General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heading to Colorado in June Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-28 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Heading to Colorado in June
We're heading to Colorado in June for a bit over a week. My wife and her parents are going backpacking and I'm going to do a little leg busting... er, cycling. The elevation is going to be WAY different than here in Austin.

Anyone have suggestions how to make sure I don't die on the massive climbs? Are there any DVDs you'd recommend for me to do on my trainer? (I'm not too proud to pedal in front of a TV on a gorgeous day if it'll make me stronger on the hills!)

I'm comfortable climbing now (as I'm a skinny lil' guy - 6'1" and 150 lbs soaking wet)... but the hills I climb here are short compared to what I'll get there.

Any advice will be HUGELY appreciated!

-Joel

2012-03-29 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4118081

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-03-29 8:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Heading to Colorado in June

I live in Austin and am heading to CO in June as well.  No big plans except to relax at my in-laws' cabin and enjoy watching our 2-year old explore nature.  I'm bringing my bike with the hopes that I'll get a couple good rides in.

I'll second what was said about altitude and hydration.  I don't think your climbing ability will be the biggest limiter - the change in altitude will.  With that being said, be sure to know the signs of altitude sickness before you go.  And have a blast!!

2012-03-29 12:20 PM

Heh, I live in Colorado but I'll be in Austin (lived there for 10yrs) in May to run my first race.  I'd echo the hydration comments.  Not only due to the elevation, but because it is very dry here.  Not so much in the Summer, but we get single digit humidity.  It made me laugh because people in Austin would complain about the humidity; having grown up on coastal FL, Austinites didn't know about humidity.

I'd probably take it easy the first day or so.  We've had friends come over that have shown mild symptoms of altitude sickness.  Even when just driving in the car, I can sometimes feel the effects when I get over 10,000ft.

Have fun!

2012-03-29 3:37 PM

Veteran
Denver area

x2 on the altitude sickness.

Be sure when you ride that you pack a variety of clothing options.  June is still cold enough for snow, and the weather in the mountains can turn on you with little warning.

2012-03-29 5:11 PM

Master
Houston

Spent 2 weeks in Colorado last year for work.  I didn't take my bike, but nothing worked well.

Swimming was horrible, the tread mill and exercise bike at the hotel were hard... I got out of breath on stairs really fast.

Being in austin you have some hills, but in Houston we don't. I didn't want to add hill work to my lung work.

2012-03-30 1:33 PM

Expert

I moved from Colorado a couple of years ago, and still get back there 3-4 times a year.  I'll second all of the comments about altitude sickness, and hydration.  I would recommend not doing anything too strenuous the first few days, especially if you are over 8,000 ft. altitude.

Depending on where in the state you're going, the hills may not be dramatically different than what you are used to in Austin.  Of course, that pretty goes out the window if you are planning on the mtn bike as opposed to the road.

What part of the state are you planning on being in?

2012-04-04 10:29 AM

New user
Austin

Where in Colorado are you going?  There is a pretty big difference between Denver and say...Breckenridge at over 9,000 feet.  Have you ever been at altitude before...so you know how it effects you?

We went up to Breck last summer, did Vail pass from Breck & back, Hoosier pass from Breck & back, and Loveland pass & back from breck...which includes swan mountain from Stage 5 of last years USAPro cycling challenge.  I think the hills around were we train are harder than the mountains in colorado.  You just dont see the road pitch upwards in colorado like you do on Jester, Far West, or Ladera Norte. 

Like the others have said though drink a lot of water and I'd even think about taking some asprin/advil about a week before you go to help thin the blood a little before you get there (helps me anyway).

Have fun!!  We're not able to get up to the mountains this year

2012-07-11 8:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: UPDATE: Heading to Colorado in June

Wow.  Just... wow.

We were in the Crawford area... high desert.  The temps were upper 90s and low 100s every day with UV values around 12.  It was DANG hot.

My best day of cycling involved just over 3000 feet of climbing.  I rode up Hwy 92 from Crawford State Park and got up to a great view at around the 17 mile mark and decided to call it.  It was a fantastic ride full of minor switchbacks and gorgeous views.  But now I understand why the pros put newspapers under their jerseys on their descents!

My worst day was trying to climb Grand Mesa.  It was an absolute disaster. The first portion was 1-2% grade for just over 10 miles (with a couple bits of 3-4% thrown in for good measure).  I rounded a right hand corner and saw the grade spike.  It went from 2% to 7% in about 1/4 mile.  I made it in about 14 miles and started having a hard time breathing.  It was like I was asthmatic... and I'm not.  I was just having a hard time catching a good breath. At that point, I decided to bail on the ride.  I rode back to the start, loaded up the gear, and drove to the top of Grand Mesa.  On the way, I passed a guy who was powering up like a pro.  He was AMAZING to watch!  By comparison, I felt like I had had training wheels on my ride.  

Overall, it was a good trip.  If you're ever in for a good leg burn, head on up to Colorado and enjoy the views... and the burn.

-Joel

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heading to Colorado in June Rss Feed