of 2

2012-04-03 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4127596

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Advice on getting my kid into MIT
McFuzz - 2012-04-03 1:22 PM

What does he want to do beyond going to MIT/Caltech?  MIT has a great reputation, particularly for graduate school.  Is he wanting to work right after his BS degree or continue on for a PhD? 

First step is to turn over responsibility to him (with some guidance).  He should ask his HS guidance counselor and then call MIT and talk to the admissions office himself.  Then he needs to figure out how to meet the criteria for himself (and it's fair for him to discuss this with you). 

Schools like MIT get hundreds of applications from students who have padded their resumes with lots of "stuff" with the goal of getting admitted without really thinking about what they are doing or why, and many of those students are disappointed when they're not accepted.  Whatever activities he choosed to pursue, he needs to pursue with dedication and passion beyond the admissions process.  Schools are looking for leadership and initiative and if there is no passion during the interview/visit...

I do need to sit him down and find out why he wants to go to MIT and what his goals are.  He's always had an "engineering" brain and loves robotics and things like that.  So several years ago he asked me what the best colleges were for robotics and engineering and I told him MIT and Cal Tech.  So, that's where it all got started.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to pin a 15 year old down to a career choice.  I think I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was that age.  :-)

2012-04-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4127618

User image

Buttercup

Tony, has your son gone to any of the tech summer camps?

My nephew is 14; he took a C++ programming class at tech camp last summer (UNC-CH); he learned that he doesn't want to be a coder/software engineer. He thinks he wants to be a hardware engineer/design computers; not sure if he means firmware or control systems but there is time to sort that out.

He wants to start a debate team at the middle school where he will volunteer/teach the kids the fundamentals. He really enjoys debate. He is doing this for his own sake, because he has a passion for it and not because someone told him it would look good on his application. (He's such a great kid!) Still, you can see how this would reflect positively on him.

He's in his sophomore year, gets all A's and tests in the very high percentiles. He took 3 AP classes this year. He says he only wants to take what he is interested in; he won't take an AP class just to get the AP points. If he doesn't get into MIT, he won't sweat it. Wherever he goes, he will get there on his own terms. For such a young one, he really knows his own mind though he isn't dead set on a tech career; he is considering law, too. When he was 10, after listening to an NPR news report about SCOTUS, he told me he might want to be a Supreme Court Justice some day - he wants to protect the citizens from Congress when they breach the Constitution. What a kid! (Sorry, I gush.)

Anyway, for now, he wants to go where he can really get his geek on with computers, learn the latest technology. His mom isn't crazy about him going to California; he skipped 2 grades and is younger than his classmates. He'll start college at age 16; she worries about the California hippies, crazies, and such. Wink  I suggested he could always do summer internships in Silicon Valley if he stays east for his undergrad, something she is comfortable with him doing.

Edited by Renee 2012-04-03 2:24 PM
2012-04-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4123760

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

My niece is a sophomore at Harvard and I will echo the suggestion to go visit the campus based on her experience.  She plays softball for them and loves the campus and the people.  Growing up, she always wanted to go to Stanford, but when it came down to a decision her visit to Stanford knocked them out of consideration.  She did not want as much focus on softball.  She realizes that softball is a finite period and her education is really more important (pre-med).

She had her choice of the Ivy League schools, Boston College and St John's.  My sister had to force her to go to the Harvard visit because she had already decided on Columbia, but once she went to Harvard she recognized the school and the softball program were a better fit for her.

She had a high GPA and SAT score, but she also focused on community involvement.  She volunteered during the summer coaching softball to inner city girls, joined the Key Club and donated time at the senior center along with other activities.  As Renee said earlier, it is nice to tie at least on of your activities to a passion and I would think it gives it a little more weight.

2012-04-03 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4127762

User image

Buttercup
Forgot to add: he's applying for the NC page program. He wants to see how they make the sausage. He's going to be so disillusioned at such a young age.
2012-04-03 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4127618

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
tuwood - 2012-04-03 1:29 PM
McFuzz - 2012-04-03 1:22 PM

What does he want to do beyond going to MIT/Caltech?  MIT has a great reputation, particularly for graduate school.  Is he wanting to work right after his BS degree or continue on for a PhD? 

First step is to turn over responsibility to him (with some guidance).  He should ask his HS guidance counselor and then call MIT and talk to the admissions office himself.  Then he needs to figure out how to meet the criteria for himself (and it's fair for him to discuss this with you). 

Schools like MIT get hundreds of applications from students who have padded their resumes with lots of "stuff" with the goal of getting admitted without really thinking about what they are doing or why, and many of those students are disappointed when they're not accepted.  Whatever activities he choosed to pursue, he needs to pursue with dedication and passion beyond the admissions process.  Schools are looking for leadership and initiative and if there is no passion during the interview/visit...

I do need to sit him down and find out why he wants to go to MIT and what his goals are.  He's always had an "engineering" brain and loves robotics and things like that.  So several years ago he asked me what the best colleges were for robotics and engineering and I told him MIT and Cal Tech.  So, that's where it all got started.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to pin a 15 year old down to a career choice.  I think I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was that age.  :-)

As long as HE knows why he wants to go and you're sure it'll be a good investment, it isn't necessarily your place to "know" as well. 

There are some pretty cool things happening in robotics even outside of places like MIT. 

2012-04-03 11:28 PM

Veteran
My younger son has a friend and an acquaintance that both applied to MIT.  His friend scored 2370 on the SAT, his family has been in America for 16 generations, and his parents are still happily married.  He has extracurricular activities up the ying yang, and a GPA of 4.6.  His acquaintance scored 1900 on the SAT, he is the first generation of his family born in America, he lives with his single mother, and maintained a GPA of 3.8.  His extracurricular activities are comparable.  Which kid got in?  The kid who scored 1900 on his SAT, etc. etc. etc.  You can draw your own conclusions.

2012-04-05 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
I do alumni interviews for Columbia; I am also an MIT graduate (Masters). Let him follow his interests and be a damn teenager. Admissions officers can smell passion. They can also smell burnout and . If he develops genuine interests and can communicate those, that counts a lot more than a junior resume. And he may even find out that a school that is not CalTech/MIT is tops in those specific interests.

Admissions are now so obscenely competitive that once students that are exceptional and those that cannot do the work are winnowed out, the class is "built" from those left over (aka the vast majority of applicants). It is somewhat random in the end, but, again, GENUINE interests tend to matter.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice on getting my kid into MIT Rss Feed  

of 2