World Triathlon Corporation
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 38m 44s
Overall Rank = 1578/2903
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 251/302
Pre-race routine:

Dropped off my run stuff at T2 the day before. Got to T1 early enough on race morning, and had a pretty orderly set up. Cut it a little close at the end, and had to slice through the guys lined up in front of me to make it to the start in the 3rd wave, but worked out fine.
Event warmup:

No warm up to speak of. Parked by T2, and most everyone had to bike with their stuff over to the harbor at T1. Beside that, nada. The way the harbor is set up, you can't get in the water beforehand, so you have that grand total of 3 minutes between being called into the water and the gun sounding to get used to the bracingly cold water.
Swim
  • 46m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

A terrible swim, really. But, with my new record of 3 training swims, total, in advance of a HIM, I'll take it. Felt okay, if not at all fast, the whole way. Never really was taxed or in serious discomfort. Legs were cramped for much of the way back, with was an annoyance, but really, in context, it was just fine.
What would you do differently?:

Actually train for the swim. I feel like I keep saying this. But, again, leaving free time on the course.
Transition 1
  • 06m 36s
Comments:

Just fine. Nothing fancy, but I've got it down these days, even if I take my time.

A lot of stuff if I was in better shape and worried about the extra minute or two.
Bike
  • 3h 19m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I freaked my shit out about this. Something about not knowing what I would be getting into. The elevation charts got to me a bit, and since my training was very light on hills and strength, I was concerned I'd be one of those guys walking I'd heard about. My bike isn't geared at all for hills either. In the end, though, I did pretty darn good considering my modest conditioning. I did a good job of pacing the early 29 flat miles, and had enough to handle the hills fine, if not quickly. My pace was rather pathetic, but plan-wise I was as smart as I could have been.

Just more hill training specifically, and bike training generally, in advance. Next time, knowing the course better, I'll probably be more aggressive throughout.
Transition 2
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

Same as T1.
Run
  • 2h 21m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My best run yet in a HIM by about 9 minutes. Mostly actually jogged this one. That was a focus in training, and my pacing on the bike made it possible. Around mile 6 or so, I was actually thinking I'd do another 10 minutes better before the wheels fell off the wagon around mile 10. After that, did some jog/walking, but was at least not a total embarrassment.

Not a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

Found the kids, heard about my naughty 2 year old chucking my iPad into the crowd (yes, destroying it), and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training about 1/3 as much as I should. Pretty obvious.

Event comments:

Fantastic race. Great course, interesting and beautiful. Do this one.

Last updated: 2011-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:02 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 249/302
Overall: 1646/2903
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra
Course: An out and back starting/finishing at the boat launch ramp. Pretty tame in the harbor, but some decent sized rollers as we got out towards the turn.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:19:13 | 56 miles | 16.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 251/302
Overall: 1537/2903
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly a loop through Camp Pendleton. Really pretty nice inland California terrain with some coastal parts up front. I spent a lot of time worried about the "3 big hills". Since you can't preview the course, my imagination got away from me a bit. They weren't anything to sneeze at, but relatively short slogs. Some wind on the back side, but a nice ride.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:21:37 | 13.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 251/302
Overall: 1578/2903
Course: A two loop, somewhat zany, course along the shore. Confusing zig-zaggy thing going from street to strand to street, up ramps, and down. In the end, a mostly flat, run, though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-01 9:27 PM

San Diego, CA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 California

2012-04-01 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4123801

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California
I know about those miles after the mile 10 mark! Great job.
2012-04-03 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Nice RR and congrats on the finish!  The swim wave chute does not give much opportunity to squeeze through if you are running late - good to see you made it in the water on time!
2012-04-03 10:27 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Good effort out there. Way to manage the course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed