General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-02 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee)

Yesteday I did Lonestar 70.3 (my first half).

I've ridden the entire course before, though never non stop.

About 30 miles in or so first my left, then 5 miles later, my right leg started to cramp.  The cramp was just above the knee on the inside of my leg.  Lower inner thigh I guess.  It was bad enough that when I stopped peddaling a few times with one or the other leg fully extended I had a really hard time getting it to move again.  Basically had to push it with the other leg.  After that almost caused me to run off the road I made sure to only "coast" when neither leg was extended.

I was worried about being able to dismount but it wasn't an issue.  The first 3 miles of the run had some cramping in the same spot as well.  I walked it out (though walking hurt more than running) then ran till it cramped again. 

That stopped for the rest of the run.  The muscel in both of those areas is sore to the touch today... I think I'll roll them some.

Is this a lack of sodium, or a fitness issue, or ... ?

2012-04-02 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4125418

User image

Orlando
Subject: RE: Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee)

I have the same exact problem on long rides and especially runs immediately following long rides.  I don't think its fitness since I trained for and completed Ironman St. George with no problems but had the issue occur in an olympic just a few months later.  I know that I am a heavy sweater so my first guess was hydration but you would think that I would have cramping issues in other muscles. 

The only thing I have found so far is that the problem happens more often when I wear longer tri shorts. I have a pair of Garneau's that sit right about where the cramp happens. I also have a pair of Desoto's that sit a bit higher and I have never cramped while wearing them.  Its a reach but I'm starting to think that the longer shorts are just too tight around that part of my leg.

2012-04-02 3:34 PM

User image

New user
Monterey

Is this a lack of sodium, or a fitness issue, or ... ?

Could be a little of both. I think it's just called, "Triathlon."

2012-04-02 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4125439

User image

Master
Houston
Mirdban - 2012-04-02 3:33 PM

I have the same exact problem on long rides and especially runs immediately following long rides.  I don't think its fitness since I trained for and completed Ironman St. George with no problems but had the issue occur in an olympic just a few months later.  I know that I am a heavy sweater so my first guess was hydration but you would think that I would have cramping issues in other muscles. 

The only thing I have found so far is that the problem happens more often when I wear longer tri shorts. I have a pair of Garneau's that sit right about where the cramp happens. I also have a pair of Desoto's that sit a bit higher and I have never cramped while wearing them.  Its a reach but I'm starting to think that the longer shorts are just too tight around that part of my leg.

I don't think shorts are my issue.  I was wearing Desoto 4 pocket Rivera shorts.  They stop a fair way above this area. 

It is really odd to me that this area is tender to the touch today.

2012-04-02 3:44 PM

Cramping is a big mystery in endurance sports, but most often are associated intense effort over distance.  Sounds too obvious, but the suspected reason why they occur in races so often is because we usually race harder than we train and for a longer period of time.  So it often times comes down to proper pacing.  The harder you go, the more nutrition you may need and the harder it is to digest.   

Sounds like you were trying to race above your current ability.  There is nothing wrong with that, sometimes you have to take the chance, but your body wasn't ready.  In my best HIM, I cramped badly in the last half mile, which was almost perfect (on the edge, but not over).  I was more fit the next year came back and cramped at mile 3 of the run, not so perfect and walked in 30 minutes slower despite being in better shape.  It's all learning and the more you race the more you learn.    

Edited by saltman95 2012-04-02 3:45 PM
2012-04-02 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

In addition to the above mentioned, did you change your cleat type any time recently? 

Once I switched to speed plays with unlimited float, my heels naturally align closer to my bike compared to the position of heel with my fixed shimano style cleat, making the inner quads fire much more than in the past.

Just a thought...

Edited by bgeyeguy 2012-04-02 4:20 PM

2012-04-02 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4125542

User image

Master
Houston
bgeyeguy - 2012-04-02 4:19 PM

In addition to the above mentioned, did you change your cleat type any time recently? 

Once I switched to speed plays with unlimited float, my heels naturally align closer to my bike compared to the toe position of my fixed shimano style cleat, making the inner quads fire much more than in the past.

Just a thought...

Good thought, but no I got my fit about 6 months ago and haven't changed anything that I know of.  Did have some maintenance done at the fitters shop (Race day clean up) but nothing to change fit.

It is possible my leg position opened or closed more on the ride??? I do know after it started cramping I paid more attention to "wiping the mud off" on the bottom of my stroke. 

2012-04-02 4:40 PM

User image

Were you watching your cadence and gearing? How did it compare to your training rides. I have noticed that when my cadence drops and I start to "mash" the gears a bit I can feel the fatigue in the same area that you said was cramping. If I can get the cadence back up with a gear change I can feel the difference immediatly. my .02

By the way congrats, on taking on the 70.3. Look forward to reading your race report.  

2012-04-02 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4125595

I've ridden the entire course before, though never non stop.

So many responses seem to ignore this nugget.  I am guessing the OP has not ridden the course after swimming 1.2 miles either.  So you have someone in his first HIM, starting the ride with a higher HR and calorie deficit and attempting to ride straight through having never done so before. 

Before tweaking cleat position, cadence, bike shorts, etc., wouldn't it be of interest if he simply kept training and worked on better pacing in the next race?  If the cramps didn't occur in training based on cleats, shorts and cadence what changed?  My guess is effort.

And to the OP, congrats on fighting through to the finish, in spite of the cramping!   

Edited by saltman95 2012-04-02 5:00 PM
2012-04-02 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4125626

User image

I would say fitness. 

Keep in mind that you need to adjust your effort levels due to the weather too.  When it's hot, you have to slow down. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee) Rss Feed