Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-03-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4113864

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: stretching for swimming
brickbd - 2012-03-26 1:22 PM

Anyone know a good site to look at for some good stretches that are particularly geared towards swimming? My shoulder is in a little pain after a pool session last night.

Look to have your stroke evaluated instead...stretching is probably not the cure. Can you have someone take a video of your swim?
2012-03-26 3:12 PM

Veteran
austin, Texas

I rarely stretch before swimming, in comparison to how I stretch before biking or running. 

I might do a couple couple big arm circles to loosen up the shoulders and maybe a tricep stretch or two (1. elbow straight up in the air, bicep / tricep perpendicular to the ground -- pull the elbow back with my opposite hand or 2. arm parallel to the ground across my chest, and pulling it closer with my other hand) but that's usually it.  Sometimes I even to pushups, although I'm sure that doesn't stretch anything.  I do these to warm up, rather than jumping into the cold gym pool, cold.

Have you taken swim lessons or had anyone evaluate your stroke?   Your stroke could be causing the pain and stretching might not solve the problem. 

2012-03-26 3:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

Maybe I'm going to get in trouble, but I don't even stretch before I swim...because swimming itself feels like stretching to me. After I'm done, though, if my shoulders are fatigued, it feels good to do that one where you straighten your arm out and pull it across your body, hooking it there with your other arm...like this angry young gentleman I found on the internet to demonstrate. 

You also could have just pulled something if you're new to swimming. I am, and I had sore rotator cuffs the day after my 2nd swim. Went away in a day or two and hasn't returned with further swimming.

2012-03-26 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4113879

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

AdventureBear - 2012-03-26 3:27 PM
brickbd - 2012-03-26 1:22 PM Anyone know a good site to look at for some good stretches that are particularly geared towards swimming? My shoulder is in a little pain after a pool session last night.
Look to have your stroke evaluated instead...stretching is probably not the cure. Can you have someone take a video of your swim?

I agree.  Based on your use of the word "pain" rather than "tight" or "stiff", starting with some stroke analysis would be a good idea.  Most of the time, shoulder pain associated with swimming is the result of a technique issue, such as crossing over or pushing to the side or down rather than just pulling back.

2012-03-26 7:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

I'm not a doctor, but practically an expert in shoulder pain. Because of the nature of the shoulder joint stretching may exacerbate the problem. The musculature around the shoulder keeps it stable. Stretching the muscles can exacerbate a problem if there is any instability in the joint. High elbow recovery can put pressure on the joint. Pulling with your shoulder instead of activating the core stresses the joint. 

Having your stroke evaluated isn't bad advice. If the symptoms don't go away I would see a doctor soon. 

There are little things that may help. Keeping the joint open (don't enter the water with your thumb, but with your hand flat). Muscle strength around the joint (this includes the back and chest, not just the shoulders) is almost always recommended for shoulder health.

Sorry if you already know all this.

2012-03-26 7:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-03-26 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4114350

Coach
Stairway to Seven
brickbd - 2012-03-26 6:28 PM

Hey Guys/Gals,

Thanks for the feed back.  After yesterday, I know for a fact its not just stiff.  It feels like I actually hurt it but I will see in the morning after I drown myself in Ibuprofen!!!  Anyways, no I have not seen a coach for stroke instruction specifically.  So, maybe I do need to do that soon.

Also, I was reading somewhere that if you breath to one side all of the time you put stress on your other shoulder. 

Yes if your breathing technique is bad. No if it's good. If it's good there should be no stress...but most people have room for improvement including many elites and olympians.

if it's the shoulder opposite your breathing direction then it's definately a technnique issue. Breathing to the opposite side will make it feel better only in that it will spread the stress to the opposite shoulder...but it's still not the ultimate fix.

This may be anopportunity to learn correct technique on your NEW side while workign to improve it on the other side.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stretching for swimming Rss Feed