this is going to cost you.  If you can pay for PT school without loans - then this isn't so much of a factor, but you'll likely get out of PT school with a BOATLOAD of loans.  I have no undergrad loans, and spent and additional 4 years in post grad medical field schooling and have over 100K in student loans - we call it our "invisible house" because my loan payments are as much as the mortgage on our first home.  It's a 30 year commitment that is TOTALLY do-able given my salary, but to be honest, it's kinda a bummer. 

Just something to think about.  Again, I'm all for switchin it up if you think it's going to fulfill your life.  But sometimes that aspect of schooling is over looked becuase so much time is spent looking at the job you'll have when you're done.

Good luck!!

2012-03-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4109065

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
jldicarlo - 2012-03-22 5:51 PM

I'm not a PT (but my sister is!).

I'm not a PT either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.  sorry, just had to!

In all seriousness, do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.  If you can afford to make the switch and are willing to accept the changes in your life that the career change would make, then I say go for it.

2012-03-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4109289

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

Yeah, my inner accountant tells me that financially this could be a bad idea. I'm a little freaked out about potentially finishing a DPT program with 80K+ in student loan debt. I'd probably come out of school making 70-80K (probably closer to 70K at the start) and I would want to pay that baby off ASAP. My plan is to work my butt off so I could get into NAU which is ranked much higher than any of the private schools in AZ and is nearly $50K less expensive.

However life is too short to keep working some job I don't enjoy. I feel like I dislike accounting enough that I lack the drive to really excel in the profession and that obviously would impact my long term development and earning potential in the profession. I think that with what my wife makes as a PA and the amount of savings we have that I could finish the DPT program without having a huge debt hanging over my head. If I got into NAU I could pay the tuition in cash. If I had to go to a private DPT program I would likely only have half of the 80K+ tuition to pay off if we're smart and make some sacrifices along the way.

Anyways, thanks for the input and advice.   

TriRx - 2012-03-22 6:26 PM

I am ALL FOR chasing your dreams and being HAPPY - so if that's what you want - go for it!!

But, to be the devil's advocate, just think about how much this is going to cost you.  If you can pay for PT school without loans - then this isn't so much of a factor, but you'll likely get out of PT school with a BOATLOAD of loans.  I have no undergrad loans, and spent and additional 4 years in post grad medical field schooling and have over 100K in student loans - we call it our "invisible house" because my loan payments are as much as the mortgage on our first home.  It's a 30 year commitment that is TOTALLY do-able given my salary, but to be honest, it's kinda a bummer. 

Just something to think about.  Again, I'm all for switchin it up if you think it's going to fulfill your life.  But sometimes that aspect of schooling is over looked becuase so much time is spent looking at the job you'll have when you're done.

Good luck!!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anybody Here a Physical Therapist? Rss Feed