General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting observations from 70.3 medical tent re: sodium Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-04-02 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4125574

User image

Subject: RE: Interesting observations from 70.3 medical tent re: sodium
johnyutah5 - 2012-04-02 5:30 PM

Interesting information. As newer triathlete this is a little bit disconcerting. How do you figure out the best balance of electrolytes and water?

I am sure it's hard to know for sure but I will ask anyway, were the people in the tent under-prepared, pushing too hard, both? Or were they prepared and just didn't get the hydration/nutrition right? Answer is probably somewhere in the middle but I thought it would be interesting to hear what the athletes said and your impressions.

From a medical standpoint, you want something that's iso-osmolar or a bit hypo relative to your blood, containing roughly equal parts glucose and sodium, with potassium and chloride thrown in there, with a few others like citrate etc.  That's actually the standard set by the WHO for oral rehydration therapy in terms of content.  Note this kind of formulation is studied within the context of treating diarrhea (aka from Cholera) and not endurance sports.  But the physiology behind why is the starting point for every sports drink manufacturer.

As a general comment, it's actually pretty hard to become hyponaturemic. Pretty much every other electrolyte needs to be out of wack before you start affecting your blood sodium levels.  The exception being severe hyperglycemia (ex diabetics), which can cause a pseudohyponatremia (the sodium is actually hiding in your cells because of the high glucose levels), but you're not sodium deplete.  Granted you have bigger issues to worry about if you're hyperglycemic to that extent anyways.  As mentioned before, you're homeostatic systems pretty much need to be shutting down to get seriously hyponaturemic.

edit: I should probably add that a lot of this might go completely out the window for a long, long IM given the stress it's putting on your body, but I'm still not surprised at the numbers cited earlier for natremia.  Last year volunteering similarly for our city's marathon, hyponatremia was never an issue.

Edited by rdrbme 2012-04-02 10:57 PM

2012-04-02 10:53 PM
in reply to: #4126073

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
agarose2000 - 2012-04-02 9:21 PM

Even if you have a high sweat rate, your thirst mechanism will be all you need to guide you.

It's so powerful that it will kick in before dehydration will affect your electrolytes. No need to overthink this one too. Drink when thirsty or anticipate thirstiness, and don't overdo it. Kidneys will do the rest.

This can be an extremely dangerous line of thought in warm conditions. Read AdventureBear's post above. It's an effort to stay hydrated when it's warm.

2012-04-02 11:05 PM
in reply to: #4126195

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
rdrbme - 2012-04-02 10:47 PM
johnyutah5 - 2012-04-02 5:30 PM

Interesting information. As newer triathlete this is a little bit disconcerting. How do you figure out the best balance of electrolytes and water?

I am sure it's hard to know for sure but I will ask anyway, were the people in the tent under-prepared, pushing too hard, both? Or were they prepared and just didn't get the hydration/nutrition right? Answer is probably somewhere in the middle but I thought it would be interesting to hear what the athletes said and your impressions.

From a medical standpoint, you want something that's iso-osmolar or a bit hypo relative to your blood, containing roughly equal parts glucose and sodium, with potassium and chloride thrown in there, with a few others like citrate etc.  That's actually the standard set by the WHO for oral rehydration therapy in terms of content.  Note this kind of formulation is studied within the context of treating diarrhea (aka from Cholera) and not endurance sports.  But the physiology behind why is the starting point for every sports drink manufacturer.

As a general comment, it's actually pretty hard to become hyponaturemic. Pretty much every other electrolyte needs to be out of wack before you start affecting your blood sodium levels.  The exception being severe hyperglycemia (ex diabetics), which can cause a pseudohyponatremia (the sodium is actually hiding in your cells because of the high glucose levels), but you're not sodium deplete.  Granted you have bigger issues to worry about if you're hyperglycemic to that extent anyways.  As mentioned before, you're homeostatic systems pretty much need to be shutting down to get seriously hyponaturemic.

edit: I should probably add that a lot of this might go completely out the window for a long, long IM given the stress it's putting on your body, but I'm still not surprised at the numbers cited earlier for natremia.  Last year volunteering similarly for our city's marathon, hyponatremia was never an issue.

I'm getting out of my league here, but it's hard to go hyponatremic at rest. During exercise it's a little different, but your comments are similar to this doc:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/hyponatremia.html

note what the former top kona doc says at the bottom...

"Dr. Doug Hiller's experience and observations on triathletes at the Ironman in Hawaii have shown that most hyponatremic athletes in this hot climate are both dehydrated and hyponatremic. Thus, fluid restriction is really not a practical consideration.

Increased salt ingestion is the most prudent course. As long as there is not a medical reason to restrict sodium intake, then increasing your salt intake is perfectly safe. If you consume more sodium than your body needs, then your kidneys simply dump the excess.

In summary, eating salty foods, is a very safe, effective treatment and preventive strategy for exercise associated hyponatremia."

2012-04-03 6:28 AM
in reply to: #4125215

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
For anyone who still cares, high and low salt conditions can exist with the body in neutral, dehydrated or fluid overloaded states.

The hyponatremia reported in the literature a decade or so ago was occuring in a fluid overloaded state...slow runners drinking plain water based on the "drink before you are thirsty assumption". The amount of time they were on the course allowed them to take in far more fluid than the body needed, and withotu adequate electrolytes. The result was a fluid overloaded state of hyponatremia. The response of the body in trying to keep everything equal is to pull fluid out of the blood stream into the tissues to keep sodium levels normal (pull fluid out to raise sodium). When that exceess fluid ends up in the brain...that's when bad stuff happens!! (seizures, coma, death, etc)

there are some other really interesting circumstances taht can result in hyponatremia, such as when an athlete has been drinking the entire race, but feels fine...stops (either quitting, or at teh end of the race) and THEN develops teh hyponatremia. During the exertion the gut has shut down and as the body starts reshunting blood to the gut after exertion is done, the water starts getting processed.

Eh...probably more than anyone wants to know.

Most people don't even need to worry about this if following (now fairly standard) guidelines.
2012-04-03 10:27 AM

LukeTX04 - 2012-04-02 2:20 PM

So, yesterday for the Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas race I worked in the medical tent and took care of a lot of dehydrated, hot, tired folks. I work as an ER nurse for Memorial Hermann in our flagship Level 1 hospital and the med tent was captained by one of our physicians and ER managers. I was very surprised by some of the things that I learned and saw that were unexpected.

We had the pleasure of having an Istat machine so just about everyone that came in who we were giving IV fluids to we were able to send a quick set of electrolytes and have results in about a minute or two. These results are what were surprising. In triathlon, especially longer course racing we always hear of hypo or even sometimes hypernatremia being the culprit for a lot of the problems that we have on the course related to cramping, dizziness, etc. Of all of the labs we ran (quite a few, don't have solid numbers yet) I did NOT see one since sodium value outside of the normal range. Not one. I did have a lot of athletes though that complained of symptoms that would make you think "oh, their sodium is probably low."

What I did see were a lot of results showing solid dehydration, acute renal failure, and a few cases of high potassium. I'm not quite sure what to make of these results yet but I will be doing a lot more research for sure.

Information about the day: it was pretty warm, mid 80's, sunny for the most part with some early cloud cover, and a good bit of wind. There is a pretty decent part of the run course that has zero shade.

I'm sure the results would be different in a full 140.6 and could also be much different with hotter conditions and so forth. I was just surprised because the symptoms were the same, there was no shortage of the ominous dried salt all over black shorts, etc, with no resulting sodium abnormalities.

What say you BT?

I raced yesterday in galveston and here was my nutrition plan and I pr'd by a large margin.  I had ZERO problems....

starting Friday morning I went on into hyperhydration mode.  I drank from sun up through the night at a ration of 2 24ounce bottles of water to 1 24 ounce bottle of Accelerade Hydro with base performance mineral salts (3 scoops) each drink.  ( I was peeing about every hour)

drove to Galveston Friday afternoon with the wife....continued the above protocol.  went out to dinner and stayed in the room the entire night sipping on my drinks or as we started referring to it as "sippin on some medicine" or my "purple drank".

woke up Saturday and 1 cup of coffee and ate breakfast and started on the drink protocol again. I ran 2 miles (easy) and swam 500 meters in the ocean.....that was the only time I spent outside...from my balcony I could see racers running...walking on the beach and my favorite sitting out at the pool all day. I rode my bike from the hotel (San Luis) to the expo to check it in and then my wife picked me up and we went to dinner. I was in bed by 9:30pm 

woke up at 5 and started drinking my pre race drink which is Pedialyte. I drank 24 ounces of Pedialyte and 48 ounces of water by the time I hit the water. I ate two gluten free waffles (not celiac but gluten makes me feel bloated) with peanut butter and ate two cups (packages) of gerber baby food bananas. I took 1 gu in 20 min. before the swim.

after exiting the mosh pit...i mean water. I jumped on the bike which I had a 24 ounce water bottle in the aero bars and a speedfil with Energylabs Execute. 4 scoops for 40 ounces with 6 scoops of base performance mineral salts.

on the bike course I drank 1 bottle of water (24 oz) between each aid station along with roughly 10oz of my speedfil between them.  I never waited till I was thirsty. I just drank. I also took in 3 gu's at mile 20, 35 and 50.

When I got off the bike I hit the run and felt great. no issues except hammies were a little tight in first 2 miles but went away quick.  on the course for the first 8 miles I drank at each aid station 1 perform and 2 waters...I also grabbed ice or sponges and put in my top over my heart or in my crotch ( so much so that my wife asked when I was done if I was happy to see her or just glad to be done racing..hahahah)...the last 5 miles I went to straight coke. I never cramped once or ever walked at all during the entire run. 

This post wasn't meant to brag but to say I think way to many people don't pay enough attention to PRE RACE hydration and pre race activity and the humidity. also I thought people were walking around pre race WAY to long in their wetsuits before they went in the water.. Granted I am coached by someone who has more experience in this type of racing at these distances than anyone on here....except for himself. He knows who he is and you would too. I will let him out himself.

As or the post about it being in the "mid 80s only"....heat index was over 90 and the "wind" felt like a blowdryer in your face..especially near hope road and on the runway..

as for the high Potassium...it could be from all the bananas they had on the race course and people were shoveling them in I guess. I never had a gu or fruit on the course stayed strictly to liquids.

hope this helps anyone as it did me and I raced great...I was fine when I was done and am today (except for the broken middle toe I have from kicking that stupid ramp they had coming out of the water and tripping me)

2012-04-03 12:56 PM

User image

The Natti
Love it. Well done OP.

The primary function of salt is a transporter of fluid. All you need is enough to ensure that fluid will move out of your gut and the solution is isotonic.

The second function is that salty flavors work better for endurance athletes. Sweet drinks make most athletes gag after a long period and when the drink is warm.

This backs up what Friel has been saying for a couple of years.

2012-04-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4126200

Master
tjfry - 2012-04-02 10:53 PM
agarose2000 - 2012-04-02 9:21 PM

Even if you have a high sweat rate, your thirst mechanism will be all you need to guide you.

It's so powerful that it will kick in before dehydration will affect your electrolytes. No need to overthink this one too. Drink when thirsty or anticipate thirstiness, and don't overdo it. Kidneys will do the rest.

This can be an extremely dangerous line of thought in warm conditions. Read AdventureBear's post above. It's an effort to stay hydrated when it's warm.

Almost all medical professional will disagree with you on this. There is no value to hyper-hydrating. Yes, there is danger in under-hydrating on a hot day, so you should not wait until you're parched, and if you really are sweating, start drinking before you're really thirsty. However, again, thirst is one of our most powerful drives and is the best indicator you have for your hydration status. Forced drinking while not thristy led directly to that hyponatremia scare in marathons a few years back when slow athletes kept drinking even when they weren't thristy - several cautions were promptly issued from medical associations to NOT do this and to go by thirst. 

I'll be we are on the same page in practice - if it's hot and humid out, you better believe I'll be aggressively hydrating even if I'm not thirsty (but fully expect to be.) However, there's no way I'll continue hyperhydrating in low-swewat conditions. 

2012-04-03 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I know this post is far from the original post I'm referencing, but what's the deal with this weigh before and after stuff to indicate sweat? I'm no expert, but that sounds like bunk to me. what about the conversion of food mass to energy? 1lb of food in doesn't always equal 1lb of food out the other side. what about the moisture in our breath (this can be substantial when you breath heavily for over 20 miles of running)?
2012-04-03 1:28 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Interesting information, Luke--thank you for volunteering and posting your observations here!

I also am not surprised, although I am wondering about seeing a lot of acute renal failure--was that a determination made from observed high BUN and creatinine?

2012-04-03 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4127567

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
agarose2000 - 2012-04-03 12:09 PM

tjfry - 2012-04-02 10:53 PM

Almost all medical professional will disagree with you on this.

Does anyone else see the irony here?
2012-04-03 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4127635

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
AdventureBear - 2012-04-03 1:35 PMDoes anyone else see the irony here?
LoL. I know at least one MD that agrees with your post, AB. You know her, too.

2012-04-03 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4127646

User image

Melon Presser

Danno77 - 2012-04-04 2:38 AM

I, too, see the irony but I still want to know about the acute renal failure!

On a very subjective and somewhat side note ... apparently quite a few people made it into the med tent with hypothermia at IM Melbourne. Since I found myself with a couple hours to diddle around in there, I had some good chats with the med tent head (a physician), a nurse, and two paramedics. All of them were of the opinion (no cool electrolyte/blood level testing machines) that of the ones who came in with hypothermia, many (including myself) were also dehydrated* beyond what would be normal for even as long as some of us were out there, and that contributed to the hypothermia.

Makes sense to me; any other opinions out there?

*I'm quite sure this was indeed true for me as it is very hard to suck up liquids (from an aerobottle) with frozen lips, and though I was trying to take hits off my downtube bottle, those are very hard to handle with numb hands ...

2012-04-03 1:56 PM

Regular
LukeTX04 - 2012-04-02 3:20 PM

What I did see were a lot of results showing solid dehydration, acute renal failure, and a few cases of high potassium. I'm not quite sure what to make of these results yet but I will be doing a lot more research for sure.

No one really wanted to answer the renal failure and high potassium, since most of the talk was about salt. But they are all linked and make perfect sense.  So here it goes:

First, the dehydration was due to isotonic fluid deficit.  Basically, the salt and the water levels remain an isotonic solution, where neither salt nor water is out of whack individually, but both are low together.  Water follows salt, so it makes sense both would be low.  If you just took in salt, you still won't correct the problem unless you take in water with it.  That way, you can have a temporary isotonic fluid excess, thereby balancing out the deficit and getting normal fluid levels. 

Second, the acute renal failure and hyperkalemia (extra potassium) are linked.  Acute Renal Failure has 3 different classifications: Pre renal, intra renal, or post renal.  Post renal acute failure is due to a blockage downstream from the kidneys, like a kidney stone jamming up the urethra.  And Intra renal is due to necrosis of the kidney cells.  But this is usually drug induced or due to ischemia.  I doubt this is the case with athletes.  Also, you would see a salt imbalance since the kidney cells aren't working and the salt is getting excreted, not maintained.  So the problem is Pre renal acute kidney failure. 

Pre renal is due to a few different causes which decrease the rate that the kidney filters blood.  These can be: chronic heart failure, shock, hypotension, and hypovolemia.  All attack the filtration rate of the kidney by decreasing it.  The first three listed, are likely not the causes at the race.  But since everyone was dehydrated, they were experiencing hypovolemia, a lack of blood volume due to isotonic fluid deficits.  The kidney will try to correct this by keeping in salt so the filtration rate can get back to normal (water follows salt, so more salt, more water, more water in blood means the blood volume can get to normal, and the kidney can have the normal fluid volumes to filter).  Salt levels remained normal since the kidneys were definitely not excreting it. But the people still did not take in enough water, so the hypovolemia created a lack of filtration by the kidneys, creating the renal failure.

Hyperkalemia was due to the pre renal acute kidney failure.  When the body undergoes kidney failure, like it was in these people's cases, it will undergo a process called the Renin-Angiotensin-aldosterone system.  You can google how it works, but basically its a hormonal process to maintain proper blood fluid volumes, blood pressure, and kidney filtration rates by keeping in salt, keeping in water, and constricting blood vessels..  However, with this system, potassium is expelled.  The cells are being hit with hormones telling them to release potassium.  The potassium is supposed to be excreted by the kidneys.  However, since the blood volume is low, the kidneys are not filtering, which means they aren't excreting anything. Potassium is staying in the blood creating the hyperkalemia. 

To compound this, if the people didn't train enough, or if they pushed it harder than they should have, they could have created a temporary hydrogen imbalance as well.  CO2 levels and hydrogen are linked, so an increase in CO2 in the blood means an increase in hydrogen levels.  An increase in hydrogen ions creates acidosis, which is pretty bad news and will shut down the body pretty quickly. To compensate, the the body uses respiration and cellular ion shifts for a quick fix.  You will breath quicker (to get rid of CO2, thus hydrogen) and the cells will absorb hydrogen ions so they aren't all pooled around in the blood to cause acidosis.  Hydrogen ions though replace potassium ions in cells.  The potassium is released into the blood, thereby creating hyperkalemia as well. 

Hopefully this has explained it in a way that makes sense. 

2012-04-03 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4127687

User image

Runner
TriAya - 2012-04-03 2:53 PM

Danno77 - 2012-04-04 2:38 AM

I, too, see the irony but I still want to know about the acute renal failure!

On a very subjective and somewhat side note ... apparently quite a few people made it into the med tent with hypothermia at IM Melbourne. Since I found myself with a couple hours to diddle around in there, I had some good chats with the med tent head (a physician), a nurse, and two paramedics. All of them were of the opinion (no cool electrolyte/blood level testing machines) that of the ones who came in with hypothermia, many (including myself) were also dehydrated* beyond what would be normal for even as long as some of us were out there, and that contributed to the hypothermia.

Makes sense to me; any other opinions out there?

*I'm quite sure this was indeed true for me as it is very hard to suck up liquids (from an aerobottle) with frozen lips, and though I was trying to take hits off my downtube bottle, those are very hard to handle with numb hands ...

In other activities, I have seen both heat and cold injuries stem from poor fluid and nutritional intake, so yes it makes sense.
2012-04-03 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Lots of really great replies by many much smarter than I! I have just scanned the last few pages because since I posted last I have worked all night, slept all day today and am headed out for a quick run before I have to work again tonight. Will be back tomorrow with a more useful reply but for now, adios and thanks for all of the insightful thought!
2012-04-03 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4127646

Master

Danno77 - 2012-04-03 1:38 PM

For all the doubters who apparently think I'm just making up this recommendation by MDs regarding the value of drinking to thirst for endurance sports:

"A group of experts in this condition has issued a number of papers and recommendations, including an international consensus statement on this disorder published in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine in 2005. Joseph Verbalis, M.D., Professor and Interim Chair of the Department of Medicine at Georgetown University Medical Center and a member of this group, recently updated the scientific community on the causes of this disorder in the May issue ofSports Medicine. "

The hyponatremia consensus panel has recommended that everyone, including endurance exercisers, should "drink to thirst" " that is, drink only when you feel you need to. Verbalis acknowledges that this advice is controversial, because some trainers and sports physiologists contend that "by the time you're actually thirsty, you have lost enough fluid to already be dehydrated, so they say you need to drink in anticipation of becoming dehydrated. 

"We dispute that notion, and contend that thirst is a good indicator of your body's need for fluids, and that there is a window of time over which you can rehydrate safely," he says. While a person "needs to lose about 1-2 percent of body water before thirst will reliably remind you to drink, losing that little is not sufficient to cause any significant health problems," Verbalis says. "Many of us are often dehydrated to such small degrees, and it does not significantly affect us."

Source: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/74522.php

(No, it's not the actual science article itself, but it's a summary of the consensus findings.)

Given that this is a CONSENSUS statement, it's pretty good as a recommendation to be followed by most doctors. Thirst is pretty good. 

FOr more reading with scientifically backed statements from the MD field, do a google serach on "drinking to thirst endurance training" or something similar, and there are a lot of similar discussions, from MDs that recommend the same, also from more recent dates.

Edited by agarose2000 2012-04-03 6:16 PM

2012-04-04 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4126952

User image

Payson, AZ
Kman74 - 2012-04-03 8:27 AM

So, yesterday for the Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas race I worked in the medical tent and took care of a lot of dehydrated, hot, tired folks. I work as an ER nurse for Memorial Hermann in our flagship Level 1 hospital and the med tent was captained by one of our physicians and ER managers. I was very surprised by some of the things that I learned and saw that were unexpected.

We had the pleasure of having an Istat machine so just about everyone that came in who we were giving IV fluids to we were able to send a quick set of electrolytes and have results in about a minute or two. These results are what were surprising. In triathlon, especially longer course racing we always hear of hypo or even sometimes hypernatremia being the culprit for a lot of the problems that we have on the course related to cramping, dizziness, etc. Of all of the labs we ran (quite a few, don't have solid numbers yet) I did NOT see one since sodium value outside of the normal range. Not one. I did have a lot of athletes though that complained of symptoms that would make you think "oh, their sodium is probably low."

Information about the day: it was pretty warm, mid 80's, sunny for the most part with some early cloud cover, and a good bit of wind. There is a pretty decent part of the run course that has zero shade.

I'm sure the results would be different in a full 140.6 and could also be much different with hotter conditions and so forth. I was just surprised because the symptoms were the same, there was no shortage of the ominous dried salt all over black shorts, etc, with no resulting sodium abnormalities.

What say you BT?

I raced yesterday in galveston and here was my nutrition plan and I pr'd by a large margin.  I had ZERO problems....

starting Friday morning I went on into hyperhydration mode.  I drank from sun up through the night at a ration of 2 24ounce bottles of water to 1 24 ounce bottle of Accelerade Hydro with base performance mineral salts (3 scoops) each drink.  ( I was peeing about every hour)

drove to Galveston Friday afternoon with the wife....continued the above protocol.  went out to dinner and stayed in the room the entire night sipping on my drinks or as we started referring to it as "sippin on some medicine" or my "purple drank".

woke up Saturday and 1 cup of coffee and ate breakfast and started on the drink protocol again. I ran 2 miles (easy) and swam 500 meters in the ocean.....that was the only time I spent outside...from my balcony I could see racers running...walking on the beach and my favorite sitting out at the pool all day. I rode my bike from the hotel (San Luis) to the expo to check it in and then my wife picked me up and we went to dinner. I was in bed by 9:30pm 

woke up at 5 and started drinking my pre race drink which is Pedialyte. I drank 24 ounces of Pedialyte and 48 ounces of water by the time I hit the water. I ate two gluten free waffles (not celiac but gluten makes me feel bloated) with peanut butter and ate two cups (packages) of gerber baby food bananas. I took 1 gu in 20 min. before the swim.

after exiting the mosh pit...i mean water. I jumped on the bike which I had a 24 ounce water bottle in the aero bars and a speedfil with Energylabs Execute. 4 scoops for 40 ounces with 6 scoops of base performance mineral salts.

on the bike course I drank 1 bottle of water (24 oz) between each aid station along with roughly 10oz of my speedfil between them.  I never waited till I was thirsty. I just drank. I also took in 3 gu's at mile 20, 35 and 50.

When I got off the bike I hit the run and felt great. no issues except hammies were a little tight in first 2 miles but went away quick.  on the course for the first 8 miles I drank at each aid station 1 perform and 2 waters...I also grabbed ice or sponges and put in my top over my heart or in my crotch ( so much so that my wife asked when I was done if I was happy to see her or just glad to be done racing..hahahah)...the last 5 miles I went to straight coke. I never cramped once or ever walked at all during the entire run. 

This post wasn't meant to brag but to say I think way to many people don't pay enough attention to PRE RACE hydration and pre race activity and the humidity. also I thought people were walking around pre race WAY to long in their wetsuits before they went in the water.. Granted I am coached by someone who has more experience in this type of racing at these distances than anyone on here....except for himself. He knows who he is and you would too. I will let him out himself.

As or the post about it being in the "mid 80s only"....heat index was over 90 and the "wind" felt like a blowdryer in your face..especially near hope road and on the runway..

as for the high Potassium...it could be from all the bananas they had on the race course and people were shoveling them in I guess. I never had a gu or fruit on the course stayed strictly to liquids.

hope this helps anyone as it did me and I raced great...I was fine when I was done and am today (except for the broken middle toe I have from kicking that stupid ramp they had coming out of the water and tripping me)

Wow that is an insane amount of liquid.  I would not do that.  I also raced there and I just drank like I normally do.  All water until race day.  I had one bottle of triple mix Heed on the bike, everything else was water.  I had no cramping either.  Not even a hint.  I am not saying what you did was wrong, clearly it worked for you.  And I do agree that folks neglect their pre-race hydration.  But those are the same people who neglect their hydration all the time. 

2012-04-04 8:35 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Agarose, no one thInks your making it up. But that concensus statement is specifically about preventing hyponatrenia, while the topic we've been discussions is such severe dehydration to cause renal failure, elevated potassium, blood in the urine, etc. These anecdotes are all about people who have ended up in the medical tent primarily for dehydration. But next time I volunteer, instead of giving IV fluids I'll just hand out concensus statements instead.

We've all suggested that MOST people don't need to compicate things. But we are talking about outliers, the People that end up in the medical tent, the people who if they lose 1-2 % of their body weight in the first hour of an ironman can never, ever hope of maintaining even a 2% loss. In addition, training and racing in the heat must be planned for and acclimatized for, or drinking to thirst or not, you'll run a high risk of heat injury.

No doctor would ever recommend ignoring the individual for the same of a concensus statement, (which is a collection of opinions).

The concensus statement was created to keep people from being stupid and following previously incorrect guidelines that didn't aPply to the slow marathoners, who were certainly. It dehydrated as they developed a fluid overloaded state of hyponatremia. It's easier to fix simple fluid loss than to stop your brain swelling once it's started takIng place.

2012-04-04 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4128234

User image

Extreme Veteran
agarose2000 - 2012-04-03 6:08 PM

The hyponatremia consensus panel has recommended that everyone, including endurance exercisers, should "drink to thirst" " that is, drink only when you feel you need to.

This might work for most people but it doesn't work for me. I do not get thirsty but I do sweat a lot. I am consistently sweating about 48oz per hour. I had to calculate how much to drink and I follow that.

It doesn't have to be complicated and it's just a guideline but I know if I am not drinking 30-32oz per hour on the bike I will end up dehydrated.

I am just bad at assessing PE and am bad at assessing hydration. I don't know how to listen to my body and I suspect I am not the only one.

2012-04-04 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4128908

bzgl40 - 2012-04-04 6:54 AM
Kman74 - 2012-04-03 8:27 AM

What say you BT?

Wow that is an insane amount of liquid.  I would not do that.  I also raced there and I just drank like I normally do.  All water until race day.  I had one bottle of triple mix Heed on the bike, everything else was water.  I had no cramping either.  Not even a hint.  I am not saying what you did was wrong, clearly it worked for you.  And I do agree that folks neglect their pre-race hydration.  But those are the same people who neglect their hydration all the time. 

I should clarify that the pre race drinking of liquids was not like I just sat and drank and drank and drank.....I just always had a bottle in my hand sipping on it all day..I think I took in close to 300oz each day Friday and Saturday. a little over 2 gallons a day for two days.

2012-04-04 9:57 AM

User image

New user
NE Kentucky

So what does a newbie do with all this? I've been training for 3 months now, logged quite a few miles (at least for me). Now I am completely convinced that I DO NOT want acute renal failure or any of the other "hypo/hyper-osis" stuff. 

(Btw-did major in exercise science as an undergrad, did enjoy reading the science behind all this, and "mostly" understood it.)

#confused

2012-04-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4129187

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN

This might work for most people but it doesn't work for me. I do not get thirsty but I do sweat a lot. I am consistently sweating about 48oz per hour. I had to calculate how much to drink and I follow that.

It doesn't have to be complicated and it's just a guideline but I know if I am not drinking 30-32oz per hour on the bike I will end up dehydrated.

I am just bad at assessing PE and am bad at assessing hydration. I don't know how to listen to my body and I suspect I am not the only one.

This describes me as well.  While I've never actually figured out what my sweat rate is, I can tell you that if I'm not very deliberate about taking in fluids I simply won't do it because I just don't feel thirsty. 

Earlier this year I was having heart palpitations and after a visit with the doc and some detailed discussions it become obvious I was dehydrated.  But I never felt thirsty....

I've also been told the efficiency of our thirst mechanism declines as we age.  No idea if that is true or not though...

2012-04-04 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4129423

User image

Melon Presser
crazyprof40 - 2012-04-04 10:57 PM

So what does a newbie do with all this? I've been training for 3 months now, logged quite a few miles (at least for me). Now I am completely convinced that I DO NOT want acute renal failure or any of the other "hypo/hyper-osis" stuff. 

(Btw-did major in exercise science as an undergrad, did enjoy reading the science behind all this, and "mostly" understood it.)

#confused

That really is what the training is for in terms of also practicing nutrition/hydration strategies during. Starting points can be drinking at thirst and a gel or equivalent calories (these are usually taken with water as well, unless it's already a drink like Gatorade) every hour for stuff over an hour. Chances are that once you start going long (whatever that means to you, 2-3 hour rides or runs for example) you'll have a session where things do not go well or do not work or did not work in terms of eating/drinking, and that's where you start making adjustments.

2012-04-04 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4129495

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
DB - 2012-04-04 10:22 AM

This describes me as well.  While I've never actually figured out what my sweat rate is, I can tell you that if I'm not very deliberate about taking in fluids I simply won't do it because I just don't feel thirsty. 

Earlier this year I was having heart palpitations and after a visit with the doc and some detailed discussions it become obvious I was dehydrated.  But I never felt thirsty....

I've also been told the efficiency of our thirst mechanism declines as we age.  No idea if that is true or not though...

Most can't. It's easy to say "weigh yourself before and then after exercise to determine", and while that works fine in a controlled environment, it doesn't really offer much in the real world. If you live in Canada and determine your sweat rate in the fall, then go race Ironman Cozumel (a late November race) your sweat rate won't even be close, and you will visit a Mexican hospital if you follow that hydration plan. Same goes for me if I went up and did IM Wisconsin. I would over drink if I relied on my Houston sweat rate. The reality is that your sweat rate will change daily based on heat, humidity, heat acclimation, hydration levels, etc. Not to mention that you lose a decent amount of fluid just by exhaling. That's why experimentation is so important when you train.

Take this site and others with a grain of salt (pardon the pun) or a biased eye. The advice someone gives from a northern climate will vary from what someone from a very hot and humid climate like myself give. Both might be right.

2012-04-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4129568

User image

Extreme Veteran
tjfry - 2012-04-04 10:48 AM
DB - 2012-04-04 10:22 AM

This describes me as well.  While I've never actually figured out what my sweat rate is,

Most can't. It's easy to say "weigh yourself before and then after exercise to determine", and while that works fine in a controlled environment, it doesn't really offer much in the real world. If you live in Canada and determine your sweat rate in the fall, then go race Ironman Cozumel (a late November race) your sweat rate won't even be close, and you will visit a Mexican hospital if you follow that hydration plan. Same goes for me if I went up and did IM Wisconsin. I would over drink if I relied on my Houston sweat rate. The reality is that your sweat rate will change daily based on heat, humidity, heat acclimation, hydration levels, etc. Not to mention that you lose a decent amount of fluid just by exhaling. That's why experimentation is so important when you train.

Take this site and others with a grain of salt (pardon the pun) or a biased eye. The advice someone gives from a northern climate will vary from what someone from a very hot and humid climate like myself give. Both might be right.

I agree with you. Sweat rate is not an exact measure and should not be calculated from 1 sample. Nor should it be the only criteria used for figuring out fluids.

I do a spot check now and then, different times of the year, treadmill, outdoor....it gives me a rough idea. I only check it on long workouts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting observations from 70.3 medical tent re: sodium Rss Feed  

of 4