Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Have you ever gotten a penalty?
OptionResults
Yes21 Votes - [25.3%]
No62 Votes - [74.7%]

2012-04-02 10:49 AM

Expert
Subject: Have you ever gotten a penalty?

On the Galveston 70.3 course yesterday I got a penalty for drafting.  It was the first penalty I have ever gotten and I was really upset about it.  

I started in the very last swim wave so had a very crowded and slow bike course to ride by.  I was passed by two people during the 56 and one passed me and then slowed down right in front of me.  I sat behind for about 10 seconds telling him to complete his pass, then shouted "on your left" and tried to pass back.  He then mashed his pedals and I dropped back again because I didn't want to get in a contest with this one guy over passing.  Came out of his draft zone, then just passed because he started lollygagging in front of me again.  After I passed, and was in front, an official on a motorcycle signaled me for drafting and gave me a 4 minute penalty.  The guy who I was allegedly drafting off of pleaded with the official not to give me a penalty because he didn't overtake properly but the official made the call.  I think I probably deserve the call but it was annoying, if you're going to pass me, pass me, don't just sit there!

Obviously nobody has met a penalty they really liked, but it did mean the difference between doing my goal time and not so I was frustrated.  Have you ever gotten a penalty, and what? Do you think you deserved it?

2012-04-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4124573

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Have you ever gotten a penalty?
" I think I probably deserve the call but it was annoying, if you're going to pass me, pass me, don't just sit there!"

Keep in mind as soon as the person passes you (breaks the plane of your front wheel) it is now your responsibility to drop out of the draft zone through the back immediately (subjective term).

One you've excited the draft zone, you may re enter the zone to repass
2012-04-02 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran

No penalty here, but I had a similar situation in one of the sprints last year where I was passed and then the rider seemed to just settle down into a slower speed right in front of me. I passed her again after hanging back there and worrying about drafting... and she promptly kicked it in and passed me again. It was frustrating for me because I feel that she should have kept her momentum up at least until I was (maintaining my own previous speed) no longer in her zone.

In your case, it sounds like it was not your fault, just bad luck that the tail end of the situation was seen by an official.

2012-04-02 11:10 AM

User image

At  least the guy that caused the penalty tried to stand up for you. Still understand your frustration.

Got a 2:00 penalty in my first tri ever. I didn't even realize it until I looked at my time. It took me a half hour to track someone down and the official record said 'littering on the race course'.....for the life of me I couldn't think what/when I would have tossed anything on the course--other than at aid sations. Loading my bike on my car I realized the number on my bike was gone.......must have come of during the race.

2012-04-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4124627

User image

Veteran

johnyutah5 - 2012-04-02 12:10 PMLoading my bike on my car I realized the number on my bike was gone.......must have come of during the race.

Jeez, seriously!? They gave you a penalty for that? Wow, that's nuts.

2012-04-02 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4124627

User image

Extreme Veteran
johnyutah5 - 2012-04-02 12:10 PM

At  least the guy that caused the penalty tried to stand up for you. Still understand your frustration.

Got a 2:00 penalty in my first tri ever. I didn't even realize it until I looked at my time. It took me a half hour to track someone down and the official record said 'littering on the race course'.....for the life of me I couldn't think what/when I would have tossed anything on the course--other than at aid sations. Loading my bike on my car I realized the number on my bike was gone.......must have come of during the race.

I got a 2:00 penalty in my very first tri because my run number had flipped around (one side had torn off the number belt) and they couldn't see my race number.  Whatev.  LOL

2012-04-02 11:52 AM

At Ironman Canada I was probably 5 km from Oliver when I saw the official pull up beside me on the motorbike. I got really nervous but didn't think I was doing anything wrong because the person in front of me was a good 20 m ahead. Thats when I heard him yell out a penalty not to me but the entire train of people behind me! I had no clue there were people sitting on my rear wheel the whole time.
2012-04-02 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4124694

User image

Coastal Carolina
melanfi - 2012-04-02 12:36 PM

johnyutah5 - 2012-04-02 12:10 PMLoading my bike on my car I realized the number on my bike was gone.......must have come of during the race.

Wow, I think that would have put a bad enough taste in my mouth that I wouldn't be back, you'd think they could tell for purposeful and accidental...

2012-04-02 12:15 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I launched a bottle once when going over railroad track, right as the race officials were passing me on the motorbike. I did go back and get the bottle, but still got dinged with an abandoned equipment penalty.  I was a bit annoyed, as it was a course PR for me, but it is what it is.
2012-04-02 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I once saw my number on a penalty list (at the results table) for drafting which was a shock, given I really try to be careful. Never got notice on the course which I guess is fine but it really bothered me since I was being really careful.

The time penalty was never added to my official time and when the official online results of penalties came out, I was not on the list which was a relief.

I wanted to talk to the race official to figure out the situation right after the race but I didn't want to be "that guy" that makes excuses. If I was seen as drafting by an official, then I will honor their perception, even though I hate seeing my name on that list.

It ended up fine but I felt pretty down about that race based on seeing my number when I reviewed the list on the table after the race.
2012-04-02 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I got a penalty for taking too long to pass.  There were 3 of us trying to kill each other on the bike and we kept attacking and attacking.  I would attack on the uphills and they on the down/flats.  So as I went to push, I realized that I had to do a double pass or else send my team-mate back 3 lengths on a climb.  So I figured it would be best to pass them both.  Well, it took me 17 seconds to make the pass and I got a 2:00 penalty. 

Smart race tactics would have said as soon as I crossed my team-mates wheel, I slid over and sent him 3 lengths to the rear.  Then I have a fresh 15 seconds to pass the next guy.

What that racer did was 100% legal but crappy.  As soon as his front wheel passes yours, you have to go back out of the zone.  Even if that means you have to come to basically a stop.  It sucks, but that's how it works. 

Live and learn right?

2012-04-02 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4124772

User image

oops. Double post

Edited by johnyutah5 2012-04-02 1:16 PM
2012-04-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4124772

User image

Tripopo - 2012-04-02 10:57 AM
melanfi - 2012-04-02 12:36 PM

Wow, I think that would have put a bad enough taste in my mouth that I wouldn't be back, you'd think they could tell for purposeful and accidental...

Funny thing is I felt bad like I did something wrong.....You can be sure that my number was MORE securely fastened at the next tri. Embarassed

Edited by johnyutah5 2012-04-02 1:15 PM
2012-04-02 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4124831

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

mmrocker13 - 2012-04-02 12:15 PM I launched a bottle once when going over railroad track, right as the race officials were passing me on the motorbike. I did go back and get the bottle, but still got dinged with an abandoned equipment penalty.  I was a bit annoyed, as it was a course PR for me, but it is what it is.

How is it abandoned equipment if you picked it up? 

2012-04-02 2:14 PM

Expert

I feel like that it should be illegal to overtake that way but it would be incredibly difficult to police. What is now particularly frustrating thinking about it is that being in the last wave, there are lots of people riding constantly in the left at 16mph.  I think I averaged a little north of 20 including the penalty, but after I made a pass I got to the right.  

The course was routinely blocked and I often had to slow down a bunch to get around or even go in to the lane with vehicular traffic to make these passes as some people just would not move right even as I was coming up.  I asked the penalty tent official if he had seen a blocking penalty yet and he said no.  Argh!!

2012-04-02 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4125053

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

That was my thought. Basically, the answer was along the lines of "we didn't see it--we just saw it go flying" :D No way to prove it after the fact (well, aside from the fact I still HAVE that bottle :p), so I'm not going to argue.  I've been a sports official, and I know how hard it can be and how many judgement calls you have to make and how much it sucks to have angry yahoos yelling at you. I chalk it up to karma points ;-)

2012-04-02 5:45 PM

User image

Master
I received a 2:00 penalty for equipment out of position when my wetsuit was in the middle of an aisle. I put it under the rack but I think someone dragged it out when they took their bike out of the rack. It took me a while to find my suit after the race and didn't realize I had a penalty until I got home and saw the results on-line. I would have had a 3rd place AG finish without the penalty.

Edited by pschriver 2012-04-02 5:45 PM
2012-04-02 6:53 PM

User image

Pro
Yes, I was in a duathlon last year and missed a turn on the course. First time I'd ever been out front and not following someone! I actually went too long on the course. I reported myself since no one had seen, and took the penalty. Still finished 3rd OA, it was a pretty small race!
2012-04-02 7:03 PM
in reply to: #4125189

User image

Payson, AZ
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-04-02 12:14 PM

I feel like that it should be illegal to overtake that way but it would be incredibly difficult to police. What is now particularly frustrating thinking about it is that being in the last wave, there are lots of people riding constantly in the left at 16mph.  I think I averaged a little north of 20 including the penalty, but after I made a pass I got to the right.  

The course was routinely blocked and I often had to slow down a bunch to get around or even go in to the lane with vehicular traffic to make these passes as some people just would not move right even as I was coming up.  I asked the penalty tent official if he had seen a blocking penalty yet and he said no.  Argh!!

There were a lot of people riding left, I agree (I was in one of the last waves as well).  More then I have ever seen at any other race.  If I said on the left most moved over, but of course I shouldn't have had to say it.  I passed two girls riding side by side that forced me over the white line.  They totally didn't get why that was an issue.  Drafting and blocking.  Oh well, it is what it is

2012-04-02 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4125804

User image

The officials were ON TOP of penalties yesterday.  I couldn't believe it.  I actually didn't pass a few people when they were around because I was so nervous about it.

Funny story though...

Last year during the Galveston HIM - my first tri...  I saw some people riding on a motorcycle in the bike lane. I was about to give them a WTF? when I saw them give the rider in front of me a penalty.  First time I'd ever seen an official...  *facepalm*

2012-04-02 9:59 PM

User image

Wow.  Learned a lot reading this thread....haven't done a tri yet but several planned and two registered.  I have a bit to learn.

2012-04-03 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Yep, got a drafting penality last year in an Olympic.  Was cruising nicely along and then we hit a chip sealed road on a uphill.  Guy in front of me slowed down a bit, I tried to pass him but the rough road and uphill sucked all I had left so pulled left about a foot or two at about 2 bike lengths behind to avoid the draft until I recoverd and could get around him.  Apparently I wasn't wide or far enough behind.  At least that is my guess because the official never informed me .  I was pissed at the time because the officials drive by but never tell you a violation until you get home, then have to email the RD to figure out what the penalty was. 

Did I deserve it? Probably, but they had to be really picky as I would have been on the very outside edge of the draft box on an uphill section of road.  Of course the five 40 year olds who were clearly cheating with a peleton didn't get a thing.  Oh well, two tears in a bucket.

2012-04-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4124831

User image

Master

mmrocker13 - 2012-04-02 12:15 PM I launched a bottle once when going over railroad track, right as the race officials were passing me on the motorbike. I did go back and get the bottle, but still got dinged with an abandoned equipment penalty.  I was a bit annoyed, as it was a course PR for me, but it is what it is.

The penalties should be stiffer for this.  Those bottles are a hazard that can really ruin someone's day/season.

2012-04-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4126518

Expert
bgraboski - 2012-04-03 8:14 AM

Yep, got a drafting penality last year in an Olympic.  Was cruising nicely along and then we hit a chip sealed road on a uphill.  Guy in front of me slowed down a bit, I tried to pass him but the rough road and uphill sucked all I had left so pulled left about a foot or two at about 2 bike lengths behind to avoid the draft until I recoverd and could get around him.  Apparently I wasn't wide or far enough behind.  At least that is my guess because the official never informed me .  I was pissed at the time because the officials drive by but never tell you a violation until you get home, then have to email the RD to figure out what the penalty was. 

Did I deserve it? Probably, but they had to be really picky as I would have been on the very outside edge of the draft box on an uphill section of road.  Of course the five 40 year olds who were clearly cheating with a peleton didn't get a thing.  Oh well, two tears in a bucket.

Lol that is exactly how I feel.  I just didn't have much of a choice.  The official didn't tell me how long the penalty was for and did not know where the penalty tent was.

2012-04-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4127253

Master
Northern IL
sand101 - 2012-04-03 11:43 AM

The penalties should be stiffer for this.  Those bottles are a hazard that can really ruin someone's day/season.

For everyone who drops a bottle or just for those who don't go back to get it?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you ever gotten a penalty? Rss Feed  

of 2