BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-04-03 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Love to keep going now!

NAME: Stephanie STORY: I love to swim and cycle, I was just not a runner...until 2 years ago. I started runnning. It was slow and I had the requisite injuries, but eventually... I did my first Tri last 4th of July... WOW, I loved it. No more fear! I've also done 4 half marathons. Tri is magical, particularly the swimming. If you haven't been in the pool in many years (I had not) it's a great feeling. Just signed up for my 2nd and 3rd triathlons this summer. If I can do this, you surely can. No weight issues, or lack of exercise should hold you back. You really CAN do this!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a serial marathoner. What choice did I have but to start running at 46 years of age?

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm still a sprinter although my 3rd tri in November will be an International Distance. 5 days a week is how I train.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I completed the Big 3 and Florida 4 half marathons over the winter. I'm still slow, but I get it done! 2012

RACES: 4th of July Triathlon - Sprint, Miami Man November 11th, International distance.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 10lbs and have another 20 to go.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'll be on several times a week. I like nothing more than to see people do well. All the stuff that intimidates you will just fall away as you reach your goals. Doesn't matter if you aren't a swimmer, you can learn...not a runner like me? you can learn that too. Rewarding is what this is. You'll love it. AND you'll do a lot of races for a lot of good causes which is mightily fullfilling.

Edited by stephsprint 2012-04-11 7:45 AM

2012-04-04 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4128264

New user

Montana
Subject: RE: Let's do this thing! StephSprint group OPEN!

I would love to join your mentor group. 

I am registered for my first sprint tri this spring.  I am finally taking some swim lessons starting this afternoon so I can learn the breathing.  I trained pretty heavily for 2 months but due to traveling have not trained this past month-today I get back in the saddle!

I have finished 3 half marathons, 1 walking and 2 walk/run.  I would love to be able to run the entire distance this year.  I am 50 years old.

I look forward to participating in your group!

TraceyD

2012-04-04 10:39 PM

Veteran

I would love to join your group!

Name:  Threejs/Ellen

I will keep it short and sweet…Just turned 50 a few months ago.  Took a good long look in the mirror and decided it is time for a change.  Signed up for a tri last year and turned it into a family reunion instead - did our own swim/bike/run which was great!  (Probably too much alcohol consumed to actually be considered a tri but a great time was had by all)

Family Status:  Married.  3 teenagers,  2 dogs and a hamster.

Current training:  Officially started working out about a month ago. Core work at the gym and just started a walk/run program.  Have a bike - tuned up like new and have access to a pool - so no more excuses!

Races:  Took part in my son's 5k in February 2012.  Planning to register for SheRox Sprint Tri in October.

Weightloss:  Just want my clothes to fit again. (And to burn my mom jeans and all the pictures I am wearing them in)

What will make me a good mentee:  This time - no excuses!  I promise promise promise to log in my workouts!  Looking for accountability and lots of fun…

2012-04-05 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4129247

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
TD1961 - 2012-04-04 10:07 AM

I would love to join your mentor group. 

I am registered for my first sprint tri this spring.  I am finally taking some swim lessons starting this afternoon so I can learn the breathing.  I trained pretty heavily for 2 months but due to traveling have not trained this past month-today I get back in the saddle!

I have finished 3 half marathons, 1 walking and 2 walk/run.  I would love to be able to run the entire distance this year.  I am 50 years old.

I look forward to participating in your group!

TraceyD

Welcome!! Breathing is the most important part of swimming. Being 'comfortable' in the water. I think doing backwards sommersaults while blowing water out the nose is the best water workout. Not kidding.

AND I started walk/run. Glad I did. I know sub 3 hour marathoners who do it that way. www.jeffgalloway.com. The man is king.

I love your attitude and WELCOME again!!
2012-04-05 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4131127

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Threejs - 2012-04-04 11:39 PM

I will keep it short and sweet…Just turned 50 a few months ago.  Took a good long look in the mirror and decided it is time for a change.  Signed up for a tri last year and turned it into a family reunion instead - did our own swim/bike/run which was great!  (Probably too much alcohol consumed to actually be considered a tri but a great time was had by all)

Current training:  Officially started working out about a month ago. Core work at the gym and just started a walk/run program.  Have a bike - tuned up like new and have access to a pool - so no more excuses!

Races:  Took part in my son's 5k in February 2012.  Planning to register for SheRox Sprint Tri in October.

Weightloss:  Just want my clothes to fit again. (And to burn my mom jeans and all the pictures I am wearing them in)

What will make me a good mentee:  This time - no excuses!  I promise promise promise to log in my workouts!  Looking for accountability and lots of fun…

Hey Ellen!! Welcome! sounds like you have a house full! Hey a tri is a tri... maybe beer would help me.... hmmmm

The 5k sounds cool, love to hear more about that. Stay away from the mirror until about.... November. Ok... log. I will add you as friend and keep track. Sounds like we have a lot in common that way!!

Glad to have you in my group!!
2012-04-05 8:34 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

Hi Steph, thanks for all help in your winter group.  I loved the group!  Im hooked, would like to join your spring group if you will have me.

Okey

2012-04-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4133163

Veteran
stephsprint - 2012-04-05 5:33 PM

Hey Ellen!! Welcome! sounds like you have a house full! Hey a tri is a tri... maybe beer would help me.... hmmmm The 5k sounds cool, love to hear more about that. Stay away from the mirror until about.... November. Ok... log. I will add you as friend and keep track. Sounds like we have a lot in common that way!! Glad to have you in my group!!

Thanks! Got my run/walk logged in   So in February, my son set up a 5K along the beach with 3 of his friends, theme was Teen Driving Safety.  Had several speakers including the Sheriff's department, a man who was hit by a drunk driver and is now 33 talked about his life and how it was changed forever, also had MADD out there among several others.  It was definitely a proud parent moment to watch these 4 high school students pull this together - had to get City Permits, the whole ball of wax.  It was so awesome.  So they had planned to do it once, but the Sheriff's department was so excited about it that they asked my son and his friends to make it an annual event.  Since he and his friends are runners, the race drew teenagers from high schools all over the area. 

They netted over $2500 the first year (2011) that was donated to Teen Driving Safety organizations and over $3000 this year that was also donated. He will be a senior next year so it will be his last hurrah. It is so much work for them but so rewarding!  So if you are in Southern Cal in February 2013, I know of a great beach run for you......Laughing

2012-04-05 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Sup Steph!
2012-04-06 12:23 AM

New user

Greenacres, WA

Stephanie - I just signed up for my first Sprint Triathlon to take place in August and need all the encouragement I can get since this is the first time I have ever tried anything like this.  I am 54 years old and have worked out all my life but the last few years have not been as consistent.  I loathe running but have no problem with the swimming and biking.  I am meeting with a trainer at the gym I belong to tomorrow to give me some pointers on how to start to "love" running.  The walk/run schedule on this website looks doable.  Any words of advice on how to get past the mental hatred of running???

Thanks.

2012-04-06 6:31 AM

New user

Australia

Hi Steph

I would like to join your group - is there a routine for this? I am in Aus and have managed a few mini tris with some good places However I have yet to do sprint distance... so that is on my list to do!

I have two kids and work is varied so would love some support to keep me going through winter (yeh you are in spring!)... HELP! I am also working on being consistent - but a lot of the training I do has to be by myself due to work and family!

Cheers

Michelle

2012-04-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4133553

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Spryzing - 2012-04-06 7:31 AM

Hi Steph

I would like to join your group - is there a routine for this? I am in Aus and have managed a few mini tris with some good places However I have yet to do sprint distance... so that is on my list to do!

I have two kids and work is varied so would love some support to keep me going through winter (yeh you are in spring!)... HELP! I am also working on being consistent - but a lot of the training I do has to be by myself due to work and family!

Cheers

Michelle

The forum is casual, keep us up on what you are doing and we will encourage you with any tips or hints we may have. Please sign up for training programs on here! They are really good and will help keep you on track. Also, you will be able to log your progress.

Cheers!

2012-04-06 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4133459

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Bschuman - 2012-04-06 1:23 AM

Stephanie - I just signed up for my first Sprint Triathlon to take place in August and need all the encouragement I can get since this is the first time I have ever tried anything like this.  I am 54 years old and have worked out all my life but the last few years have not been as consistent.  I loathe running but have no problem with the swimming and biking.  I am meeting with a trainer at the gym I belong to tomorrow to give me some pointers on how to start to "love" running.  The walk/run schedule on this website looks doable.  Any words of advice on how to get past the mental hatred of running???

Thanks.

Sounds REALLY familiar! The run walk program on here is good. I disagree, generally, with how often a person needs to run. I think 3 times a week is sufficient (As do the people at FIRST, Furman Institute) www.furman.edu/first. Another great source is www.jeffgalloway.com...the king of the run/walk world. I'm also a Chi-Runner. You can youtube chirunning... if I didn't learn to run mid-foot with a lean, I wouldn't be able to run at all.

After 2 years, starting really slowly... I can say I enjoy it, usually. So I 'get you' on this one!! I'll be 48 in a couple of weeks. Do not overdo, or you will hurt yourself.

Keep us posted!!!

Edited by stephsprint 2012-04-06 11:31 AM
2012-04-06 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4133283

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2012-04-05 9:46 PM

Sup Steph!

Dude.
2012-04-06 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4133273

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Threejs - 2012-04-05 9:40 PM

stephsprint - 2012-04-05 5:33 PM

Hey Ellen!! Welcome! sounds like you have a house full! Hey a tri is a tri... maybe beer would help me.... hmmmm The 5k sounds cool, love to hear more about that. Stay away from the mirror until about.... November. Ok... log. I will add you as friend and keep track. Sounds like we have a lot in common that way!! Glad to have you in my group!!

Thanks! Got my run/walk logged in   So in February, my son set up a 5K along the beach with 3 of his friends, theme was Teen Driving Safety.  Had several speakers including the Sheriff's department, a man who was hit by a drunk driver and is now 33 talked about his life and how it was changed forever, also had MADD out there among several others.  It was definitely a proud parent moment to watch these 4 high school students pull this together - had to get City Permits, the whole ball of wax.  It was so awesome.  So they had planned to do it once, but the Sheriff's department was so excited about it that they asked my son and his friends to make it an annual event.  Since he and his friends are runners, the race drew teenagers from high schools all over the area. 

They netted over $2500 the first year (2011) that was donated to Teen Driving Safety organizations and over $3000 this year that was also donated. He will be a senior next year so it will be his last hurrah. It is so much work for them but so rewarding!  So if you are in Southern Cal in February 2013, I know of a great beach run for you......Laughing

WOW, your son and friends are INCREDIBLE!! Races are a huge undertaking! My first 5k this year is a MADD dash!
2012-04-06 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4133264

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
oak73 - 2012-04-05 9:34 PM

Hi Steph, thanks for all help in your winter group.  I loved the group!  Im hooked, would like to join your spring group if you will have me.

Okey

Oh thank goodness! I want to keep track of your progress!

Welcome AGAIN!
2012-04-06 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ADD EACH OF US AS A ‘FRIEND’ SO WE CAN SEND EACH OTHER 'INSPIRES' AND READ EACH OTHERS LOGS

At the top of your screen there is a wrench ‘settings’ click that and then..,

Click TRAINING BLOG CUSTOMIZATION

Then FRIENDS…. Here add everyone in the group as your friend … remember to UPDATE FRIENDS at the bottom. VOILA!

STEPHSPRINT
TD1961
THREEJS
OTISBROWN
OAK73
SPRYZING
BSCHUMAN

I'll remind you again as more people join!

2012-04-07 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ready to start training? When is your next or first Triathlon?

Which of the 3 sports is your biggest concern?
2012-04-07 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4135313

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

stephsprint - 2012-04-07 7:54 AM Ready to start training? When is your next or first Triathlon? Which of the 3 sports is your biggest concern?

My first 5k is April 28th...my first sprint tri is August 8th.  Im nervous about the 5k...with my foot hurting and still smoking not sure how great I am going to do.  My original goal was to finish under an hour...still hoping for that to happen, but I wont let it get me down if it doesnt...just finishing my first event will be a great accoplishment.

2012-04-07 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

I want to join!!

I'm Shana, a 35 year old single mom who is going on my second year of triathlons. I'm scheduled to race 2 sprint tris RocketChix I which is next Sunday and a super short sprint on the 28th of this month and I'm constantly adding to the list.

Last year I did RocketChix Women's Triathlon and University of Louisiana tri, both sprints. I've also done 2 5ks and 1 10K.

I'm at my ideal weight right now and I'm maintaining at 140lbs at a height of 5'8. Right now I'm battling IT band issues and I go to physical therapy. Thankfully I have it mostly under control but something tells me I will never be able to do long distance runs.

2012-04-07 11:17 AM

User image

Colorado

I'd love to join your group if it's still open!

About me: I'm almost 32, a mom of two kids (ages 1 and 3) and having two kids in less than two years did a number on me! I decided to sign up for a sprint tri this summer to get into shape, but in the last two months, I've fallen in love with training! I'm down about 42 lbs from my highest weight while pregnant with my 2nd kiddo (and 10lbs since beginning training), and have about 20lbs to go to be at my goal.

The last two months I just got back into r/s and I took up biking (which has never been my thing, and now I absolutely LOVE it). This month I started one of the BT 16 week training plans (the bike heavy one) and I do strength training twice a week.

I'm doing the Iron Girl sprint tri at the end of July and would love some support along the way!

2012-04-07 2:25 PM

User image

New user

I would love to join if still open!!

I have a similar story! I'm Deborah - 49 - 5ft - 128lbs. Never, ever ran before. 

STORY: Just completed my first 5k run last weekend and am sooo happy. Will be doing my first tri on my 50th birthday in July. Love to swim and bike, getting better at liking running. I have always been active: I sail monohulls and dinghies, and I love to skate, but I'm also into enjoying life a bit too much. As an on-again, off-again smoker for many years, I finally became an official non-smoker 15 months ago. 

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to my life manager who was a runner, but double hip replacements have moved him to him being my trainer, cheerleader, supporter. I am very , very lucky!

CURRENT TRAINING: I train 6 days a week using the beginner to couch program, and looking to transition to beginner sprint program. I am very competitive so I'm not looking just to finish.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Wildflower 5k 4/1; Benicia 5k 4/15; East Bay Mermaid 5k 5/12; SFPride 5k 6/23; California Sprint Tri, Pleasanton 7/28; Thinking about an October sprint triathlon as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 10 lbs. but the weight loss is an artifact of the goal (competitively finish in a triathlon!).

Thanks!

2012-04-07 2:38 PM

User image

South East England
Still open? Can you add me?I'm 48, British, a Mum to big kids, madly in love the second time around (4 yrs now!) and work full time.I've signed up to do a sprint Tri with a sea swim in August this year and I'll be competing with my lovely 23 yr old daughter. It will be my second Tri, I did a super sprint in London in 2008.I've run lots, 10ks, half marathons and one marathon.I love biking but had a serious tumble last year and I'm only just back to exercise and I'll have to careful and follow my physio's advice if I'm to be fit for the race.I'm a novice swimmer, I swam my super sprint in open water - the Albert Dock, Thames River using breast stroke. This time I want to swim crawl.I'd love to join you.Lisa
2012-04-07 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4134127

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

stephsprint - 2012-04-06 12:32 PM
otisbrown - 2012-04-05 9:46 PM Sup Steph!
Dude.

What's my tattoo say!

Hey Everybody.. Here is my bio.

NAME: Marcus - otisbrown Medford Lakes, NJ

STORY: 37 yrs old and relatively new to this sport. I began traing for my first triathlon last year, but the event was canceled due to a little storm. Before that I started running about two years ago to try and get myself healthier and in better physical shape. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A couple of 5Ks and an aqua run. The aqua run was a good learning experience for me. It didn't go as I was hoping but certainly tested out my swimming abilities and i learned a lot about swimming in race; like make like the turtle not the rabbit. 

2012 RACES:

Eastampton 5k May 19, 2012

Medford Lakes Memorial Run May 28, 2012

Marlton Lakes Aqua Run July 11, 2012

NJ State Triathlon July 21, 2012

Medford Lakes Triathlon August 26, 2012

Medford Lakes Turkey Trot November 22, 2012

2012-04-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4135313

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

stephsprint - 2012-04-07 8:54 AM Ready to start training? When is your next or first Triathlon? Which of the 3 sports is your biggest concern?

My first Tri isn't until the middle end of July.   For me the biggest concern is swimming. Between the lack of gills and swimming in the midst of chaos with out the ability to see more than a couple of feet is a lot to take in.  I have come a long way since I started swimming regularly, and I know it will get easier the more I keep at it. 

2012-04-08 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4134109

New user

Australia

Thanks Steph

I will be looking at joining as a member - probably silver (has very detailed training schedules)~ but is it the same for Gold?

So how does this work - I just check in and ask incessant q's? hope all is well for you over Easter! Cheers

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45