Charlottesville Ten Miler
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 12s
Overall Rank = 609/2239
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did less tapering than in the past for this race. Ran some on M-R... short distances.

Got up at 5am. 2 cups coffee and yogurt. Some idiot called at 2:30am, which totally threw me off, but did manage to get back to sleep. But I woke up a little more tired than usual, thus the 2nd cup of coffee. Got off at 6am arrived at JPJ at 6:30 in plenty of time to get race packet. Definitely the way to do it.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching and a light jog around the parking lot. Lined up early so I could be nearer the front than years past. Oddly didn't see anyone I knew prior to the race, but caught up with everyone after.

Pre-race goal. Can't say I went into this one feeling confident. I've been fighting allergies / cold for a couple of weeks and just haven't felt strong overall. Back has been good though and the 1/2 marathon 3 weeks ago went well other than the last couple of miles. But the course is back to normal, meaning the last mile won't be as fast. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get a PB on this, but I think unlikely. Would be disappointed with anything over 85 min. Strategy is to give myself a shot at PB by going out at a slightly faster pace than last year and then see what happens.
Run
  • 1h 23m 12s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Better starting position helped with the first mile which came in at 8:10. That gave me 30 seconds on last year. Was under 8 min / mile pace through 6 miles, but was laboring to do so. Never felt smooth out there today. Back started to seize up a bit after mile 3 or so - stupid, I forgot to take ibuprofen before the race. Anyway, was about a minute ahead of last year's pace through mile 6, but then I just couldn't keep the pace. Stayed under 9min/miles, but really slowed on the hills (need to do more stairmaster, perhaps?). Was painful to watch the PB slip away and tough to focus my mind on staying positive as it was happening. Lost about 2 1/2 minutes over the last 4 miles - probably a minute was due to the course change and the other 90 seconds was just due to performance.
What would you do differently?:

Philosophically, I knew I was taking a bit of a chance going out as I did, but I felt it was the only way I'd have a shot at a PB. Probably would have done slightly better overall if I had gone out a little easier, but not sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw a bunch of folks, ate a cookie and bagel. Drank some water and Gaterade. Was a bit buzzy about 5 minutes after I finished. Maybe low on hydration?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe age is catching up with me! Needed a few more long training runs this winter. Might have tapered a bit more. Was a bit humid, I thought. Really need to race at under 190. Without that, it will be hard for me to improve times as I age.

Event comments:

C'ville 10 miler is the signature race of our community. Always fun and a really good challenge.

Last updated: 2012-03-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:12 | 10 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 609/2239
Performance: Average
Course: Back to the Alderman road finish. The 10 miler is a challenging course. Lots of up and down through 6 miles and then miles 7-9 are a long slow uphill down main street and up the corner to Clark Hall. Last mile+ isn't too bad.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-31 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Charlottesville Ten Miler

2012-04-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4122240

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Charlottesville Ten Miler

Nice race Stu-always good to push it and see how your body reacts.  Sounds like you had a good strategy for the PR.  Sometimes it just doesn't work out.  Still a great time.  Time to get ready for that first tri of 2012!

Randy 

2012-04-02 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Nice race, Stu.  You went for it.  I like to see that.  Sometimes we go for it and blow up.  A little more preparation and going out every so slightly more conservativey and I could easily see you beating your PB on this race next year!
2012-04-02 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Great race Stu! Congrats on an excellent finishing time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville Ten Miler Rss Feed