General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Fuel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-31 7:09 PM

User image

New user
Ilinois
Subject: Race Fuel
When I race or train, no matter the distance or discipline, if I take in Gels as part of my nutrition,I get a nasty stomach ache usually during the workout or sometimes just later that day. Is there a good alternative to use during the 70.3 distance? thanks!

2012-04-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4122591

User image

Veteran
Columbus
Subject: RE: Race Fuel
Are you taking them with fluids?  Some people seem to forget to take in liquids when taking in a gel.  As for nutrition during a 70.3 you can probably get away with just some form of liquid nutrition in your bottles.  There are a ton out there and some have caffine if that is the reason for ingesting gels.  Nutrition is pretty much personal preference so try a  variety and see what works best for you. 
2012-04-03 3:40 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
For the second HIM in a row I used homemade cookies and Heed (and water) on the bike and that suits me perfectly.  Think of my cookies as someone else cliff bar or something, except tasty.  I use one gel on the run.
2012-04-03 3:53 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

There's lots of different options - you'll just have to experiment to find what works for YOU.

Even within the gel spectrum, brands can vary vastly in terms of what each person's body can handle. Try different kinds of gels to see if one works better than another.

There are all kinds of products from chews/gummies to sports beans to all-liquid replacements, in addition to "real" food like Powerbars or Clif bars or what not. I'd be surprised if NOTHING works for you - just have to give them a try and see what you and your body like. Everyone is different.

2012-04-12 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
I have tried some different gels... didn't like Powerbar gels at all, but LOVE GU gels.  Not a big fan of cliff bars on the bike, since I find them really dry, but usually have one pre-race.  Like others have said, it totally comes down to what works for you.  I haven't found my perfect race food yet, so I'll keep experimenting.  There's so much to choose from!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Fuel Rss Feed