Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Moreton Bay Triathlon - 29 April - Beginner needs advice! Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-28 11:35 PM

Subject: Moreton Bay Triathlon - 29 April - Beginner needs advice!

HI there,

I am planning on doing the tri=it=out at the above in Clontarf next month.  Have done a fair amount of runnings so not concerned about that just not sure how I will go on the bike in particular as I have a v bad (Aldi!) bike! 

Anyway, I am just doing it for fun and to prove I can do it.  My main questions are"

What should I wear?  I am female so have a concern about support in particular!  Esp transitioning from swim to bike.  I really don't want to fork out for a load of new stuff for my first, and possibly, only tri.

Are people there to help set up bike and all that kind of stuff?

Is anyone else doing it and a newbie too?  Would be good to know someone else that is in a similar boat.

Just hope I don't come last!

Thanks so much for any advice

2012-04-02 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4118159

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Redlands, QLD, Australia
Subject: RE: Moreton Bay Triathlon - 29 April - Beginner needs advice!
ejlees - 2012-03-29 2:35 PM

HI there,

I am planning on doing the tri=it=out at the above in Clontarf next month.  Have done a fair amount of runnings so not concerned about that just not sure how I will go on the bike in particular as I have a v bad (Aldi!) bike! 

Anyway, I am just doing it for fun and to prove I can do it.  My main questions are"

What should I wear? Bikini is compulsory. I am female so have a concern about support in particular! Sports bikini. Esp transitioning from swim to bike.  I really don't want to fork out for a load of new stuff for my first, and possibly, only tri.

Are people there to help set up bike and all that kind of stuff? You have to set everything up yourself and there is a person assigned to every competitor to shout and laugh at them if they get it wrong.

Is anyone else doing it and a newbie too?  Would be good to know someone else that is in a similar boat. You will be the only person doing it for the first time. Everyone else in Queensland has done at least one triathlon.

Just hope I don't come last! I'm sure you won't be last and I'm equally sure that you'll have a blast. There will be lots of people willing to give you advice and point you in the right direction. Sometimes literally.

Thanks so much for any advice

Please see answers in red above.

Actually you might want to re post this in Triathlon Talk and you might get some serious answers. (the last bit was serious)

Derek.

2012-04-09 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Let me see if I can help:

What should I wear?

A standard training swimsuit or swimsuit top with a sports bra underneath (try it first as you want one that wont rub you when wet and you are on the bike or run). Depends on what shorts you wear on the bike, it may be worth investing in a pair of tri shorts as you can swim in these and you dont want anything to put on before your ride that will be difficult to get on. I but a top on over my swinsuit at transition. You can race in just a swimsuit bottom if you wanted (as long as you know you wont chafe!). Ive always been hopeless at getting anything on when Im wet!

Are people there to help set up bike and all that kind of stuff?

Generally you need to know the  basics of how you want to lay out your stuff... generally i use a towel, fold it in half and layout my shows/socks, sunglasses plus i always put a top on for the ride/run. I also have a spare water bottle for extra sip and to wash my feet if i need to.(make sure you have water on the bike too!)

I put my helmet on my bike but you might wish to put it on your shoes as you have to have it on beforeyou touch your bike. Practice your changes at home too if you can so you kind of just know what you need to do!

There are lots of people around when you are setting up so just ask... generally you rack your bike by the seat and its good to try and get somewhere you can find easily... so take note of where you are as you might enter and exit the transition area from different directions during the race (landmarks help like a tree)

Some races do have roving people to help but anyone will no doubt be happy to show you the ropes!

Just hope I don't come last!

I've actually come last in a race.. and you know what it was SO MUCH FUN! Everyone is really supportive of you just finishing so dont worry about that at all! You stick to your plan and do your best, you are only racing yourself so dont forget to smile! Especially for the cameras at the finish!

2012-04-15 7:02 AM

Hey its my first time doing this try. Work mate found it on the internet. The gold coast one is on the same weekend so I'm not sure how many will be doing it. Good luck!
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Moreton Bay Triathlon - 29 April - Beginner needs advice! Rss Feed