San Diego Half Marathon at PETCO Park
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 32s
Overall Rank = 2097/5488
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 240/410
Pre-race routine:

Got there plenty early. Took care of business early, which was a good thing since their wasn't enough porta potties. Mostly milled around until race start.
Event warmup:

None really
Run
  • 2h 03m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good about this one. I started on a sour note, as my Garmin's battery was inexplicably dead in the a.m. But, that turned out to be a blessing of sorts. I came in a bit under-trained, and just looking for some confidence in advance of the California HIM, and I wasn't sure how I'd do. I started the race in wave 5, with the 2:10 pace guy a ways in front of me. I decided to just get past that guy and hold on as best as my fitness would allow. I did that pretty quick and then spent miles 2-3 chasing the 2:05 guy that I never found (I wonder if there was one). Doing that got me moderately tired at that stage, and I worried that I'd die down the stretch.

At about mile 3, I decided to entertain myself, sans Garmin, with "count the people I pass" game. +1 for each pass; -1 for each time passed; can't count people hurt or at a potty. Doing this took an unusual amount of mental energy. There were a lot of people to keep track of, and I spent 50% of my attention watching my peripheral vision to count. But, I've got to think that this game kept me working. I took a lot of satisfaction in getting bigger numbers. Probably gutting a couple spots out better than otherwise for fear I'd lose some numbers.

At about mile 10 or so, the downhill began. If I'd known it wouldn't have stopped, I would have pushed it more. I picked up some time there, but probably left a minute or so on the course holding back for a flat spot that never really came.

The finish was cool (epic, they kept telling me in the ads), with the finish line just short of home plate on the third base side of Petco. Crossed the line at a good sprint, with my number at +255. Good race.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe pushed more during the last couple miles. Otherwise, pretty happy with everything.
Post race
Warm down:

Milled around, got a banana, and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Early season lack of training.

Event comments:

Good race, good course, well run. Would do again.

Last updated: 2012-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:32 | 13.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 240/410
Overall: 410/5488
Performance: Good
Course: I very nice course starting outside of Petco, going out to the water, and looping back inland by Balboa park. After a mostly flat clip, deceivingly uphill in the mid to late miles, until markedly downhill the last couple miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes