2006-05-21 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Building base on the bike
Here is my problem

I love tri.

I have yet to develop love for cycling

the bike is where you spend the most time in a tri.

So I am wondering, am I doing something wrong? What is it that makes many of you love biking? When I go out, I seem to be so concentrated on my form and keeping a good pace that it just blows my mind to think that I should be doing this for hours on end to buid a base. Am I overanalysing this?

How much should I ride to be considred as buiding a base? When I ride, do I need to do my entire ride at the fastest pace I can hold the entire session for? I am training for a handful of sprints and 1 or 2 olys (my first ones) later in the season and I know for a fact that my weakest link is by far the bike.

I just need more insight into how I can learn to love cycling and being on my bike for long rides. At this point I get bored after 60 minutes, sometimes before that. I also bike alone and don;t think that will change much n the future so "find a training buddy" ight not be possible fr now.

I know a lot of you love the bike so I am looking forward to your comments. Anyone else start off feeling like I do and now can't live without a long ride every few days.?

2006-05-21 4:21 PM
in reply to: #429410

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Building base on the bike

Ok, here's a couple things:

1) when you ride, go explore.  Go someplace you haven't gone again.  make it feel like you were 7 years old

2) to build a base you should be riding at least 3 times a week in zone 1 but NOTHING above zone 2

3) you should ABSOLUTELY not ride the entire session at the fastest pace you can hold, then you won't be building a "base" like you mentioned you want to do.

we all have the our "choice" sport and yours may just not be biking...but don't worry, I'm sure that will change with time...

is there a local cycling club in your area?  hook up with them once a week if you can. 

2006-05-21 4:27 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
It sounds like you are working too hard right now, both physically and mentally on the bike. Echo what was said above. Even though biking is (usually) not as intense as running can be, you still need to build base at a lower heart rate than you probably realize. If you are really new to the sport, you can just go tool around, but it sounds like you are a step above that level. Take it easy, you shouldn't be huffing & puffing, you should be riding a little short of where you start to breath in a labored fashion (that's probably even still a little too hard, but a reasonable guideline if you havn't done any formal or even informal fitness testing on the bike).

Just try to have fun, find new scenery. When I lived in central PA, my goal was to create the longest route I could trying to link only Amish farms with one another. it was a great way to explore, meet some Amish folks and see lots of "old fashioned" ways of life. There is adventure to be found just about everywhere.
2006-05-21 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

One of the famous sayings on the website, (courtesy of The Bear) is Ride Lots.  Well, what does that mean.  The goal I've been working towards is to ride 400 miles a month.  This usually means 3 rides a week, 2 for 25 miles and 1 long ride for 50 plus.  Doing this for a whole month is hard, with family and weather.   Of course, you can't start at that level and have to build up to that much time in the saddle. 

For pace level, read this thread.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&posts=202&start=1.  I can't emphasize enough how much heart rate training has helped me.   Read TH3FRb's logs for how HR training can help. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=6360&year=&month=&day=

As far as getting bored.  Once you start putting in serious time, you learn to almost self-hypnotize.  I go into almost a zone where time goes quickly and you miss the zone when you don't get to spend time there.  Wow, dude a little too philosphical there.  For me getting into that zone while swimming is hard.  Plus I lose count on my laps.

Ernie

2006-05-21 5:05 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Exploration combined with achievement is the key for me.  I have an "ultimate goal" for a round trip one day ride and whenever I can do a long ride I head out on that route and go a little further each time.  Sometimes I add little side trips, whatever.  But exploration really is what interests me in those long rides. 

2006-05-21 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Thanks for all you help.

I guess I just needed a little boost tp get me back in the saddle. After reading a few posts I went online and tried to find dedicated bike trails in my area. I feel the fact that I do all my rides on city streets has caused me to dread the whole process.

I am happy to have found a few 20 mile bike trails not too far from my area where I will be able to just get out there and ride while enjoying the scenery. I also just received my HRM monitor that i had to have repaired by Timex since my strap had broken off.

So some new enjoyable routes combined with the use of my HRM should help me find that motivation I am lacking. I agree too that once I start feeling some nice profression in my base training I should be good to go for the rest of the season and then in the off season (thankfully that is still far behind us)

Thanks fellow BT'ers, you're always there when a guy needs a kick in the saddle.

2006-05-21 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, a good base starts at 25 miles a week... then after a month... work up to 50 miles a week... after about another 2 months... work up to 80-100 miles a week.

You can ride 3 days a week and get all your miles in too.

As far as not loving cycling... I don't understand why you don't?

It's the EASIEST of the 3 disciplines. And, the most fun. It sounds like you are really over thinking it. Focus on your cadenece and shifting when you need to. Otherwise, look around, enjoy the scenery. Soak up your training time. Be happy that you have 2 good legs and a good heart that can take you down the road.

As far as riding alone. Have you searched for any cycling clubs in your area? I have 1 cycling club and a triathlon club that I ride with in Dallas, TX. Both offer great rides with people who push me. Don't rule out making friends with cyclists. I know cycling is fun for me when I ride with a group and chat with people along the way.

Finally, if you can't find anyone... why not wear an earbud in ONE EAR... the right one (the ear away from the street)... and listen to music that will inspire you to stay motivated.

Best of luck.

2006-05-22 5:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I come from a cycling RR background and actually I have to sort of "check" myself from not doing too much(as a percentage of my total workouts) riding. Bear and others are right, ride longer/more miles during basebuilding. Biking strength is very important, almost half or more of the racing time is spent on the bike. It is where the biggest time gains or losses will be made.

Edited by Special K 2006-05-22 5:57 AM
2006-05-22 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I for one love to ride.

I love the feel of going fast, being one with nature, seeing things I miss while driving. I feel like a kid when I used to ride everywhere.

Finding a place good to ride is key...some roads I feel more comfortable and safe riding and enjoy it more. Nothing is more wonderful to find a new route that rocks!

Ask a LBS for ideas where to ride. Buy books or maps with bike rides for your area. We bought a pocket book of rides to do in MA 6 years ago and finally figured them out this year. There are two near our house that are two lengths 15 and aboug 30 and they can connect. I have figured how to adjust them, all on safer roads, so I can ride hills and/or flats and go up to 60 miles ...it has made my riding more fun this year.

While riding around I find painted bike arrows on the ground and sometimes I just follow them.

For me I didn't really like swimming or running, but doing it more and improving I do like them. My  hope for you is that comes with cycling this season!

2006-05-22 8:05 AM
in reply to: #429936

Elite
Laurium, MI

I build base on my commutes.  When I ride to school, I'm on my mountain bike.  I have no computer on it, so I just ride leasurely and easily.  I don't worry about speed or cadence, I just pedal comfortably (naturally comes out to 75 to 80 rpm).  The rides are the most enjoyable rides ever.  I'm not working hard, I'm just cruising through the park, looking at the sights.  On nice days I extend my ride further to put more time in.  My commute to school can last as short as 15 mine (hammering on the roads) or as long as an hour or more depending on my mood and what part of the park I want to see that day.

So for you initial base building, forget everything and just go ride to have fun.  As long as you are putting the miles in and not grinding the big gear, you are building base.

2006-05-22 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Thanks for all of the help. This is great!

2006-05-22 8:55 AM

User image

Master
brummie land
i had a great ride like that on saturday. i had to do 30 miles so just took off on a disused railway line, randomly met two guys who cycled back with me to my starting point, then i tootled off to ride byt he river mersey and then on to cholrton water park - great scenery and a thoroughly enjoyable ride - despite getting sodden through! its amazing how much fun you can have in three hours on your bike
2006-05-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #430017

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Ride lotS

and ....

Ride loSt

Nothing like learning the area around you by going for an epic ride at an easy pace.

Make at least one ride a week a "long" ride with at least 2 hours in the saddle. You don't have to be hammering fast, or who cares about the mileage. You just want to get used to time in the saddle.

Group rides are good, but too often they will push you above your limit for base building, and/or they make you too reliant on drafting, which you cannot do in a tri race.
2006-05-22 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Once again thanks for the great tips and comments.

Today was the 1st day in nearly two weeks that it wasnt rainingin my area (we broke a 30 year record for most consecutive rain days...yey!) so I decided to go out for a ride and use the tips i have gotten. I left the computer at home, filled up a few water bottles, put on a light jacket, left the MP3 at home and decided to explore my environment.

I found a nice bike trail that follows the St-Lawrence river and just road at a pace that I felt comfortable at but also felt like I was doing some work. I had my HRM monitor and my average for my 70 minute ride was 154. Not having set my zones for cycling yet, I simply used my run zones minus about 8-10 beats and so I think the 154 would fall at high Z1 low Z2. I felt great and actually ended up enjoying the ride. I road 90% of the ride using my new aerobars so that was fun too.

I think I was probably going at 80-100 through out the session but tried not to think of it too much.

Anyways, I am not yet dreaming aboutmy next ride but I think, if I stop stressing thelittle things, I might make some good progress this season.

Thanks again. Next ride is Wednesday, going to try to go for 2 hours. (that would be my longest ride ever..
2006-05-22 3:28 PM
in reply to: #430626

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
That's a start! Congrats on getting out there and enjoying it. Before you know it, anything less than an hour ride will feel like a waste of time.
2006-05-22 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
That is a great start, congratulations on enjoying your ride.

I personally find cycling fun because it is the one tri related activity I get to do with my friends. Sometimes we go fast, sometimes we go easy but regardless we cycle together at least once a week. It is a lot more fun with other people.

I would definitely leave the mp3 player at home, cycling is safer and more enjoyable when you are aware of all of the things that are going on around you.

Mike

2006-05-22 4:29 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
That sounds like a perfect ride. Just try to do two of those a week, and it'll be great fun. You'll have to continue getting creative as you learn your area, but you'll soon find you know the palce much better on a bicycle than all your friends who are stuck on cars!
2006-05-22 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Another suggestion (or ditto if I missed it in the replies above) is to use your bike for transportation for errands.  I just reminded myself of this when I was reading my logs from last year.  One day I wrote that I got home from work ready to workout.  Then I remembered that I needed to go to the farm equipment store to pick up some new mower blades.  That turned into a nice little 17 mile ride that accomplished both my workout and my errand.  Another time I rode to the store to pick up a gallon of milk.  That was a 15 mile ride.  (Of course it helps when you live out in the sticks and the VERY CLOSEST town is 6+ miles away.)
2006-05-22 9:27 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Lots of good advice above.  I'd suggest you start with frequency and then move towards volume.  Frequency would be rinding 3-4 times a week...even 5 times a week once in a while.  They don't need to be long rides, just get out there and spin the pedals.   Start with 4-5 rides of 30-45min and slowly build over several weeks.  I personally think that a lonfg ride should be a standard part of every triathlete's weekly training.  Long is different for every individual so don't get concerned with what others are doing.  If you current longest ride recently is 60min then add 10-15 min each week...and keep it at an easy pace.  These should be primarily Z1 with some time into Z2 for variety.  The goal is to go long and easy not to see how hard you can push for the entire time.  I can't say for sure without knowing your LT but I'm pretty confident that you are going WAY too hard on your rides from looking at your logs...HRmax = 172 yesterday.  The trick to racing faster is training smarter.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building base on the bike Rss Feed