BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2012-04-02 7:43 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED

NAME: kenj/ Ken Johnson 

STORY: I am 47 years old and live in upstate NY in the Finger Lakes region, near Rochester.  In early 2006 I decided I had enough of being overweight.  At the time I weighed about 285 at 5 feet 8 inches tall so I was in rough shape.  I played mens league hockey once a week and was struggling to keep up with guys that when I was younger and in better shape I had no problem staying with.  So I decided to do something about the weight and started Nutri-system.  Part of the program included 30 minutes of working out per day.  Did not matter if it was walking, weights, or whatever got me moving.  For the most part I walked on the treadmill.  By early spring I had lost about 50 pounds so when I was able to move outside I started running some.  By the end of the summer I was down almost 90 pounds, but was struggling with achilles issues running every day so I picked up a bike and started riding some.  Found BT and connected with some local members and started doing some 5ks and thought about tris.  The wildcard was the swim, but I joined the local masters group with the encouragement of Dexter and I learned to swim, sort of. 

I did my first tri in June of 2007, another in July and decided watching IMLP that year on the net to sign up for 2008.  Probably not the recommended way of getting to that distance, but I downloaded a plan from BT and finished with a respectable time.  Since then I have done several halfs, many more sprints and oly's and another Ironman in 2010. 

Currently the weight drops during the season and I let it creep up a little during the winter but I am safely past the 5 year mark and happy with the way I am maintaining my health and weight.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to Connie, who is not only a great wife, but my biggest cheerleader!  She never questions any of the crazy ideas I come up with and is always there to support me!  I also have two adult children.

CURRENT TRAINING: Probably my trademark in training is my consistancy.  I dont miss many workouts.  I am also fairly technical in my training and like to analyze the numbers.  I train with a power meter on the bike and like to train by pace for the run.  I am also very familiar with training with heart rate.  My focus this off season is the bike and specifically swimming.  I have been taking lessons and attending clinics to improve the swim.   Running volume is down some dealing with an IT band issue.

I do like the gadgets too, so if someone has a question on a training tool, odds are I have tried it or know someone who has.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I focused more on sprints, with the only exception being Musselman half iron distance.  It is a local race.  I was planning to run a marathon in October, but the IT band issues derailed that.

2012 RACES:  I am planning on 3 or 4 local sprints over the course of the summer, Musselman again in July and the "A" race will be Ironman Florida in November.  During the winter and early spring I will also do some road races from 5k up to a half marathon in April.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I will push to get to a lower race weight in 2012 than I have been in the past.  I think it will help with the bike and run and make my goals more attainable.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think I will be a good mentor as this will be my 4th group.  I enjoy working with both experienced triathletes looking to go to a longer distance, or just looking for a group to offer them support.  I also have enjoyed seeing new athletes set goals and put a plan together to accomplish their first triathlon, regardless of their experience.  From weight loss to racing, I have done a lot right and a some things wrong and I think that experience is something I can share with others trying to figure this out.  Additionally, I love triathlon and enjoy not only the training, but the positive support that most people in this sport offer each other.  These mentor groups are a great way to continue this support away from the race venues and especially in the off season! 

I also know that a few folks from my past groups will probably join in and since they could probably run their own group if they chose to, their experience helps lift the entire group and they are all good at sharing their experiences.  I look at the mentor as not necessarily being the person with all the answers, but being responsible for keeping people focused and moving towards their goals. 

Although I travel occasionally, I am usually pretty quick to respond to posts which I think helps keep the group focussed!

2012-04-02 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4124117

Rochester
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training OPEN
Ken I would love to join up. I also live by Rochester.
2012-04-02 11:31 AM

New user
Walterboro

I want back in.  Need to keep up with you on the way to IMFL.

2012-04-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4124527

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
peterflagg - 2012-04-02 11:35 AMKen I would love to join up. I also live by Rochester.
Good to have you with us! Especially being local! I have some folks from our last group joining us too, hopefully Kirk will as he is also local
2012-04-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4124683

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Wesley12 - 2012-04-02 12:31 PM

I want back in.  Need to keep up with you on the way to IMFL.

Absolutely! Going to be a fun journey! Could you guys post bios please!
2012-04-02 12:22 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I would like back in too. My race season hasn't even started yet, and I have some pretty lofty goals I'm going to need help with!

NAME: Meulen/Brian

STORY: I'm 37years old. I had an athletic background in HS/College. I played baseball, basketball and golf in HS and played golf in College. I weightlifted through College and ended up pretty bulky. That bulk turned to fluff pretty quick after that. I was basically your typical party animal kid through my twenties. I got married at 24 and continue to pack on lbs. till I was in my 30's. I ended up being north of 215 (I quit weighing after that in denial! ). At 6' 1" with a small frame I was pretty pudgy. It was about 4-5 years ago I finally said enough. I got back into the gym and started trying to lose weight. I then bought a hybrid bike to ride around the block because I was too heavy for my knees to run much. It was about 4 years ago I did my first indoor tri. I could barely swim across the pool! I met some poeple mountain biking after that and they sucked me into mtb racing for a year. The following year I came back to tri's and have been here ever since. My first outdoor (real tri) was Xterra Ft. Custer 3 years ago. I've done several since then, the biggest being Racine 70.3 last season. Through it all I now weigh 170lb and have been as low as 163 on race day!!

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to my AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL wife Anne Marie. She's in my cornor at every event and she even does some training and racing with me. Couldn't ask for anything more!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I cut down the number of races I did from the prior year and focussed on two races, the Illinois marathon and Racine 70.3. Both were firsts for me in these distances. The marathon went rather well for me, but Racine beat me up! I'll be looking for revenge on this race this year.

2012 RACES: So far I'm signed up for an early half marathon in May and Racine 70.3 in July. I'll be adding a couple Oly's and maybe an Xterra or two along the way for training. Work has gotten significantly more demanding for me lately so my dreams of training for an ironman are on the wayside.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm definitely one that struggles with weight. I just lost 10lbs to get back to 170. I'd like to be more close to 160 and possibly under this year. I've been using livestrong.com to log my food and excercise.

WHY I'M HERE: I've recently been hitting some walls in my training that I could use all the help and extra motivation to get over. I was in GoGoGo's group a couple years ago and he mentioned this group to me.

Edited by Meulen 2012-04-02 12:23 PM

2012-04-02 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR

Hi, I'd like to join your group, if you'll have me.  I'm entering into my third year of triathlons and looking for a little virtual support for going faster and longer.  I was in a beginner group two years ago and loved it...

Let me know, and I'll post my bio. 

Thanks, Nole

2012-04-02 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4124858

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Meulen - 2012-04-02 1:22 PMI would like back in too. My race season hasn't even started yet, and I have some pretty lofty goals I'm going to need help with! NAME: Meulen/Brian STORY: I'm 37years old. I had an athletic background in HS/College. I played baseball, basketball and golf in HS and played golf in College. I weightlifted through College and ended up pretty bulky. That bulk turned to fluff pretty quick after that. I was basically your typical party animal kid through my twenties. I got married at 24 and continue to pack on lbs. till I was in my 30's. I ended up being north of 215 (I quit weighing after that in denial! ). At 6' 1" with a small frame I was pretty pudgy. It was about 4-5 years ago I finally said enough. I got back into the gym and started trying to lose weight. I then bought a hybrid bike to ride around the block because I was too heavy for my knees to run much. It was about 4 years ago I did my first indoor tri. I could barely swim across the pool! I met some poeple mountain biking after that and they sucked me into mtb racing for a year. The following year I came back to tri's and have been here ever since. My first outdoor (real tri) was Xterra Ft. Custer 3 years ago. I've done several since then, the biggest being Racine 70.3 last season. Through it all I now weigh 170lb and have been as low as 163 on race day!! FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to my AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL wife Anne Marie. She's in my cornor at every event and she even does some training and racing with me. Couldn't ask for anything more! THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I cut down the number of races I did from the prior year and focussed on two races, the Illinois marathon and Racine 70.3. Both were firsts for me in these distances. The marathon went rather well for me, but Racine beat me up! I'll be looking for revenge on this race this year. 2012 RACES: So far I'm signed up for an early half marathon in May and Racine 70.3 in July. I'll be adding a couple Oly's and maybe an Xterra or two along the way for training. Work has gotten significantly more demanding for me lately so my dreams of training for an ironman are on the wayside. WEIGHTLOSS: I'm definitely one that struggles with weight. I just lost 10lbs to get back to 170. I'd like to be more close to 160 and possibly under this year. I've been using livestrong.com to log my food and excercise. IWHY I'M HERE: I've recently been hitting some walls in my training that I could use all the help and extra motivation to get over. I was in GoGoGo's group a couple years ago and he mentioned this group to me.
Absolutely in Brian! Welcome in for part two!
2012-04-02 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4124873

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
n.k - 2012-04-02 1:27 PM

Hi, I'd like to join your group, if you'll have me.  I'm entering into my third year of triathlons and looking for a little virtual support for going faster and longer.  I was in a beginner group two years ago and loved it...

Let me know, and I'll post my bio. 

Thanks, Nole

Welcome to the group Nole! Post a.bio when you can
2012-04-02 1:26 PM

User image

Regular

Ken, I would like to stay in. 

2012-04-02 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Mind if I join up for another go-round Ken?

2012-04-02 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Ken - I'm in for a 3rd round!

NAME: Robin

STORY:  After many years of thinking how much I want to train and complete a triathlon,  2 years ago I finally got up the courage and completed my first sprint tri in March 2010.  I was hooked after that and completed my first ever 5k and 2 additional sprint tris that same year. I come from a swimming background and swam in HS.  My husband bikes (road and mountain) so I have a lot of advice there.  Started running for really the first time ever consistently 2 years ago and finished my first ever HM in April of last year.   I have always been active and enjoy sports, but until I started training for tris I never had any real consistency in my workouts. 

FAMILY: I am 37 years old. married for 16 years with 2 kids, ages 6 & 8! Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and looking forward to training here this summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have been sidelined from running due to plantar fasciitis in my left foot since September.  Through PT and time it is slowly healing and am now running a few minutes a couple times of week. I am currently biking 4x a week and swimming 2-3x.

2011 races: I completed 2 sprint tris and my first ever Half marathon last sumer. Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and that pretty much ended my season as the move was rather complicated. 

2012 races: I am hoping to complete a few local sprints an oly and my first half ironman (thinking of Redman in September as it is close to family in Oklahoma).  Also my husband and I are going to team up and do a 140 mile relay from Kluane National Park in the Yukon to Hanes, AK in June. The tri's (especially the HIM) depend on my PF getting better - fingers crossed.

WEIGHT LOSS: The move to AK has been hard on my waistline!  I am up about 10 pounds from my race weight last May. I do very well during the week, however I seem to sabotage all the hard efforts on weekends. This is something I need to work on as I would love to get back down to where I was last May and maybe even lower!

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE?  I am a great chearleader for others and love to see everyone around me
realizing their potential - that is super motivating for me! I am still relatively new to the sport and can remember those firsts and can help others just starting out. Coming off an injury has also taught me a lot about patience and figuring out what my body is telling me.  I still have lots to learn and am super excited to continue the learning process.

I was a member of Ken's 2011 summer and winter groups and am really excited that he decided to continue on - yeah!  I look forward to meeting all the new folks!

2012-04-02 3:23 PM

I'm in the Buffalo area and will be racing my first race in June.  I'm at work, but I'll post my info when I get home.  Thanks!

-Erin

2012-04-02 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4125056

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
russrisher - 2012-04-02 2:26 PM

Ken, I would like to stay in. 

Good deal Russ, glad to have you back! Post a bio for those of us not in the group last time! Thanks!
2012-04-02 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4125208

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2012-04-02 3:19 PMMind if I join up for another go-round Ken?
Good to have you back Steve! How has your training been going? Give us an updated bio when you can!
2012-04-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4125342

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-04-02 3:55 PM

Ken - I'm in for a 3rd round!

NAME: Robin

STORY:  After many years of thinking how much I want to train and complete a triathlon,  2 years ago I finally got up the courage and completed my first sprint tri in March 2010.  I was hooked after that and completed my first ever 5k and 2 additional sprint tris that same year. I come from a swimming background and swam in HS.  My husband bikes (road and mountain) so I have a lot of advice there.  Started running for really the first time ever consistently 2 years ago and finished my first ever HM in April of last year.   I have always been active and enjoy sports, but until I started training for tris I never had any real consistency in my workouts. 

FAMILY: I am 37 years old. married for 16 years with 2 kids, ages 6 & 8! Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and looking forward to training here this summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have been sidelined from running due to plantar fasciitis in my left foot since September.  Through PT and time it is slowly healing and am now running a few minutes a couple times of week. I am currently biking 4x a week and swimming 2-3x.

2011 races: I completed 2 sprint tris and my first ever Half marathon last sumer. Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and that pretty much ended my season as the move was rather complicated. 

2012 races: I am hoping to complete a few local sprints an oly and my first half ironman (thinking of Redman in September as it is close to family in Oklahoma).  Also my husband and I are going to team up and do a 140 mile relay from Kluane National Park in the Yukon to Hanes, AK in June. The tri's (especially the HIM) depend on my PF getting better - fingers crossed.

WEIGHT LOSS: The move to AK has been hard on my waistline!  I am up about 10 pounds from my race weight last May. I do very well during the week, however I seem to sabotage all the hard efforts on weekends. This is something I need to work on as I would love to get back down to where I was last May and maybe even lower!

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE?  I am a great chearleader for others and love to see everyone around me
realizing their potential - that is super motivating for me! I am still relatively new to the sport and can remember those firsts and can help others just starting out. Coming off an injury has also taught me a lot about patience and figuring out what my body is telling me.  I still have lots to learn and am super excited to continue the learning process.

I was a member of Ken's 2011 summer and winter groups and am really excited that he decided to continue on - yeah!  I look forward to meeting all the new folks!

Glad to have you here with us again Robin! Thanks!

2012-04-02 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4125415

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
adkgeocacher - 2012-04-02 4:23 PM

I'm in the Buffalo area and will be racing my first race in June.  I'm at work, but I'll post my info when I get home.  Thanks!

-Erin

Good to have another local Erin! Looking forward to reading your bio!
2012-04-02 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR

NAME: n.k/Nole - Age: 29

STORY: I've been interested in sports since I was very young, but was never more than mildly good at them.  During high school I fell in love with music and devoted all my time listening to and creating music... therefore sports took a back seat.  I was a tad overweight growing up, but continued to get more over weight as I became a touring musician.  Being on the road making very little money meant fast food and no exercise!  Once I got married, I no longer wanted to tour and started my career as a teacher.  I live in Oregon (which has a thriving bike culture) and began bike commuting with a growing interest in wanting to get into some type of endurance sport.  Three years ago I set a goal of completing a local Olympic triathlon... and was hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married 6.5 years to my awesome wife Carrie.  She supports me and has even began the foray into endurance sports, though she's not as into it and crazy as I am.  She has completed a sprint duathlon and a half-marathon.  She's taking the plunge into triathlons with a sprint this August.  I have two young children... my son, Cash, is 3 and my daughter, Finley, is 20 months.  They are awesome kids, but very demanding and I am struggling to find balance. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Since getting started in triathlons, I have been fairly consistent in my training.  I promised my wife one day a week with no training.  I am almost always able to train 6 days a week, but I rarely get more than one session in during the day.  I do almost all my training in the early AM because of work and family.  I am not following a specific plan right now, but instead focusing on improving my biking and running by trying to get between 5 and 8 hours of training per week.  No swim sessions right now because I can save money by training outside or in my garage [no gym membership fees!] and I feel like I can get more time improvements by focusing on my (comparatively) weaker sports.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2011 was my second year of competing and I stepped up from Olympics to a half-iron and completed a full marathon. 

2012 RACES:  This year I am scaling back just a bit to support my wife entering the sport and to have a little more time with my family.  I am planning on only racing one Olympic, one half marathon, and a full, trail marathon. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  When I first started training, I was a very hefty 245 lbs.  During my first season, I got all the way down to 200 lbs with a strict diet (counted calories) and training.  Last season I got all the way down to 193 lbs during the height of my half-iron training (without even watching my diet!).  But, this winter I've put on a few more pounds than I intended to and have been hanging in the 205ish range.  My goal is to be all the way down to 185 lbs by my half marathon in July. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I think I will be a good mentee as I love discussing all things training and racing.  I am open to trying to new things and taking advice to improve.  I am also more than willing to share my experiences with others in hopes of helping them improve.  I love checking in on other people's logs to see how they are progressing and to gain inspiration to push myself further.  While I feel I have come a LONG way since my first season, I have a lot more to learn and have tons of room to go faster!  I am looking forward to being part of a virtual team to help me, and the team, improve. 

Edited by n.k 2012-04-02 4:43 PM
2012-04-02 8:09 PM

NAME: Erin H
STORY: I am 31 years old and I live in Buffalo.  I was athletic as a teenager, but lost sight of my fitness in my twenties.  Last fall I found some inspiration and randomly decided to start a C25K program.  I run slower than some people walk, but completing the C25K program triggered a number of changes.  I joined an ice hockey league and learned how to ice skate this winter, then through a seemingly random chain of events found myself on the internet registering for an Olympic triathlon in Lake George in September 2012.  After making that middle of the night decision, I decided I better start training.  I also signed up for the Quakerman sprint race on Father's Day in Orchard Park, NY.

FAMILY STATUS:My partner, Kim, couldn't be more supportive of my training goals.  I do not have children, which makes it easier for me to schedule my training.  

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am following a custom plan for the Sprint race in June.  I just increased to swimming 3 times per week.  I am was afraid of water when I started my training, but I have progressed from controlled drowning to a sloppy front crawl.  I start swimming lessons in 2 days, which will hopefully help me break my bad habits and help make me more comfortable in the water.

I'm currently riding a hybrid which I just took off the trainer and onto the road.  I think cycling is my strongest area, and definitely my favorite.  I will be purchasing a road bike, or possibly a triathlon bike, within the next two weeks so I can become a more efficient cyclist.

Running is ridiculously difficult for me.  I'm slow, and I injure myself easily.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My first race ever will be the Quakerman Sprint Triathlon in Orchard Park, NY on Father's Day.  Hopefully I will be able to do the Pant Pedal Paddle in Minerva NY in July, but there is no word yet on whether they are having another race this year.  Over Labor Day weekend I will be participating in the Lake George Olympic Triathlon. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  I am female, 5' 6" and started my training in January at 220 pounds.  I am currently 206 pounds, and anticipate that my weight will continue to creep down while I train.  Weight has always been a struggle for me, but is no longer something I focus on.  I focus on what I want to do and the process of preparing and training for my goals results in weight loss progress.  I like for it to be a side effect, or an added bonus. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am 188% dedicated to becoming a triathlete.  I love the variety of the training and I cannot wait to cross that finish line.  I'm not sure exactly what it is that I need to prove to myself, but there is some sort of fire burning.  It also doesn't hurt that I have an excuse to buy neat little gadgets and to design more spreadsheets to track my progress now.  In addition, I am flexible and not resistant to change.  I will try just about any training advice to keep me heading in the right direction.

2012-04-02 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran

Ken, do you have room for one more? I'd love to join if you do!

Yvonne

2012-04-02 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4125942

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Ybeal - 2012-04-02 9:14 PM

Ken, do you have room for one more? I'd love to join if you do!

Yvonne

Absolutely Yvonne!  Post a bio when you get a minute!

2012-04-02 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran

NAME:  Yvonne

STORY:   Turning 40, did my first tri this past oct, sprint rambling rose and I'm hooked. Did a half marathon w team in training in 2006, so much fun. But got injured training for the next two events, first stress fracture in rgt tibia, then later one in left foot, then eventually one in right foot. So thought maybe tri would be better.  Just got a new road bike, first ever, clip less pedals and all, still figuring out how to use it! I've already done two sprints this year and looking forward to doing some more.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, 8 & 9 yo girls, both have done one tri and they are currently on a Youth Triathlon Team training for an event in May.  My dh is also on board to tri a sprint this fall! Working really hard to get the whole family on a healthier path with running and triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Pretty consistent since January, slacked a little the last week or two because I felt like I needed a break, but pretty active overall, weights and cardio at the gym, running ( couch to 5k to slowly work up tp distance),  swimming and biking.

2011 RACES:  Rambling rose sprint tri oct 2011 - my first one!

2012 RACES:   Azalea Sprint Tri (done!),Shamrock 8K (done!), Girls Run the World Sprint (done!), First in Flight 5K April 21, Warrior dash in may, ramblin rose may, Tower of Terror 10 Miler Disney in Sept., Ramblin Rose in oct. -  really want to do a longer distance in October, maybe white lake international but not sure if that's too ambitious?!?

WEIGHTLOSS:   Have lost 35 lbs in the last 14 months, another 25 to go. Working in some P90X starting this month too to jump start some more weight loss.

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    I love BT! Totally addicted! I'm reading all the posts, everything, and spending way too much time on this site lol.  I find it really helpful to stay motivated by reading about everyone's journey and all the diverse backgrounds.  I don't know many people locally so I use you all as virtual training buddies

Excited to get to know everyone!

Yvonne

2012-04-02 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
I'd like to join in. I can post a bio in the AM if you there is room.
2012-04-03 2:26 AM
in reply to: #4125415

Rochester

adkgeocacher - 2012-04-02 4:23 PM

-Erin

Erin, I am originally from Buffalo, living in Rochester now. Travel back to Blo for family and of course good pizza and wings.

2012-04-03 3:27 AM

Rochester

Ok I have some time for my bio now... Sit back, relax and get ready to fall aspleep.

Story: So, I am a 42 yo male, divorced, living with my SO, Maureen this woman is a saint, my son Drew. In October I was weighing in at 304 lbs. I finally went for a check up at my dr's who sent me for lab work, come to find out I was diagnosed with Diabetes Milletus Type 2 and hypothyroidism. So I started taking pills for both. My fasting BG was 280's with a A1C level of 9.3. With hard work I have gotten my fasting BG down to 90 and a A1C level of 5.3. It is awesome to get there. Of course after looking at my diet and doing some research I read a book called WHEAT BELLY and have followed it pretty closely. That is what has helped me get my levels down. Of course in the process I have lost 74 lbs currently. Been plauteauing lately though. It is because of my diet lately, just need to refocus again. 

I had started to run shortly after I was diagnosed and in december I started having some pain in my right ankle. I just figured it was from running or something like that. Well, one day the pain became so bad that I actually came to the hospital I work at. My ankle was tapped and they thought I had a septic joint, so off to surgery for a washout. All the tests came back negative for infections with this, of course AFTER my surgery, so more tests were done. It came back that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am currently using methotrexate for treatment and feel wonderful. Will there be a day that I cannot run? Maybe, but until then it is my choice to be active and I will not give up that right easily.

Family status: Divorced father of 3 kids, Kaety 22, Drew 19 and Olivia 14.  I also have wonderful twin grandson Jayson and Steven almost 3 by Kaety, who is also pregnant with a girl right now. Kaety lives w/ her BF, Drew with me and Olivia wit my ex-wife. Been divorced for 6 years and it is still tough to adjust not having my little girl with me. I crave my time for her and always count down to our next time together. My grandson are the cutest in the world, obviously. I have a wonderful SO, Maureen who loves them like her own and is also supportive of my endeavors.

Current training...Well I definetly train at least 4 days a week, need to really do my 6. I am doing well with the biking (at the gym), running ( I am doing a c25k, however this weekend I ran and only walked for about 2 minutes total out of 30 min), my swim, well, I don't drown. It sucks to swim and not do well at it. Just bought a book on total immersion and will be looking into it.

Last year races: I only ran to the food line, I think I beat most people but it wasn't officailly timed.

2012 Races: Well just did my Spring Forward race here in rochester. I am teamed up with my GF to compete as a team for the Flower City Duathlon. She is doing the running 5kx2 and I am doing the 20 mile bike ride. I also am doing a 40 mile bike ride for the Tour DeCure in June. Just signed up for a nurses run and also the corporate challenge in May, both 5K. After these I am not sure.

Goals: Well, here it is. I want to keep practicing and do some sprint tri's middle to end of summer, along with some half marathons. Next year I want to do olympic tri's and some marathons. 2 years, HIM. 3 years IM. I am my hardest critic about my performance. If I would rate it in a smell, it would be fish left outside on a hot day and well for a couple of days with a skunk dead on top of it. OK maybe not that bad but I am hard on myself. Hope you like the visual!

What I offer. Well, I will be one of your best cheerleader. I do draw the line at wearing a skirt and jumping up and down for you. For the locals, well if I have off I will be more than happy to come cheer you on at your races. So want to volunteer for the HIM Syracuse. Figure I can learn some stuff there.

Peter

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 78