General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to BT and a bit lost as to how to train with BT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-20 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: New to BT and a bit lost as to how to train with BT
Hello everyone. I am new to BT and am a little confused by all the information that is here. I thought perhaps I will post a msg and see if anyone can direct me accordingly.

First, I am a total newbie to the sport of triathlons. My fitness level is as follows: I can swim 500 yards, I have been biking with the local bike club two nights a week and recently bought a new road bike and went 29 miles on the last club ride. My running is the worst. I am running about 2x a week and so far my 5K time is 36 minutes.

My question is this...which training log is best for me and also which plan should I try to get on as a BT member? Levels I mean....bronze, silver or gold?

I have also recently joined the local tri club in town and plan to do some of their workouts which include an open water swim and running workouts. I also found a road runners schedule and plan to do some 5K runs with them.

I would like to utilize this site, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it?

Currently I am doing weights and cycling on Tuesdays and Thursdays (weights in the morning) and for swimming I plan to do it on Mondays and Wednesday mornings with runs in the evening. And weekends I am planning on doing long runs and long rides. I'm not sure if this is a good schedule?

Please move this post to the appropriate spot too! I wasn't sure where to post this!

Thank you!

2006-05-20 12:17 PM
in reply to: #428963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ
Subject: RE: New to BT and a bit lost as to how to train with BT

I have a bronze membership because I have a coach but wanted the full log capabilities so that I can track what I do in here.  I strongly recommend that for everyone, since the guys who run this site need some amount of support to keep up the good work that they do.

If you want access to all the training plans and a human you can ask questions, I believe the gold membership is the best deal in town.  For less than what a coach costs in a month you have full access to detailed training plans and can post questions in a special forum that Mike Ricci will answer.  That was invaluable for me last year. 

There are dozens of different training plans here.  If you have specific days that you can do specific workouts, or if you train better with a group than on your own, I would say to look at those plans for guidelines (periodization, etc) and then work with your groups.  Ask your tri club for recommendations.  If, however, your schedule is more open and you are willing to do some of the workouts on your own, then pick a race to shoot for and an appropriate training plan and start working that way.

The advantage of a training plan as opposed to just going for rides is that you will build more fitness with a coherent plan.  However if you are more likely to do a long ride with a group, then by all means do the group rides.  It's more important to do it than to not do it. 

One last thing - don't let yourself get overwhelmed.  There is a LOT of information here, and much of it won't make sense or be useful to you for a while. 

Welcome and good luck with your training!

2006-05-20 1:02 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
BY posting on the forum, you are alreadey using the site correctly!!!

It sounds like your base fitness is at a good start. If you havn't already, you shouldhtink about any specific races you'd like to train for and what kind of goals you have. My current 5K goal is less than 35 minutes...you are already nearly there with not much training at all! My long rides are also 25-30 miles, so you're right with me on that one too.

Sounds like you are off ot a good start, keep asking lots of questions andyou'll get lots of help. The more specific you can be on the message boards, the better!
2006-05-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: #428977

Elite
Laurium, MI

yep, what they said.  When I joined I was rather inundated by how much info was on this site.  Just by hanging out on the boards, reading posts and asking questions, you will gain a TON of knowledge.

As for plans.  It sounds like you have a pretty solid training stradegy.  The difference between the plans is the level of coaching.  Bronze, silver and gold all have the same features in terms of logging workouts and tracking nutrition.  What is different is that the silver and gold members have more detailed training plans open to them and the gold members have a special message board where they can get individual feedback from coaches.  If you have a set training plan and are happy with it, then the bronze should do everything you are looking for.  You can even set up your workout schedule in the training log, so you can see what you are supposed to be doing that day as well as compare actual to planned.

So I would take a look at the silver/gold plans and see if you like them better then what you are currently doing. 

2006-05-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: #428965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
misanthropic777 - 2006-05-20 12:17 PM

One last thing - don't let yourself get overwhelmed.  There is a LOT of information here, and much of it won't make sense or be useful to you for a while. 

Welcome and good luck with your training!

Thank you! How did you know that I was overwhelmed already! I do feel like I need a more organized routine.

AdventureBear - 2006-05-20 1:02 PM

BY posting on the forum, you are alreadey using the site correctly!!!

It sounds like your base fitness is at a good start. If you havn't already, you shouldhtink about any specific races you'd like to train for and what kind of goals you have. My current 5K goal is less than 35 minutes...you are already nearly there with not much training at all! My long rides are also 25-30 miles, so you're right with me on that one too.

Sounds like you are off ot a good start, keep asking lots of questions andyou'll get lots of help. The more specific you can be on the message boards, the better!

Right now I am signed up for a fun 5K for this Thursday. I am still intimidated by the thought of doing a triathlon although I have been able to do all the distances for each sport. I just signed up to join the local tri club and as of yet have not actually made any of their practices.

There is a sprint tri on June 18th that I'm not sure if I'm ready for....it's 500ys, 12mb and 5Krun. I am just worried that I will be last. I know it's silly to think that way, but I live in a small city and most people who participate in these tris are quite experienced as opposed to say a larger city like Dallas or San Francisco where there might be tris more geared to complete beginners.

vortmax - 2006-05-20 1:26 PM

Bronze, silver and gold all have the same features in terms of logging workouts and tracking nutrition. What is different is that the silver and gold members have more detailed training plans open to them and the gold members have a special message board where they can get individual feedback from coaches. If you have a set training plan and are happy with it, then the bronze should do everything you are looking for. You can even set up your workout schedule in the training log, so you can see what you are supposed to be doing that day as well as compare actual to planned.

So I would take a look at the silver/gold plans and see if you like them better then what you are currently doing.

I feel like I do need more organization and better goals. Right now my own goal that I've set for myself is to get my 5K time down to 32 minutes by August. I am wanting to do a sprint tri in August that is 1/2mile swim, 18.2 mb and 5K run.
2006-05-20 1:56 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

With your background, you could skip the "couch to..." program and concentrate on either the "20 Week Sprint - Run Focused" training plan or the "16 Week Sprint - Run Forcused" program.  They are located at this BT page: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=28

As as many questions as come to mind no matter how trivial you might deem them.  Every bit of information you gather is more fuel for your triathlon quest.

2006-05-20 1:58 PM
in reply to: #428994

User image

Veteran
Spokane, Washington

I wouldn't worry about being last.  My first tri is the same weekend, and there's sure to be someone like me out there behind you.  I can swim a 500 in about 14 minutes, bike 12 miles in about 45, and do the 5k in about 45.   I know I'm not going to win, and I may well be last.  But I am going to finish.

As far as training with BT, the forums are an invaluable resource, and more than anything, logging what you do keeps you accountable.

2006-05-21 12:20 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi Sharon-

Welcome to BT!  This site is a great resource and you can learn a lot just by spending some time reading through the various threads.  Scan through the first few pages of threads on the "Triathlon Talk" forum and I'm sure you'll find others asking questions that you may have.  You can get a lot of answers just by following the other threads.  We're a very open and friendly community here...no question is stupid so don't worry, ask anything.  We all started as complete newbies at one point and personally, I don't have a lot of respect for anyone that acts like they weren't once in your shoes feeling overwhelmed and even a bit intimidated by all the information.  There are several certified triathlon coaches that frequent the forums and a lot of other folks who have a lot of experience but if you want access to that next level of advice and guidance I suggest you sign up for the Gold membership.  You get direct access to an elite level coach who will help you any training or racing questions you might have and also provides support for the training plans that you can load directly into your training log.

Good luck with your training! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to BT and a bit lost as to how to train with BT Rss Feed