General Discussion Race Reports! » Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
United States
Alpha Delta Pi
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 13s
Overall Rank = 105/365
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30am. Ate bowl of Oatmeal w/honey, Banana, 3 cups of coffee. Relaxed for an hour. Did about 20 minutes of stretching. Ran a low intensity mile to check out shoes and legs. Ate another bowl of oatmeal/honey about 6am. Drank a bottle of water. Got suited up and left. Arrived at 6:30am. Got checked in and set up my transition area. Ate a Gold Bar at 7am. Used rest room at 7:30am. Swam 4 laps in pool to get warmed up and check out goggles about 7:45am. Got in line to start race.
Event warmup:

1 mile easy run. 4 laps easy swim. Stretched at home.
Swim
  • 05m 47s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

A little disappointed in my swim time. I was swimming about 5 seconds a lap quicker in training. I passed 3 people and 1 passed me.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I'd like to start doing underwater turns. I really think this will help improve my overall time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Fairly happy with T1. I could have ran a little harder to my bike but was afraid of aggravating my left foot tendonitis. Had difficulty clipping in. Also, my gear was not set like I thought it was for a quick acceleration. I was also bummed about my lack luster swim performance. New helmet went on quick. Race belt did as well. New transition area set-up this year so I had to run further to my bike.

Definitely run harder. Ride my bike before the race starts to assure my gear is properly set.
Bike
  • 29m 1s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Had to navigate through traffic a little but not a major issue. Traffic control was horrible at Main Street and Rutherford Blvd. coming back in. I managed through it safely but others were going the wrong way which caused some risk. The course was smooth and fast. I passed many people. Very pleased with my performance. Time should get better with new TT bike.

Be more aggressive in dismounting and running in my bike shoes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Coming into T2, I was cut off by 2 people trying to get back by me. I think I pissed them off getting through the traffic nightmare and I passed them. Running in my bike shoes is average at best. Definitely need to get an end spot on the rack. Much easier to mount/dismount bike from rack. Had no trouble locating my area.

Might try clipping in shoes and inserting feet into shoes while on bike. this will take a lot of practice. Running is bike shoes is very slow. Taking off helmet, changing out shoes and putting on visor all went very well. Except for getting cut off, I was very pleased.
Run
  • 25m 53s
  • 2.88 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Basically I was too slow. I felt very good coming out of T2 and let my legs get underneath me a little before I picked up my speed. But my speed was not there as I thought it would be. My performance was less than good for me as I was A LOT quicker during brick training. I'm not sure what happened except that I pushed it too hard on the bike. I was really struggling at the end of the run. Disappointed to say the least.

I need to train outside for my bricks as much as possible. The weather may have had an impact on me. I took a water bottle on the run this year. Need to practice without one if possible.
Post race
Warm down:

None.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inadequate training. Need to be outside. Need to get mentally focused more before the race and not talk as much.

Event comments:

Overall I was very pleased with my performance. I was quicker by 3 minutes from last year but part of this is simply a shorter run course. This race is becoming very popular and they will most likely have to change the course and cap the number of participants. Had a few professional racers this year which was pretty cool. If I could just get my running better, my overall place will drastically improve. Thank you God for giving me strength, speed and safety! All Glory to Him!

Last updated: 2011-11-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:47 | 328 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 127/365
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snake swim. 6 laps.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:29:01 | 10 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Overall: 54/365
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out 5 miles and back in 5 miles. A few turns but mostly straight and rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:53 | 02.88 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 205/365
Performance: Below average
Course: Shorter course than usual due to construction. Very flat and easy. A few sharp turns and one 180 degree turn back. Overall good.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-03 9:33 AM

User image

Murfreesboro
Subject: Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alpha Delta Pi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge Rss Feed