General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planned long training ride... Wasted Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-21 7:35 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Planned long training ride... Wasted
Today was an absolute disaster. I got two flats, yep, two!! I planned on riding 27 miles, but without another spare tube, I had to call my wife to come get me only 9.8 miles into the ride.

I am so disgusted right now. I am beginning to think that buying the used road bike was a bad idea. I just don't feel all that comfortable on it. The seat is too high (at its lowest), my hips rock back and forth, the transmission is a disaster and the bike weighs a ton. I think I probably should have saved a few hundred more dollars and purchased an entry level road bike.

I guess that's what I get for taking the cheap route. I didn't take the cheap route with my mountain bike (I broke the bank on that one, got fitted and purchased it from a trusted LBS) and it is one of the best investments I have made, I should have learned my lesson.

I think I am just going to put some road slicks for the MT bike, turn off the shocks and train and race my on-road tris this summer on that, like I did for my 1st century ride this past fall. I don't think I am that much faster on the road bike anyway. At least I'll be comfortable and the bike will be better.

2006-05-21 7:40 PM
in reply to: #429612

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Planned long training ride... Wasted
Sorry to hear that your day did not go as planned.

The flats were not because of the fact that you bought a used bike. Flats happen to new and used bikes.

Now, if the bike is uncomfortable and does not fit you... that's another issue.

Maybe you can sell the used one and try to get a new bike fit more for you? And, if you still need more cash, start thinking about stuff you have around the house that you might be able to sell on eBay.

Where there is a will... there is a way.

I got my bike after cleaning a friends house on the side (I also have a professional 40-hour a week job).

2006-05-21 9:21 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I've got a new Trek 2300 road bike converted to a tri bike and I had 2 flats before my duathlon this morning....both within 5 minutes of each other......in the friggin' parking lot!!...before I even got in the saddle!!!....just goes to show that "flats happen !!" Hang in there.

After this happened I thought my race was jinxed. Got second in my AG, 30th overall, and at the raffle afterwards I won a tri gear bag loaded with stuff (Shimano race shoes, new helmet, $200 Speedo tri suit, wireless bike computer, Heed energy supplies, and other stuff....$850 total value). And...one of the other guys that I drove down to the race with won the same gear bag and equipment.
2006-05-21 9:42 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

I ride a fairly new shiny red tribike, brand new wheels, trispoke front, disc rear. First race on the new wheels last weekend, and guess what? Two muthahumping flats, only one spare, one CO2, one freaking DNF; $35 and three hours of driving for a 5K.

Flats happen to the best of us, has nothing to do with the bike. Suck it up and get back out there.

2006-05-21 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
I know this might sound like a dumb question, but when the seat is at it's lowest, do you still have space showing on the seat post? I ask this because just yesterday I was trying to lower the seat on my tandem bike for my child and the seat wouldn't go down any further even though with a shorter seat post, it would go down. We just swtiched the seat post with another bike and it worked fine.

I understand about the frustration of getting a used bike tho...Donmck bought an old cannondale off ebay last year and the crazy thing broke in the middle of the race!

Kelly
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planned long training ride... Wasted Rss Feed