United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 67m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stay well hyrdated, particularly the two days prior. No coffee morning of race day. Oatmeal, protein powder and yogurt for breakfast, banana a 1/2 hour before the race.
Event warmup:

Stretching
Run
  • 67m
  • 7.46 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt this was a good race for me. The longest distance I've run this year, probably the longest distance I've run since doing this race in 2002. As expected, the crowd slowed things down starting out. People throw tortillas during this race - not sure why - and for the first mile or so the road is slick with them. Not well marshalled, but this year I expected that so wasn't so irritated with the walkers in the running routes, etc. Very humid at the start, unusual for San Francisco. Reminded me of running track at high school in South Carolina. The overcast day helped keep things at a welcome cool temp. Would have needed more drink stations on a warm day.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get closer to the front of the pack when starting out, earlier arrival time. A bit more distance training the couple months before would have helped me during the last mile and a half when I started feeling tired.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't train specifically for running.

Event comments:

This race is as much social as sports oriented and participants need to be prepared for a lot of their co-runners to be there more for the party than the run. I saw only one Elvis impersonator but about 10 naked runners, one of them a woman. The costume runners were started after the rest of us, so didn't see too many of them. Big festival after the race. We grabbed some food, which we had to pay for disappointingly, and then hauled. The music wasn't due to start for 3 hours after we finished - which is when the course closes and all the runners are at the festival and we didn't want to wait. Race advertisers say about 60,000 people registered this year. I was the 1,964th finisher so it would have been a long wait for the rest. Official time was 1:09:55 but it took over 3 minutes to reach the Start so I think my time of 67 minutes is pretty accurate.

Last updated: 2006-05-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:67:00 | 07.46 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Howard & Main to 9th to Hayes and through Golden Gate Park to Ocean Beach, including the infamous Hayes Hill mile 2-3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-21 7:35 PM

Veteran
San Mateo, California
Subject: Bay to Breakers

2006-05-21 7:49 PM
in reply to: #429613

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Bay to Breakers
Congrats a a nice race! I've always wanted to do this one; Didn't realize the fieled was so large.
2006-05-21 7:52 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Great performance!
2006-05-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: #429635

Veteran
San Mateo, California
Thanks.  Fun race, but a big pack.  I'm used to starts in waves when the field is so big, but this was just one, giant READY, SET, GO!

Edited by coloradoclimber 2006-05-22 5:12 PM
2006-05-22 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Dios Mio! that's a lot of runners.  I've heard this was a wild run, but had no idea!  Glad you were ahead of the other 58,000 "racers".
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bay to Breakers Rss Feed