General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 4h 50m 1s
Overall Rank = 183/2400
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/219
Pre-race routine:

After several sub-par 70.3's I decided to take a slightly different approach to my pre-race nutrition. I noticed in training I did much better with a BIG breakfast about an hour before training. Since my wave didn't go off until 8:10 I got up at 4:30 and went for a big breakfast at Waffle House. I had plenty of time to let it digest and I think this really helped top off the tank before the race. Depending on start time for next 70.3 or IM I will take the same approach if I can.

Other than this change, all was the same. Got to Galveston the day before the race, checked in, dropped of bike, and relaxed the rest of the evening.
Event warmup:

Not allowed to pre-race swim so didn't do much. I was wearing my new 910XT for the first time and I can't figure out how it can just show the time of day. So as I was waiting for my wave, thinking I had a lot of time I noticed my colored swim caps on the dock. I had to speed it up and get on the dock. I had plenty of time but I was surprised to see them getting ready.
Swim
  • 31m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a bad swim and not a great swim. Water was calm and a perfect temperature for wetsuit. I did have to swim around, and unfortunately, overtop of some of the people in the waves before us.

Funny thing is only 2 people that finished ahead of me in my age group had a faster swim. My swim has come a long way and I think I can get even faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Good transition. Leveraged the strippers and ran through the shower. Put on race number, sunglasses, and helmet. Grabbed a bar and my salt tablets and I was out. Had some trouble getting my right foot into my shoe while on the bike but I'm happy with this transition.
Bike
  • 2h 34m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.75 mile/hr
Comments:

The good news is I executed the bike exactly like I wanted too. The bad news is I executed on the bike exactly like I wanted too. I knew I didn't have the bike fitness I wanted to, so the plan was to go easy on the bike. Problem is I left waaaay too much on the bike course. I could've pushed harder and saved 3-4 minutes. I swallowed my pride BIG time when 5 people in my age group passed me on the bike. I sooo badly wanted to pick up the pace but I just didn't know what my bike fitness would allow me to do on the run.

I also drastically changed my hydration plan for this race. In talking with some of the pro's on the Jack and Adams team they said they'll take anyware from 1200-1500mg of sodium per hour on the bike. I tried this a couple times in training and it seamed to work well. It turns out I took ~1500mg of sodium per hour and for the 1st race of ANY distance in the last 4 years I didn't have to struggle with leg cramps on the run. Sure, I know 1 coach that is going to say that the reason I didn't cramp on the run was because I went easier on the bike. I know my bike fitness wasn't great but I really do feel that with the added sodium and water intake I now know I can push the bike harder. It's still a fine line but I know if I get in better bike shape the additional sodium will have a huge impact.

What would you do differently?:

This was literally a leisurelly Sunday ride and I wish I had gone harder. But, with my lack of bike fitness it was better to err on the side of conservatism. Next race I'll hit the bike harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Rack bike, put on socks, shoes, and hat and off. Typical T2.
Run
  • 1h 39m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

For the first time in 4 years, no leg cramps. I started feeling great and had to slow myself down. I passed one of the women pro's from the J&A team while on her 3rd lap and she was hurting. I slapped her on the butt and told her to get moving. As I got 25 yards ahead of her I stopped and turned around to ask her if she need salt tablets or anything just to help her get moving. She said she was good and I went back on my way.

I was taking in water and salt tablets as much as I could. I LOVE that they have GU on course because I could just grab a GU with water and suck it down when I needed calories. The biggest problem with the aid stations was there were just so many people that you had to stop to and work around people to get anything from the station.

I was feeling fine until 2.5 miles to go where my pace really started to slow. It was hot and humid. In fact, I'd say it was hotter and more humid than Kona. I tried to take in more fluids but I had run out of salt tablets and I was having a hard time absorbing fluids. I got a bad side stitch and it slowed me down quite a bit.

My Garmin had messed up earlier so I thought I had different a different split from my bike. I thought coming in on the last couple miles I would be in at 4:48. Since my 1st goal was really just to be sub-5 but I really wanted to be in the 4:40's I figured I could coast in and still be happy with a 4:48. I was a little surprised to see the final results at 4:50 but I guess I'll know to go the entire run.
What would you do differently?:

Well, had I not stopped and offered help to my teammate I guess I would have at least come in at 4:49. I have no problem with stopping and can live with my time knowing I helped one of the pro's finish stronger. She actually sent me an e-mail afterwards thanking me for the encouragement and the offer to help.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots and lots of coke. I really sucked them down as I wanted the calories and caffeine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just haven't had the bike miles I would have liked. This was a very early season test and a good start to the season. I'll look to Kansas 70.3 or Buffalo Springs 70.3 to really fine tune the race strategy and increase bike mileage now that Saturday's are free.

Last updated: 2012-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/219
Overall: 261/2400
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:34:29 | 56 miles | 21.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/219
Overall: 0/2400
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:39:33 | 13.1 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/219
Overall: 0/2400
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-04-03 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2012-04-03 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4127979

User image

DFW, Tejas
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Sorry you didn't beat 4:50 but you should be proud of a damn fast time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed