General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-03-29 8:05 PM

Subject: Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1
Hi,

Just looking for information about returning to the sport of Triathlon after having a Spinal Fusion, Had the fusion in November 2011, in April it will 6 months and the bone graft should have taken. has anyone returned to running after a spinal fusion, especially long distance tri's.

cheers

2012-04-05 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4119884

Subject: RE: Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1
Don't know about running, but be sure to get a SMP or Adamo saddle, and LLD adjustment from your local fitter.  Need to be sure that your pelvis is supported and neutral, relative to your fusion and the ascending vertebrate. 
2012-04-08 4:45 AM

User image

New user

Hilo, Hawai'i
Just had C4-C5 fused with discectomy on 4/05/2012. Symptoms were weakness in both arms, numb fingers, significant loss of fine motor skills, extreme weakness in both legs and major issues with balance. I walked like I was constantly wasted. My decline from riding 60-80 miles and running 10-15 weekly, to not being able to train or even function on my job (I'm a Locksmith) happened quickly over 3-4 months. After being diagnosed with spinal stenosis, where the spinal cord was being severely pinched, I had surgery a week later. 4-5 hrs after surgery I had my gait back. The next day the feeling in my fingers started to return (not totally, my Dr. says it may never completely return) and I can already spin a screwdriver and pick up tiny parts at work. My Dr. says I can start walking in a few days, running, swimming snd stationery bike in 5 weeks and riding the road in 10 weeks. Not sure if the timeline will work out but considering how good I feel already I am very hopeful. I will update my progress and return to training as it happens. I'm sure this surgery is not the answer for everyone in this situation, (there are other options), but for me, I went from barely functioning limbs to close to normal in a couple days. I look forward to my rehab and return to fitness.
2012-05-02 5:12 PM

I have not experienced this personally, but I treat and rehab this on a daily basis. 

Guidelines/limitations will be set by the surgeon. Listen to them and the golden rule, "if it hurts, don't do it". Having said that, if it hurts, there is a reason for it, so stop. Also, having said that, understand that physical discomfort resulting from hard training is different than pain. Discomfort is okay, pain is bad.

You will benefit from physical therapy, especially core strengthening and LE, specifically hip strengthening. Please understand when I say core strengthening, I do not mean crunches. Planks will be the best to start with (neutral spine position initially).

Cycling: You may prefer a less aggressive (geometry-wise) bike to reduce your lumbar flexion angle (bending forward). It may be a little while before the aero position feels comfortable.

Swimming: You will be back to this first as you are in a generally neutral lumbar position (though slightly extended). It will improve your core strength and your cardio. Still need clearance from your surgeon and will be much easier if you focus on core strengthening.

Running: Involves a slightly extended lumbar spine, but the greatest limitation here is the stress on the hardware. Usually running on softer surfaces such as grass helps this transition. Your pain is the limiter here once cleared by the surgeon.

As with everything related to rehab...start slow and build.

2012-05-03 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Just returned from the ortho spine guy and my prognosis is L4-L5 fusion surgery at some point in the near future, so I'm really interested in this thread. 
2012-05-03 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Do as your surgeon says as far as returning to sports but if your cord is uninjured and your fusion is solid there is no reason you should not be able to return to tris.  When we do scoliosis surgery often times almost the whole spine is fused and kids go do whatever they want once healed.  A single level fusion once successfully healed should not hold you back.

2013-01-28 5:49 PM

User image

New user

Piedmont

Hello,

I am glad u asked the question because I go in a month for S1-L5 fusion and one of my goals after surgery is to complete a triathlon and would be very interested in knowing how your progress has been and if u found any tricks to it. Thanks, best of luck and hope you have an amazing day,

Chris

2013-02-01 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp

Not to hijack the thread but I'm experiencing similar injuries...I'm currently undergoing conservative treatment for spondylolysthesis and bulging discs at L3-L4 and L4-L5. I'm getting physical therapy and epidural cortisone injections. So far, it's not been much help to me; my pain is mostly the same and I certainly can't train. I'm getting more and more depressed. The surgeon says I'm a perfect candidate for fusion surgery and decompression but he wanted me to try some conservative treatment. I'm just ready to get on with the process of getting better; right now I just feel like I'm spitting in the wind.

To the OP...good luck with your road back to training, I hope you get back to where you want to be. I'm coming off of a HIM and registered for November IM but it's looking much less likely that I'm gonna be ready for that IM.

2013-02-22 1:51 PM

I am 14 wks post op for fusion L-5 thru S-1  also two disc and bone graph with laminectomy.  I AM so discouraged.  Because of my nature I can not relax and convalesce very easy.  I started back to master swim 4wks in-took ten weeks to get back to work full out. the bike is giving me trouble, I switched to a road bike and have not gotten back on my tri bike for obvious reasons,have tried recombant trainer. I am working with a trainer on spine stability, and I walk ALOT.  I hurt all of the time and feel I will never be able to run again  :(  I am encouraged by a few of these entries, but I am impatient and wish I had not gone through with the surgery. I miss my tri buddies and have gone to a couple marathons and held sign for them :)

comments appreciated.

Leslie

2013-02-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4133208

I have the adamo saddle but what do you mean about LLD fitting?

Leslie

2013-03-19 1:43 AM
in reply to: #4604386

I have accepted that I may never run over 13.1 again. But hey, at least I can still run. I am tankful for that.

Edited by Brittany91 2013-03-19 1:53 AM

2013-03-19 1:45 AM
in reply to: #4604386

Dave 2.0 - 2013-02-01 6:01 AM

Not to hijack the thread but I'm experiencing similar injuries...I'm currently undergoing conservative treatment for spondylolysthesis and bulging discs at L3-L4 and L4-L5. I'm getting physical therapy and epidural cortisone injections. So far, it's not been much help to me; my pain is mostly the same and I certainly can't train. I'm getting more and more depressed. The surgeon says I'm a perfect candidate for fusion surgery and decompression but he wanted me to try some conservative treatment. I'm just ready to get on with the process of getting better; right now I just feel like I'm spitting in the wind.

To the OP...good luck with your road back to training, I hope you get back to where you want to be. I'm coming off of a HIM and registered for November IM but it's looking much less likely that I'm gonna be ready for that IM.

I was in the same boat as you since Sept. of 2012 I had been trying conservative treatment. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at L5-S1. Not sure of the cause, wear and tear I guess. I'm wasn't exactly ever too fragile with my body. I tried prednisone, 3 epidurals, meloxicam, gabapentin, physical therapy, norcos on the daily just to function at work and school without thinking of pain all the time. Constant sciatic pain down my left leg, couldn't stand for more than a minute or two without pain. So anyhow...in December I decided to have the surgery. I have exhausted ALL of my conservative options. Yeah sometimes I look back and wish I would have just had it done in the first place but hey, the past is the past and I got bigger things to worry about in my future. So I had my L5-S1 fusion and decompression on Feb 27 2013. I am 21 years old and I feel pretty good. I was expecting to be in more pain in my spine area but actually what gives me pain is my hip where they took bone for the fusion. The spine actually feels really no pain. I do have a brace that I wear when not in bed or sitting. Although I usually keep it on when I sit cuz I'm just used to it now. So today I am 19 days post op. I have been walking since that's all I can do. I have done only one sprint tri in 2011 I believe . 3 marathons, multiple halfs, and various trail runs from 10-18miles. I do want to run again, that's my biggest concern, the cycling and swimming I know I'll be able to do but I guess I just need to play it as it goes and listen to my body as well as the dr to some extent. Before the surgery I didn't workout for 6 months. Nothing. I couldn't walk without pain. I was used to working out 5-6 days a week. I have not gone into a depression through all of this. I think because I know that eventually I will be back to pretty much everything. Don't get depressed! There is plenty of life left to be lived and enjoyed! This is just a small speed bump in your life. I look at it as a test, we know we are physically and mentally strong for endurance, but here, find out how strong you are to keep yourself happy in this condition. Find a new hobby or take up a new interest in something. Just before my surgery I bought a rifle to take up hunting, maybe do some competitive shooting in the future, also looking into getting a compound bow. Don't worry, things WILL get better! A lot of rambling but I hope I could be of some help.
2013-03-19 2:04 AM
in reply to: #4633462

lascibienski - 2013-02-22 8:51 AM

I am 14 wks post op for fusion L-5 thru S-1  also two disc and bone graph with laminectomy.  I AM so discouraged.  Because of my nature I can not relax and convalesce very easy.  I started back to master swim 4wks in-took ten weeks to get back to work full out. the bike is giving me trouble, I switched to a road bike and have not gotten back on my tri bike for obvious reasons,have tried recombant trainer. I am working with a trainer on spine stability, and I walk ALOT.  I hurt all of the time and feel I will never be able to run again    I am encouraged by a few of these entries, but I am impatient and wish I had not gone through with the surgery. I miss my tri buddies and have gone to a couple marathons and held sign for them

comments appreciated.

Leslie

You will be able to run again! Give yourself at least a year until you stop feeling pain while doing various workouts. I'm only 19 days post op but I think around a year is when everything pretty much subsides and you should feel pain during workouts or daily life. But also depends on the person too, hope you start to feel better soon!
2013-04-09 3:10 AM

Hi to everyone who has posted since I asked my first question, I thought I might update everyone on how I have been recovering since my fusion. I followed all instructions for the year from fusion (Nov 2011 to 2012). I did clinical Pilates 2 x a week for the year, with swimming and cycling (road bike not time trial bike). Now cycle 3 times a week M,W and Saturdays with an average of about 200kms per week. I have just started running again only 5kms on flat twice a week but am managing to hold together. I have half a numb foot (right) and part of my right calf is numb but otherwise everything else is going well. I have competed in two very small tris, 300m swim, 20km bike and 3km run and happy with performance. Now I hope to get back to an Olympic distance then 2014 I hope to be back doing Half ironman (at least one if I can) I am enjoying training an being with my tri friends so please my advice to you all is if you want and follow instructions you can get back to it in some format. I have pain I the background most days but I can live with it.

Thanks to all the advice and one day I might see you in a race. Good luck to you all.
2013-04-11 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
I am 3 weeks post-op from PLIF surgery (fusion) L5-S1, Finally after exhausting all the conservative stuff! Still in some pain but I'm hopeful that I will be back to training in some form soon. I'm walking everyday with some mild leg (nerve) pain but otherwise I'm doing well. I did take up another hobby, guitar, in the weeks before surgery and that finally helped with the depression, now I'm just focused on getting better and getting back to s/b/r. I'm glad to hear that someone has gone back to tri's after having this done. I'll update in a few weeks after my next checkup.
2013-04-19 1:13 PM

New user

i am so glad to see this post. for the fact that i had a bad injury and had spinal fusion of my L2 sucks cause its so low. and did swim support for the tri's for past 6 yrs and said now i have to do one an olympic (nyc). swim is fine bike well could be better but id be able to finish the run well im thinking at this point isnt going to happen this year. i was ready to give up but i am happy to hear some other peoples stories and it have convinced me not to give up i will still continue to train swim bike and run well we will have to see. thanks all

2013-05-30 12:06 PM
in reply to: twins2167

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Here's an update on MY situation:

I'm now 10 wks post op (L4-L5 Posterior Lumbar Intervertebral Fusion) I'm feeling really good. Still have a little pain in my lumbar area that Tramadol twice daily takes care of pretty well. I have had some significant numbness in my legs and feet, mostly left leg where L5 innervates down through the top of my foot and through big toe; most of that numbness is now gone and most of the pain associated with it is gone as well. I've been swimming laps in the pool for about 2 wks now; up to about 2000m now and no problems there. Docs just released me to get back on the bike slow and easy. I got on the trainer this morning for just an easy spin and although I'm obviously a little more stiff than I was, no real discomfort so I'm ecstatic about that. I'm still not released to run yet but I'm happy about my progress and trying to be patient.

I'm registered for IMFL (reg last yr before issues started) and not sure I'm gonna get the "green light" from the docs but I'm hopeful that I may at least get to do the swim and the bike...I'm actually considering walking the marathon portion...we shall see about that I guess.

Things seem to be going well though and I'm thankful for that!
2013-12-10 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Interesting and I'm a little late. I had L5/S1 fusion on Nov 26 2013. I was doing steps the next day with laps around the floor. After 4 days in the hospital I spend my first week walking 3x a day about 1/2 mile each time. By eight days, I'm off the heavy meds. Now in I'm walking almost 1mile 2x a day and take my steps at least twenty times throughout the day. I started driving today too. I'm schedule for a half mana thin in May and Tri season starts right after. I'm working toward competing this year again.

Took two years before surgery...did all the normal stuff. I did heavy core work on my back which I attribute to my speedy recovery. Before Tris and running, I was heavy into lifting, especially legs.

I'm bending slightly now, but can't wait until my staples are removed in 6 days.

2014-01-22 4:32 PM
in reply to: laundryking

Ive also been watching this thread from time to time.

I've had L5 fused with S1 on September 27th, 2013 (spondylolithesis). Im now almost 4 months. I recently started to try running. I find doing 6.5mph on the treadmill at 5 minute intervals with a 1 minute walk break in between to work extremely well. I do this 7 times for a total of 35 minutes of running.

My easy pace used to be 8 min mile, but when I tried that recently outdoors it was too much discomfort.

Still healing and I'm hopeful the 6 month mark will allow me to return to full training. All the literature I've come across seems to indicate thats the magic number.

2014-01-23 11:17 PM
in reply to: Herbcarroll

User image

Expert
Salem
In the middle of my Ironman Training this past year I was Diagnosed with a grade 2 spondylothesis S5-L1. In the morning I would have some pain In my right leg including numbness and in my right buttocks area pretty much all the time. After my Ironman in July I haven't done anything since and the majority of my symptoms have gone away. still have lower back stiffness in the morning unless I sleep in a recliner then it is perfectly fine. I recently hand arthroscopic knee surgery and that has caused me some grief. Turning 50 really sucks. Turned 50 2 hours after crossing the finish line at my Ironman Race (Vineman Full in California). I am heading to Physical Therapy for my knee but my back has settled down since I am not training. I will see if some core strength training helps along with some weight loss. Have decided to stop running and will just focus on Aqua Bike. Hope to bypass any need for a knee replacement later in life and any surgery for the Spondylothesis.
2014-03-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: laundryking

I'm happy to have found this thread. I'm going in for an L5-S1 fusion on March 25th and I'm so scared I'm never going to be able to run again. My surgeon tried to nicely tell me to forget about running and become an "avid cyclist." Boo, hiss! I mean, I realize I'm not going to be running a full marathon 6 months post-surgery, but I would be really sad if I couldn't even do a short distance tri 12 months later.

I re-herniated my disc at the end of July 2013 and have had increasing pain and nerve symptoms ever since. As of now I can't sleep, run, bike, swim, tie my shoes, sit comfortably on a couch, bend over to feed my cats...the list goes on and on. The list of what causes is pain is far longer than what doesn't so not doing the surgery really isn't an option any more. Not only am a I not an athlete at this point, I'm not even a normal adult.

I'm relieved that so many of you are running and competing again. I hope you'll keep checking in to let us know how you're progressing!

2014-03-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: amilwee

In 11 days I'll be exactly 6 months post op. I figured I check in and give an update on my progress after reading amilwee's request. I also remember the feelings I went through when contemplating surgery for a spinal fusion and not being able to find a lot of others (athletes) who went through this and were sharing their experience.

As of now, I'm still not 100%, but I'm confident I'll get there. I can run easy and do so most days for up to an hour. I try to stick to the treadmill to minimize impact and I've been doing 7.5 miles in 60 minutes. I feel when I begin to run my body is hesitant to relax and I focus a lot on trying to find the right form. By the end, my mind is a bit more relaxed and so is my body and stride.

Yesterday it felt like spring so I went to my old running path. I did 8 miles in an hour. My splits were between 8min/mi with some below 7 min/mi. 7:30 being average. A few weeks ago I also did 5 miles at a 7:14 pace. I'm pretty happy about that, but I've made a conscious decision to limit hard workouts for a full year. To put things in perspective my marathon PR is 3:02:25. I'm hoping to get there again.

I'm considering returning to my blog and journaling this for those going through the same thing and interested.
http://www.law-of-inertia.com

2014-03-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: Herbcarroll

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Ok...so I'm updating my status here for the benefit of those who are following this thread....
This past November, I completed my first IRONMAN at Florida, approx 7mos after my L5-S1 fusion surgery. I was very highly motivated to complete IMFL and was able to finish in just a little over 16hrs (ugh!). Due to my recent back surgery I was unable to properly train for the marathon so it was a long death march to the finish...but I finished! I'll try to attach my full race report here if it'll attach.
Haven't done much of anything except ride on the trainer since IMFL. I purposely laid off hard training until my 1 year recheck since I was not fused on last CT in hopes that I could really get back to a s/b/r regimen this spring (now).
I just had my 1 year post-op checkup w/ the surgeon; still awaiting results of imaging but Doc says i can run if I'm not in too much pain. Since my visit with him, I've ran a few times, slow lumbering pace of 10:00-11:30/mile but, hey, any run is better than no run at all, right?!
Overall, I feel pretty good about finishing IMFL; proud of that! My back doesn't keep me from swimming or cycling at all. I'm still in a decent amount of pain everyday no matter what I do; I take Tramadol (Ultram) 50mg twice daily for the pain. I'm usually a little stiff in the morning and when I'm real still for any significant amt of time. I have been trying to develop my run again so I'll try to keep you updated with how that goes.
I suppose I shouldn't complain, I am able to still exercise, work, and do general daily activities and those are the most important things; however, I fear I may never be able to do another IRONMAN and that, my friends, will be a shame, as I was only getting started on this crazy journey.
My new goal, now, is to get back to some decent run form, and complete another 70.3, maybe in 2015???
Good luck, friends! I'll update again when I have news to share!

Attachments
----------------
Race Report for IMFL 2013.pdf (2388KB - 16 downloads)
2014-05-30 8:29 PM
in reply to: Dave 2.0

8 month mark was 3 days ago. things are going quite well. I learned what it means to run and lead with the hips. If I do not, or if I heel strike, things dont work out so well. My adjusted running form has felt awkward for quite a while, and still does but its at least now a familiar feeling rather than trying to figure it out.

I did this recently http://www.strava.com/activities/143820414and I'm fairly confident I'm going to be able to build myself back up to peak condition. I'm still not 100% healed from surgery I think, but I think I'm close and I'm considering racing a half under 90 minutes. My goal before everything fell apart was a sub 3 hour marathon. I think I'll be able to do it.
2014-09-13 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4911450

Hello my name is Mario,

I'm 54 year old who had a triple back fusion L 3 4 to L 5 S 1 with all Titanium harware cage.
about 11 years ago December 2003 after surgery the doctors said I would never be able to run again.
long story short I have successfully completed two marathons 1 in Santa Barbara November 2013 and just recently Utah Valley marathon June 14th 2014 I'm a certified personal trainer and believe and never giving up.
Anybody wishing to contact me with questions and
comments please feel free to use my email at
[email protected].

I have an interesting mission. Anybody out there want it help with ideas I would love to run across the United States of America about 3000 miles in less than 12 months to raise money and awareness for obesity and diabetes.

thank you
Mario Bonello
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Rss Feed  

of 2