General Discussion Race Reports! » Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
United States
Alpha Delta Pi
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 47s
Overall Rank = 81/355
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a peanut butter and Nutella waffle, a little coffee and was off to MTSU. Get to the event in plenty of time, meet with a few of my Tri Group and rack my bike (rack anywhere you want), put my gear down and went and checked in. Mingled a little more then decided to lay my transition down. Bike shoes, running shoes, goggles, watch... Everything ready. Put my race belt and number on my aero bars, ok now lets put the helmet on.... helmet... helmet... OMG - it's a home. Run to Kim and she does a land speed record to go get it and still she gets back right at 8:00 and I hustle into the complex where the swim had already began. I was 155 and still had plenty of time to get ready for the swim. Rookie mistake.
Event warmup:

Ran a few pickups while Kim went to get my stupid helmet.
Swim
  • 06m 11s
  • 328 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Uneventful as from other pool swims. I jumped up early with some of my Tri group friends and probably got in the pool around slot 115. Swam on their feet, and no one was behind me. I swam pretty comfortable and never panicked or felt bad. 6:11 was right at my practice times for the past week so was please as can expect with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I'm getting to be a better swimmer but have a lot to learn and practice. Swim place was
#174 out of 355 - so so
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

About 100 yard run to T1. Had a little time fumbling getting the shoes on, but got shades and helmet and race belt on fine.

Probably only thing that would have sped this up would be sprinting full speed out of the pool.
Bike
  • 29m 50s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Wanted to push to see what I could do. I'm still using a road bike and just put the aero bars on last few weeks. Stayed in aero most of the time. I pushed hard and felt good, for the little bit of riding I've actually done outdoors this year. Only was passed by 2 TRI bikes, and passed around 25-30 on various bikes.

Sensor was not working so I was going on feel alone, little disappointed.

I'm fine with this effort so early in the year. I know I will get stronger on the bike with more miles. The aerobars do help....

Take the bike for a quick spin to make sure everything is lined up, I also noticed my brake pad was rubbing a little when walking the bike out to the car.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Good transition, was good or better than some of the leaders.

Not too much, was good for today.
Run
  • 22m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Something is amiss with my running. I know I have not practiced many bricks, but I am not this slow. My legs were mud and my breathing was very labored off the bike and was horrible. I would NOT make my legs go faster, and it was frustrating. Kellie passed me and offered encouragement and I wanted to keep pace with her but could not. I should KILL her on the run, I'm way faster than she is (she is one of my training partners). BUT.. she is a veteran at triathlons and very good at this sport, I need to get better at running off the bike.

Get a TRI bike and do more bricks. I do believe the TRI bikes offer a big advantage on the course and off the run. It is what it is, until I can afford one next year, so I will build that big engine this year with my road bike and be ready to crush it next year with the TRI bike. Get ready...
Post race
Warm down:

Found Kim, Carly and Cody at the finish. Was so glad they were there. Met some of my Tri group and mingled a little before we needed to leave to get to baseball.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run off the bike. A TRI bike, and swimming. REALLY, sounds like EVERYTHING needs some work.

Event comments:

Pretty good snfu at one intersection. Both lanes were blocked with traffic and only a small narrow strip to the right, near drainage grates to navigate through. Slowed it all down though here. Also, came to one intersection with no directions, so I followed the group, and luckily went the right way.

Last updated: 2011-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:11 | 328 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 174/355
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 12 indoor laps of a 25 yard pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:50 | 10 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Overall: 78/355
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat around campus.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:34 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 111/355
Performance: Below average
Course: This was short of 3 miles, closer to 2.9.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-02 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
Subject: Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge

2012-04-02 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4124419

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge
Great race, I wish I could get close to 1 hr for a sprint, 1:15 is my best so far I think.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge Rss Feed