United States
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 2s
Overall Rank = 40/80
Age Group = 50 - 54 M
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up way to early and sauteed apples and scrambled eggs together and put over a toasted blueberry thing. Drank a pot of coffee and ate a banana.

Did yoga of TV to stretch and lots of leg stretching after that.
Event warmup:

Note this was not a chip timed event so the times listed below are rounded to the nearest minute.

None, it started raining as we arrived but quit a few minutes prior to the race. The noseeums were eating us up.

The temp at the start was 68 and at the end 81 so i took an average of 74.
Run
  • 27m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my 1st dualathon. Guys went out 5 minutes prior to the ladies. I just started training in January of this year so my plans were to take it very easy to be sure I finished. I ran slow, and just talked to folks along the way. It was breezy and wet. I felt very good when I got to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Run a little faster/harder during the 1st part of the run
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I'm still using cages. I got a protein bite, took a sip of water, put on gloves, helmet, sunglasses and took off. Didn't have to change shoes.

It went well
Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 19 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

This was 31K or about 19 miles. I got on the bike quick and got up to speed but got passed almost immediately, then again. I got passed 9 times total. I really thought I would do better in the bike part. I trained for an hour many times but it was on hills where I had time to rest going down. This course was flat. It was also wet at the start and the winds breezy. I was so frustrated at getting passed, I was really ready to give up. I was pedaling hard but I just couldn't go fast. I was running in 17 gear mostly at about a 75 cadence. When people passed me, I would watch them to see how fast they were pedalinng. We were about the same it looked like. I had a hard time at first drinking on the bike. I had to stop pedaling the 1st few times but finally got it. I was drinking coconut water and amino acid for muscle recovery. About 40 minutes into the ride, my right calf started cramping so I started shifting gears going from 18 to 16 just to give my calf a different tension. It really helped. About 1 hr into the race, my quads just above my knees got real tight from pedaling so hard cause I was getting passed...ticked me off... but hey I didn't wreck. This is far and away the hardest I have ridden...ever! I'm proud I didn't give up.

Train more!!!!!!!!, get clip on pedals and shoes and tinkering w/ getting aero bars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

When I got off the bike, my inside hamstrings just froze up and started cramping. I have done a lot of bricks but this is the hardest I've ridden...ever. I could hardly walk. I had no clue they were going to start cramping. I tried stretching but that was a lost cause.

Ride more..not sure
Run
  • 31m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This was supposed to be a hard fast run to make up time lost on the 1st easy run. I was not prepared for my legs cramping. I was holding the back of my legs and walking a lot. I would stop and stretch. I would run for 100 yrs and walk for 10 yards and stretch. At the water break they had beer...THANK YOU!!!!! Carbs and pain killer in 1 drink! I just got into a daze, it was painful going thru it but in a while I was at the finish line and didn't even realize it. I really figured I was doing a 12 - 15 minute mile but when I got to the finish and saw the time I was happy. I did run the last 1/2 mile even w/ the cramping but it was not pretty. I could not sprint at the end as I had nothing left and was ready top throw up.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and got water. Put my bike up and ate a hamburger. I tried to stretch but my hamstrings were so tight I physically could not. I was so frustrated from the bike ride, I just packed up and went home.

hey my wife was there cheering w/ her pink pom poms. Thanks!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Since I started training in January, I believe I have a LOT of room for improvement and it should come fast even if I am 50.

Event comments:

This was their 1st race and I was very pleased w/ it. I hope they come back and do more. If they do, I will definitely race with them again

Last updated: 2012-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 40/80
Performance: Good
Course: The course was flat but wet. Lot of turns as it went through neighborhoods. Very pretty area
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:10:00 | 19 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/80
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: This course was flat, wet in areas. The only hill was over the river which was TINY.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/80
Performance: Bad
Course: Same as 1st 5k
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-26 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: St. Marks Dualathon

2012-03-26 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4112941

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: St. Marks Dualathon
Great job competing when you have only been training for 2 months.  I'm sure you will do better on your next one with a little more hard biking sessions.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Marks Dualathon Rss Feed