Mississippi Track Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 48s
Overall Rank = 67/99
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00ish. Screwed around on BT for a while, doing a few inspires. Then ran around like a chicken with its head cut off getting ready, and getting the children ready to go with me. I keep forgetting that if you're taking your kids to the race, add 1/2 hour to the time to leave.

So, instead of heading out of here at 6:45, the wagon train didn't leave until almost 7:10. This Was Bad. Why? Well, Carthage is about oh, 30+ miles from the house, and the race started @ 8:00 am. Fortunately, there's little traffic heading NE on MS 25 at that hour of the morning on a Saturday, and Carthage is pretty small, so I kicked the truck into Worp and risked getting busted by a MSP on the way up, white knuckling and nervously glancing at the clock, speedometer (doing 80+ at some points, it was OK, its a four-lane road, right?) and nervously looking like a Fremen for Pig Sign (instead of Worm Sign, fortunately, the pigs were busy eating donuts and worried about international terrorists this morning).

In the meantime, Davis and Meredith are in the back, eating muffins, but still about half passed out from getting up so early (I don't think Meredith even looked awake until after the race). I'm smacking my lips, all thirsty because I'd shoved a PB without J sandwich in my gullet on my way out the door.

Got to the race location, bolted out of the car. Now, you'd think the packet pickup would be easy to find, but noooooooo... they had it stuck inside one of the Heritage Bank buildings, so I'm scrambling like an Area 51 pulse detonation plane squadron after a real UFO, looking at my watch, grabbing the packet, trying not to trip and fall on a decorative brick sidewalk. Fortunately, the children's mother had agreed to come along and was watching them, I think I'd have gone totally apeshit if I'd had to deal with sitter issues this morning. And since I'm about 98 percent of the way to totally apeshit to begin with, its not going to take much to push me into the 'animal friendly' zoocage with all the plants and rocks and fake waterfalls and fake plants and shit and stuff to make me think I'm still in my mountain gorilla habitat to push me into tossing my feces at the touristas...

Event warmup:

I gulped down two pitiful cups of WARM (WTF was it warm... we do have ice, running water, electricity and toilets down here) orange gatorade, and jogged lightly around the starting area. Jogged around what there is of downtown Carthage (its actually quite nice for your basic Mississippi Dirt City downtown). OK, the field was small today (I'm guessing < 100, but the official time report isn't up yet) but I recognized some of the Usual Local Running Studs (as this is my 6th race this year and all the dudes were there, as well as dudettes) and Studettes kicking around, shaking hands and bullshitting each other to have a great race when they secretly wish that their flipping hearts would just SEIZE UP and they'll die right there, heels kicking the asphalt in a 7/8 castanet tempo...

Once again, my stupidity - er, lack of good judgement kicked in when I decided to figure out where to stand to start. Decided again that RIGHT UP FRONT would be the best place (look at my BT blog, I put up pictures from the day there, I'm too lazy to do it again here - at least right now, I've been trying to find time all day to write this report for you, my loyal empire of sportsfans minions, so, the kids are fed, the pony is fed, the dogs aren't barking and here I am, still stinky from the Trace Ride I just got back from) to start.

Well, I'm ready for my 100 yards of glory and I'm all warmed up perfect, just ready to cross the line of scrimmage when the Gun Goes Off like a NFL wide receiver on at least four or five highly illegal performance enhancing substances, when they decide to have a prayer. OK, this is the first race they've done this at, but it is small town Mississippi, so I jog in place and get all hyped up right at "Amen" to light the candle and then somebody starts SINGING the NATIONAL ANTHEM.

Again, nothing wrong with that, but its not getting any cooler as the sun begins to tickle our noses like a heated up cat o' nine tails and I've got my eyes closed, I'm focusing, right, and they've got this al capella (sp?) singer and I'm thinking I'd really rather hear Joe Satriani playing the National Anthem so I open my eyes thinking the singer might morph into Joe (or, if I'd just chewed a mescaline blotter, perhaps it would at least SOUND like Joe) and its some prepubescent kid who sounds like a chick singing. Really. He did a pretty good job, and then The Guy That Has The Gun for the MS Track Club (and about a thousand band-aids on both arms, I'm kind of worried about him, he does NOT look well) bangs the trigger and your boy oneword tears off like a pack of wild dobermans is in hot pursuit and I lead 'em for about 100 yards again before my legs start telling my brain "Dude, No F'ing Way, you're going to SEIZE UP and end up dead on the pavement, trust me" so I slow down and the usual gaggle of everybody, young old thin fat in shape out of shape male female not quite sure passes me until the scrum stretches out after the first mile.

Oh, that's more than the Event Warmup, but hell, I blow my wad in the first 100 yards of these things so it might as well be the warmup, OK? :)

Run
  • 26m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Like I said, I took off like a missile and actually stayed up with the Blond Guy with the Ponytail - at least within striking distance - for about the first quarter mile. I'm getting stronger. Then it was downhill from there. Got passed around more often than the beer bong at a frat party. Settled in playing tag with some woman wearing a Lulu's bar something or other t-shirt.

About halfway through the first mile, about the time most people who are doing these things for the First Time (or maybe the 6th time this year) start to question their sanity, a young man that I guess was around 12-13 that had passed me was walking. Ok, I'm wheezing like a '95 Volvo with a leaky turbo hose, but I made a point to come up to the kid, slow down, squeeze his left shoulder with my right hand and say "Come ON dude. You don't want to get beat by this old man. You can DO it!" then I smiled. He ran/walked the rest of the way but he did finish ahead of me and I wasn't the only older runner that kept encouraging him to keep going.

Fortunately, the hills in the last half were shady, for the most part. The Carthage FD had the pumper truck out and the spray felt great, I made a point to thank the guys for being out there. After powering up one hill, I thought it was ironic that we were passing by a mostly empty but well-manicured cemetery. Just dig a hole, drop me in baby...

Finally got to the finish... 2nd best time this year, no where near my PR/PB of 26:09 but damn it was hot. The funny thing is, during the run I kept thinking "the tri is actually going to be easier, in some aspects, that doing these damned 5K mad dashes to hell and back..."
What would you do differently?:

Lose another 10 pounds instantly. That would have given a minute off of my time without having to do anything, which means I would've gotten the PR/PB no sweat, right?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Looked for the children, found 'em, hung out with 'em, drank water, dumped a huge bottle of water I'd brought with me on myself to wash off the salt, changed into dry clothes right there on the square, using the car and the kids holding towels to shield my totally non-stud like body from the public eye.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um, I really need some speed work on a track. I'm stuck at this 26:00 for a 5K, but I also think I'm better suited for running longer distances... I can run a 10:00 mile all day...

Event comments:

The race tshirt absofluckinglutely rocks. Its the best one I've gotten so far this year. The pic is in today's blog, but I'll add some pics to this report later. Ciao, I love you all. :)

Last updated: 2006-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:48 | 03.11 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Good
If someone will take pity on me and send me a new Garmin, HR/monitor, iPOD I'll put all sorts of good stuff here.
Course: A frickin' simple rectangle - run like hell out of downtown, make a right, run a short distance, run like hell up MS 16, flat and totally exposed to a Sun that's already cruel and its not even 9 am, take another right... and then HILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS up and down until you see the finish line just over the crest of the final hill and wish it wasn't so damn humid and that you were a Running Stud instead of some middle aged recreational athlete. :)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-20 6:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-05-20 7:17 PM
in reply to: #429075

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Heart of Mississippi 5K Run/Walk

This is the best RR you've put up to date. 

You are fast, ummm the heat index on your weater has been "HOT."  You are a sefl described 'non-runner' but your time is awesome.  Good for you for pulling along the younger runner.  Lighten up on you ... you're the trifecta!

2006-05-20 8:10 PM

race report of the year.  hilarious!

2006-05-20 8:49 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Great job!
2006-05-20 9:04 PM
in reply to: #429101

2006-05-20 9:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
A Classic!!!!!!!!                        

2006-05-20 9:11 PM

2006-05-20 9:17 PM

2006-05-21 12:41 AM
in reply to: #429132

(DSC02555.jpg)

(DSC02516.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC02555.jpg (31KB - 40 downloads)
DSC02516.jpg (23KB - 38 downloads)
2006-05-21 8:16 AM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

nothin' like a funny RR to start the day... especialy when someone steals my Sunday paper.....

you're still faster than me. 

2006-05-22 11:01 AM
in reply to: #429127

Pro
Orange Park Florida
oneword - 2006-05-20 10:04 PM... and I forgot to mention the part where, about halfway to Carthage, time running out to make the record in Montreaux, that Davis and Meredith announced, at the same "I Have To Pee."

But I figured that was TMI.  

It is never too much info to include bodily functions.  We are all about "nature" breaks on BT. 

Good Job on the run!

2006-05-22 11:09 AM

Expert
New Orleans

Nice job Scott. Sounds like a good "warmup" for Heatwave! See you there, and congrats!

Jeremy

2006-05-22 11:28 AM

Queen BTich
Very entertaining RR. I'm glad you made it to the race; those MSP people can be a b*tch.
2006-05-22 11:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
great job and great rr
2006-05-22 1:49 PM

2006-05-22 2:01 PM
in reply to: #430529

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Awesome race report, and reagrdless of what you think, still a good race time!

A couple of more races like that and you will get in all the speedwork you need to get faster!

2006-05-22 3:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Now THAT's an entertaining Race Report.  Wanna go rewrite mine? 

Well done juggling children, racing, and reporting back!  Your time was none too shabby.  I look forward to reading more.

2006-05-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: #430548

2006-05-22 4:02 PM
in reply to: #430676

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of Mississippi 5K Run/Walk Rss Feed