Redemption Race Productions
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 36s
Overall Rank = 64/175
Age Group = 45/49
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

We had scouted the TA area the night beofre so we got up early, dropped off the bike and found a place to park, after that it was time to stumble around in the dark and get situated
Event warmup:

Just some short jogs and light stretches
Run
  • 42m 39s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My gastrocnemius muscle has been acting up since last week-new shoes. It did not really bother me on the run but it made it's presence known so I stayed cautious with it. No falls, or slips, did get my feet wet and that bugged me later. I had skipped socks but wet shoes, no socks equaled some rubbing
What would you do differently?:

Not sure
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

The transition area is just a chip seal parking lot so I didn't want to run barefoot, stepped in my shoes and ran to the mount line-faster than I had thought-can't complain

nothing
Bike
  • 54m 56s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Passed a few, was passed mostly by better mounted riders. Toward the end I was passed by some strong looking riders on road bikes. This was a course that suited road bikes as well as tri bike IMO

be a faster cyclist.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

This time I took my feet out and did my flying dismount thing, not too bad a little rough. Back into my wet running shoes and wobbled down the earthen stair way to the run

socks, perhaps even a second pair of running shoes
Run
  • 19m 20s
  • 1.2 miles
  • 16m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The second run was challenging but the rock itself is beautiful and fascinating. It's amazing how many people make that climb, there were hikers and scouts and random people all over it
Post race
Warm down:

Begin the climb back down the hill

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The pain in my leg and the fact I didn't really train specifically for this Du

Event comments:

This race was put on my calender on a whim, an excuse to go to Fredricksburg and do something different. I may have underestimated the challenge but I think the organizers overstated them too.Not a bad weekend for something i wasn't really focused on

Last updated: 2012-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:39 | 05 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/175
Performance: Average
Course: A trail, several water crossings, some mud, mostly decomposed granite. Not as tough as some made it out to be but plenty challenging
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:54:56 | 16 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Performance: Average
This was an out and back rolling course. The out bound leg was rolling but tended down hill away from the rock and down wind, the return leg tended up hill and up wind. On my drive in the day before I was reminded of why this is called "Hill Country" The wind wasn't harsh but it was steady. Dissapointed with my average speed, I was at 19.7 out bound. I was able to get my HR under control fairly early then let it creep up on the return. I think I really spike my HR on swims more than runs
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling out and back-some cattle guards, not an issue. More down hill out bound and up hill on the return leg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:20 | 01.2 miles | 16m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Started out back on the original run course for about 1/2 mile. The park was open to the public and non runners were beginning to mill around. I was pretty much alone, I could see runners on the rock-they looked like ants, but couldn't easily discern the trail so I paused some to do a bit of orienteering, more water crossings and soon I was on the rock
Course: Enchanted Rock is a giant granite thing that was pushed out of the earth by some geological forces several hundred feet up, a massive thing, people on top and walking up resemble ants on a biscuit. After some preliminary boulders and rough rocks you start up the face with precious little relief, only one tepid plateau then more up and up. My wife met me at the half way point and walked/ran with me until I dropped her. My leg was really hurting and I paused a few times but finished strong.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-25 7:30 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: Enchanted Rock Extreme Duathlon

2012-03-25 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4112499

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: Enchanted Rock Extreme Duathlon
Solid run #1, great transitions times, and I don't know how you managed to climb a darn mountain for run #2!!!  Regardless of how you feel about the race, your RR looks great and you finished strong considering you hadn't trained for this race and had a messed-up leg. Good job! (Awesome that your wife ran with you! Smile 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Enchanted Rock Extreme Duathlon Rss Feed