General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best/easiest hydration? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-23 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: What is the best/easiest hydration?

Hi,

So now that I have my awesome new Fuji D6, it's time for me to learn how to drink more on the bike. If it's easier I think I can accomplish this.

So far I've been looking at Speedfill A2,F2, and Invicid..the triangle thing. I'm leaning towards the A2, looks simple to fill and use, am I wrong? Also, it says it doesn't come with anything to attach it, if you have a picture of how you did it I can copy it. If there are better options I haven't thought of please enlighten me!

Thanks for your help!

Patsy

2012-03-23 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4110741

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: What is the best/easiest hydration?
I just got the speedfil f2 and like it so far.  its a pretty simple setup and I got it somewhere on the internet for 37.  It was a toss up between the a2 and f2 and with a light and music player mounted on my bars during training it didnt look like the best bet for me.
2012-03-23 6:16 PM

User image

Before you spend any additional money, assuming you already have 2 bottle cages and zip ties available...I would at least try out a bottle cage on the down or seat tube and one zip tied between the aero bars.  To me, this is the easiest and simplest solution.  I don't see how some of the more fancy hydration systems "teach" you how to drink. 

If you find this solution doesn't work for you, then by all means try other things out.  When I got my tri bike, I went for the PD aero drink.  I found out I didn't like the straw in my face...so I bought a rear hydration tail.  I found out that was overkill, and I went to the solution I mentioned above which works best for me.  Had I tried this solution first, it would have saved me a lot of money.

2012-03-23 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4110767

User image

Extreme Veteran
Findlay
tri808 - 2012-03-23 7:16 PM

Before you spend any additional money, assuming you already have 2 bottle cages and zip ties available...I would at least try out a bottle cage on the down or seat tube and one zip tied between the aero bars.  To me, this is the easiest and simplest solution.  I don't see how some of the more fancy hydration systems "teach" you how to drink. 

If you find this solution doesn't work for you, then by all means try other things out.  When I got my tri bike, I went for the PD aero drink.  I found out I didn't like the straw in my face...so I bought a rear hydration tail.  I found out that was overkill, and I went to the solution I mentioned above which works best for me.  Had I tried this solution first, it would have saved me a lot of money.

That tells my story exactly...this year I am going to the bottle on the downtube, and zip tie a cage between the aerobars...

2012-03-23 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the input, interesting..I do have a cage on the down tube and have a spare I can put btwn the bars but guess I'm being kind of a wht weenie since I need all the help I can get.

At my 70.3 this June I was hoping to just have 1 20-24oz bottle like the A2 and fill it when I needed from an aid station. Last year I had 2 24oz bottles on the bike and I maybe went thru 1 so I figure why carry the wht.

I may just bite the bullet on the A2 b/c I'll never know unless I try, I guess it's like finding the right kind of goggles, to each his own. 

Still open to suggestions if u wanna share..

Thanks,

Patsy

2012-03-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4110819

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
PatsyID - 2012-03-23 6:28 PM

Thanks for the input, interesting..I do have a cage on the down tube and have a spare I can put btwn the bars but guess I'm being kind of a wht weenie since I need all the help I can get.

At my 70.3 this June I was hoping to just have 1 20-24oz bottle like the A2 and fill it when I needed from an aid station. Last year I had 2 24oz bottles on the bike and I maybe went thru 1 so I figure why carry the wht.

I may just bite the bullet on the A2 b/c I'll never know unless I try, I guess it's like finding the right kind of goggles, to each his own. 

Thanks,

Patsy

My first thought is that one 20/24 ounce bottle for a 56 mile bike is not enough hydration. How much do you usually drink in training and have you ever done a sweat rate test?

2012-03-23 9:17 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
One bottle mount on the bike in a HIM is probably not enough, though it depends on weather, how frequently you can do an exchange, and what you rother sources of calories are.   I agree with those who say to try one on bike (downtube or seat-tube) and one on the aero-bars.  I prefer to keep a strong sports drink mix in an aero bottle on the downtube and water on the aero bars (which I swap out at aid stations).
2012-03-23 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
I'm in the same boat...trying to figure out how I want to set up my bike.  I have been leaning toward the Speedfill A2...but have been content with my bottle on the down tube.  I'm interested to see other suggestions.    
2012-03-23 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4110883

I recently outfitted my new tri bike with the speedfill system and was not impressed (bulky, distracting, and difficult to clean).  I replaced with the rear X Lab hydration system.  While spendy, it does seem to work well.
2012-03-23 11:51 PM
in reply to: #4110767

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
tri808 - 2012-03-23 4:16 PM

I've been thinking of trying the horizontal bottle between the bars, but I'm wondering how to handle refills in longer races. Do you just toss one bottle away and put in whatever they have at the aid station? It seems that would work fine if I want plain water, but if I want to drop an electrolyte tab in there, then it would be a pain. But I might be missing something obvious.

2012-03-24 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4110949

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
citaltfort - 2012-03-24 12:51 AM
tri808 - 2012-03-23 4:16 PM

I've been thinking of trying the horizontal bottle between the bars, but I'm wondering how to handle refills in longer races. Do you just toss one bottle away and put in whatever they have at the aid station? It seems that would work fine if I want plain water, but if I want to drop an electrolyte tab in there, then it would be a pain. But I might be missing something obvious.

You could drop it in while riding.  But if you've got a bottle on the downtube or seat tube with some electrolytes in it (sports drink, tabs, whatever), do you really need (or even want) one in your water as well?  (I doubt that you do.)

2012-03-24 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4110877

User image

Extreme Veteran
AdventureBear - 2012-03-23 8:10 PM
PatsyID - 2012-03-23 6:28 PM

Thanks,

Patsy

My first thought is that one 20/24 ounce bottle for a 56 mile bike is not enough hydration. How much do you usually drink in training and have you ever done a sweat rate test?

Well, no, I don't know my sweat rate, wish I did but it seems I just don't take in a lot of water. I've read though that you can race better if you do take more in so I'm trying to do that by making it easier to get. I was just gonna put water in the bottle and carry one of those hand held plastic bottle things from Hammer and fill it mostly with Power Bar Gel and mix with a little water. Was hoping to get my electrolytes that way, and then have some extra individual gels and blocks in bento box to top me off. As always, thanks for your input AdventureBear, my nutrition to this point is defined mostly by winging it and so I do appreciate your input.

PP how is the A2 hard to clean? It basically looks just like a bottle, what am I missing here?

Patsy

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best/easiest hydration? Rss Feed