World Triathlon Corporation
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 53m 3s
Overall Rank = 983/2903
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 94/223
Pre-race routine:

2 years ago, I started getting into triathlons. I was a pudge overweight athletic jock who was competitive. I was just a finisher in these sprints. I started taking life a little more seriously and started losing a bit of weight. By the 2011 season, I had a podium finish at the Pasadena Tri and had improved my time by over 11 mins for the prior year. I have always been fascinated by the Ironman and 1/2 Ironman races. I wanted to do my first ever 1/2 Ironman 70.3

In 2011, my buddy Rob, my girlfriend Josie and I drove to Oceanside to watch the 2011 Ironman California 70.3. That day on, I said I wanted to do this 1/2 Ironman. I had to lose some more weight and really start preparing for this race. I began to seriously troll Beginner Triathlete boards. I ran into the race report for ChrisM. He was a fellow clyde (he was one!). He really inspired me. I read about his race and I felt I could at least finish the race.
I got a triathlon coach, Tawnee Prazak and she dialed me in and set me straight. I continued to lose weight. I lost a total of 50+ pounds and I was starting to podium in all the sprints I was doing as a clydesdale.

My first goals for this race were to finish. They changed as my body and fitness level changed. I felt I could do 6:30. I continued to lose weight and train efficently. I felt I could do between 6:10 and 6:20. Just before the race, my coach had my goal time between 5:59 (no way I could do this) and 6:15. I just wanted to go out and do my best.

Event warmup:

Woke at 4am. Got to T2 at 430 am and dropped off the run gear. Got to T1 and 445 am, and dropped the bike off. I was staying in condos near the Swim/T1. So i went back home and had breakfast. I had a bagel, banana, Muscle Milk, and some gatorade. Also, had a salt tab. Did nature's duty and headed to the swim.

About 15 mins before the start, I had a Gatorade Prime and a salt pill.
Swim
  • 46m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

First ever 1.2 mile swim in a race. I have had prior issues with hyperventilating. I got into the water and it was not really cold at all. I swam in colder water in Long Beach and this past December in Palm Springs. Had to swim about a 100 yards to the start. I was there with about 30 secs to spare before the horn went off.

Started the swim, no panic issues and got into a somewhat decent rythym. I felt I navigated well and avoided any real issues. I am not a fast swimmer so i stayed as much as I could to the right. I think I was swimming comfortably. Then the huge swells started happening at the opening of the harbor. I continued to prod along, not making these huge swells an issue.

I did the turn by home and was still being tossed by the swells until getting away enough from the mouth. I kept my rythym. About 250-300 yards from the finish, I got a cramp in my left calf. It took me 20 secs before I could start swimming again. I felt I finished strong.

I exited the ramp and was helped out by a volunteer who helped unzip my wetsuit. I was not tired or out of breath from the swim. I thought I did a good swim for my swim level. I found out my time was 46 mins. I was a little bummed but for I was hoping for a 40 min swim but was happy to finish and not at all tired. Even though I ll saw my swim was average, it was good for me!
What would you do differently?:

swim faster, be more efficient in the water.
Transition 1
  • 08m 27s
Comments:

I am not the fastest T1'er. Exiting the swim, there is a long run to the transition area. I felt a little wobbly on the run. I was saying to myself dont fall down in front of everybody.

I got to my bike, i was still wet. I tried put my arm warmers and socks on. It is not the easiest when you are wet. I put on my bike jersey and the necessities for the ride. FInally, put my shoes on.

Lastly, i took a GU, water, and a salt tab.

Ran out of T1 to get on my bike.

Be more quicker, probably towel off to help put on arm warmers and socks.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

My coach had me at about 3:05-3:17. I thought bike was one of my strengths but I went out with fellow tri club members and found out I wasnt as good as I thought. My goal was to be as close to 3:05.

My instructions for the 1st 20-25 miles was to hold off. 85 rpm cadence and a HR of 120-135. Yea right!!! I started the bike in the 150's and crept to 160's as some points. I never really got into the 120's. I hovered around 130's to 140's. But I was riding pretty quick. All was well.

I was taking salt tabs every 45 mins and 300 kcals per hour. My nutrition was infinit, GU (gels and chomps), stinger waffles, and water. I think this is why i raced well, because of my nutrition. I dont like eating or drinking alot but I forced myself to keep with the 300 + kcals per hour.

Made the turn inland, just kept hammering away. I trained pretty hard up La Tuna Canyon, 4 mile hill with some serious grade. I know there were 3 big climbs in this race. I kept waiting for them but never found them. I felt there was one serious hill but it wasnt that long at all. My training on my hills let me cruise on these hills.

I met up with my buddy at mile 35. We talked for a few and then I continued onward. At approx. mile 40, i was warned by a marshal about following too close. I felt i was the 7 meters from the person in front of me but I slowed and continued on.

I then put the afteburners on, even though there was a nice headwind. I hammered on the bike. I was passing a lot of people. I truly was surprised by my ride. I was really worried about the climbs that never came.

At mile 50, I looked at my watch and saw that I could break 3 hours for my ride. I was so happy. I easily rode into T2, under 3 hours. I shocked myself andd I felt good about my ride.

Nothing really, I know next time what to expect and I truly believe I could do a better bike time.
Transition 2
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

When I got to T2 at 430 am, I was thinking I ll just walk to my rack. My rack was at the far end of the transition area. I needed to conserve energy for the run. Fortunately, I felt great after an excellent bike ride. So I ran the entire way to my rack.

I got to the rack and quickly stripped off my shoes and bike jersey. I quickly put on my run shoes, slapped on some Scape lotion on my head, put on my visor, and had a salt pill and some water.

Ran out the chute...

Nothing really, do a quicker change
Run
  • 1h 56m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My coach estimated my time 1:59-2:10. I felt 1:59 was a huge stretch but thought I would be more towards 2:10.

My instructions was to take it easy the first 2 miles and then gradually try and increase my speed. I thought I started slowly, I was waiting for my first mile lap time on my Garmin but it never came. So I had no idea what my first mile was. It never worked for the rest of the run.

So I just raced with a good rythym. I felt pretty good. I was hammering the run. I never looked much at my watch during the race. I usually look only at my HR. At the first turn around (4 miles), I looked at my watch, I was at 4 hr 30 mins. WOW! I am 9 miles from the finish and I have a shot at breaking 6 hours.

I continued to run well, I finally walked on Wisconsin to Pacific. I did the 2nd turnaround and continued towards the finish. I took a few 20 sec walks but the last 1 1/2 miles, I cruised home to the finish line. The last mile was pretty easy.

Prior to the finish, i took off my garmin and put it in my back pocket. I didnt want my finish photo with the watch. So I stoped it a few seconds after the finish. I was shocked to find out I ran a 1 hr 56 min half marathon in a 70.3.

Nothing. I thought I ran a very good run
Post race
Warm down:

I was hurting a little in my legs. I had to walk around.

Nutrition- had a slice of pizza, 2 chocolate milks, some water, and a little cola.

The great race hid any pain that I had.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Becoming a better swimmer and maybe lose a few more LBS. I weighed in about 212 lbs for this race. 10-12 lbs could help a lot. But my fitness was good.

Event comments:

#1- I want to thank my beautiful girlfriend, Josie. She has been so supportive of my training and race goals. I even have her doing races. I am lucky to have her.
#2- thanks to my coach Tawnee Prazak for believing in me and being a great coach.
#3- thanks to ChrisM, one year ago he was a big inspiration for a dream come true. Thanks Chris and nice meeting you at the race.

I trained and worked hard for this race. I am the firm believer you can do whatever you want. I dreamed big and come through big. I am very happy and blessed. I just hope to continue this journey for years to come.

Next stop, WILDFLOWER in 5 weeks!!!!! (2 sprint races in between!!)

Last updated: 2012-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:31 | 2112 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 173/223
Overall: 1677/2903
Performance: Average
Wore my Garmin 310xt but no HR
Suit: 2XU Velocity V:1
Course: long retangular with buoys in the harbor, counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:58:26 | 56 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 108/223
Overall: 1136/2903
Performance: Good
Ave HR 145
Wind: Headwind
Course: Loop 56 mile ride
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:56:20 | 13.1 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 94/223
Overall: 983/2903
Performance: Good
Ave HR 159
Course: 2 loop course- pier area of Oceanside, Strand, and Pacific Avenue.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-01 7:37 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: Ironman 70.3 California

2012-04-01 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4123640

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California
GREAT job on your first 70.3. Solid bike and run, too. You have the stuff!
2012-04-02 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Awesome job!  Good luck at Wildflower!
2012-04-03 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Awesome job and great RR!  I think many of us psyched ourselves out about the hills - they really were not that bad at all.  Well done!
2012-04-03 10:21 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
What an amazing race. Fantastic job out there, good luck at Wildflower. 
2012-12-10 5:54 PM

User image

Sorry Brent, totally late reply, thought I had already done so,   Fantastic work, and much much better than my first (or second) crack ot O Side!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed