Overall Rank = 189/278
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/15
Swim
  • 06m 17s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went as well as expected. 300m is a long way when you havent practiced much during the offseason. Yes I know I am naughty. I submitted a slower time than last year and felt much more comfortable with my placement compared to those around me. I tried to pace myself well so I didn't run of of gas 100m from the end and I was successful in doing so. I had one person pass me but I believe they should have been seeded higher. Overall the swim went pretty well and have no complaints.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time in the pool to practice. I did not spend much time swimming in the off season.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

The transition area was in a different area this year due to some construction work in the area where it was last year. The run into transition was longer as you had to loop around. I took it fairly easy on the run in as it gave me a chance to cool down and prepare myself for the next leg. Everything went pretty smoothly and soon enough i was running to the mount line for the bike. I was able to jump on the bike and pedal off. Very impressed with that effort.

Get a tri top that I can wear in the water as well so it would save some time putting on a shirt in T1.
Bike
  • 33m 56s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride went pretty well. The wind that haunted us last year was missing thankfully but the course was pretty wet from the rain before the race. I thought it was best to take the turns a little slower just to be safe. The first few miles I went at a comfortable pace to reduce heart rate and so I had enough left to finish the race. At the half way mark I felt a lot stronger and able to kick up the pace. Eased up a bit on the last 1/2 mile so my legs were ready for the run. I ended up coming into T2 about a minute quicker than last year so I was happy with the performance.

Spend more time riding at race pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Felt like this was weaker than T1. Feet were still wet (probably from the spray from the road) so putting on the socks took a bit longer than expected. However I have had worse T2 experiences so it will get better.

Practice the Bike-Run Transition some more. Wasn't horrible but room for improvement.
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went pretty well. I was able to make it about 2/3rds of a mile before walking which is much better than previous races. I did have to walk a few times on the first half of the run but on the way back I was able to run the whole way except for about 25 yards. My run time decreased by about 5 minutes so I was super excited.

Try and get some more brick workouts in. I have established a good run pace and just need to condition myself to be able to get into the run after a hard bike ride.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of time in the pool impacted the swim time. Not enough brick workouts may have impacted the run time as well.

Event comments:

The event was well run as usual by Setup. Everything was clearly marked, volunteers were helpful and had no complaints. Knocking off several minutes off last year's time make the race even sweeter.

Last updated: 2012-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:17 | 328 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 104/278
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snake up and back down 6 lanes of a 25m pool for a total distance of 300m.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:56 | 10 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 183/278
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back lollipop course. First part is fairly flat, then after the first turn it had some rollers. After the next turn (which is somewhat sharp) you are presented with a hill with little run up speed. After that there were a few small rises and falls but mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:37 | 03.11 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 193/278
Course: Out and back course. First part is a slight downhill through town, then a small rise into the rural area where it stays fairly flat. On the way back it is flat then a slight incline for the last 1/2 mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes