United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 34s
Overall Rank = 8/1210
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/171
Pre-race routine:

1 PM start, so I slept in and didn't leave the house until around 10:45, for the hour drive to Cohasset to pick up my bib.
Event warmup:

2.57 mile warmup with about three minutes at race pace. Felt pretty good, and was glad it wasn't as windy for this race as it was for the last two years.
Run
  • 36m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

After my first taper week for Boston I honestly didn't know what to expect in this race. I had run an 18:19 5k three weeks ago during high mileage, which I know wasn't the best time I could lay down.

I was targeting a time around 37:30 in this race, and figured holding a 6:00-6:05ish pace would get me there. However, I felt good from the start and let quite a few overzealous fools sprint away from me. I settled into a good pace, feeling nice and loose for the first two miles.

The middle miles of this race are along the water, and in previous years this part as been miserable with 20+ mph headwinds. This year had light winds, and I was able to maintain my pace, pacing through the 5k mark right around 18:15. At this point I questioned whether I'd be able to hold my pace. I decided I wouldn't know unless I tried, so I dug in and started to reign in runners ahead of me.

In the last 2.5 or so miles I passed about 4-5 runners including a member of the Greater Boston Track Club in the last 100 yards, finishing with a kick I never knew I had. The last .27 came in at just over 5:00 pace. I grabbed my knees after finishing, shocked I was able to run a 10k at a faster pace than I had run a 5k in three weeks earlier.

I'm obviously quite pleased with the result, and may be reassessing my plan for the Boston Marathon, two weeks from tomorrow.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - it went very well.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a nice massage - first runner to do that, so no wait!

Walked around, waiting for my college friend Christina to finish up. I hadn't seen her in two years, and it was great to catch up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nada!

Event comments:

Good confidence booster heading into Boston. My goal for Boston is to break 3:00, and I'm feeling like that could happen. I'll go out conservatively, but if things are feeling good after Heart Break Hill, watch out!!

Last updated: 2012-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:34 | 06.21 miles | 05m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/171
Overall: 8/1210
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 180 Max HR: 188
Course: Looping course around Cohasset. Two miles along the water, and rolling hills throughout the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes