Semper Fit
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m
Overall Rank = 126/195
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

couldn`t sleep, way to excited and nervous. So, got up at 5am and had a banana and gaterade, swallowed my vitamins and had an extra vitamin B drink.
Got to the event at 6am, so glad I did cause I had plenty of time to set up. I asked around to find out where the transition entry`s and exits were. Finally I got a clear answer and found out that the bike entry and exit were the same, so knowing this I set up everything on a rack as close to that exit as possible.
Event warmup:

I put on my running shoes and walked over to the water start to check out how rocky or slipery...or how the entrance and exit into the water would be. I then took myself for a 10 min jog, used the porta potties, stretched, went to my car and drank more gaterade. Then I went back to my setup and realized that the elites had all put their bikes around mine. One guy who I just knew would probably win today (and he did)was right next to me setting up. I said " OMG, I`m so excited you have put yourself next to me". He laughed and actually commented on liking my bike. We had a couple of giggles and then he took off for a bike warmup (I saved his spot, good on me). So, now the adrenaline was really pumping and I got even more excited. I took off my shoes and got them setup, walked back to the water start and got into the water...man it was slipery and lots of rocks and you couldn`t see the sand bags holding down the plastic cover.Then I ran the transition from water to bike to check out my possiton and make sure I knew exactly where my bike was. Met up with my spunky hubby and kiddies and got good luck hugs and kisses.
Swim
  • 11m 1s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Be more carefull getting out, I have cuts on bottom of feet and toes from the rocks.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get clearer goggles, practise OW swimming and learn to swim over people like they did to me....thats just mindless, how do you teach someone to do that?
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

had a good transition, and I just realized why, because I had all this space to move around because all the elites had come and gone before I got there.

I want to and need to learn the rubber band technique so I can put my shoes on while riding.
Bike
  • 37m 22s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a good ride, and very proud of my feet out of shoes while riding. This went real smooth, I had practised this alot in the past few weeks and it payed off today. The headwinds were howling on the way out, and on the second lap I was kind of drafting behind a girl I know is very fast. I stayed right behind her on the hardest part of the course and as soon as I knew the headwind was hiding for a moment I dropped back and she took off.

Not much, just ride more and try to get stronger and faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

went smooth. I wore socks today because of the plantar wart thingy. But it went quick and I was running in no time.

nothing I don`t think, except it just gets clearer to me that my running is my weakest link. I`m working on it, but it just doesn`t seem to get any easier.
Run
  • 29m 15s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

the first mile was hard, second mile harder but it got easier from there.

I don`t know, I think I did everything I could. Although, I have to get over my body trying to tell me to stop. It`s a real mind game to keep yourself going when your body wants to slow down or give up.
Post race
Warm down:

walked, walked and walked....drank drank and drank lots of cold water and gaterade. Talked and talked and talked.. hugged and kissed my kiddies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor sighting on the swim ( need clearer goggles that arnt all scratched) and swim more OW ocean.
Some bitch who tried to hurt me in the water, what an idiot she was.
stiff legs off the bike

Event comments:

Once again the Marine Corps shows it`s true colors. First class race with a billion volunteers.
Was happy with my race, extremely surprized to win a medal and get on the podium. A proud moment in my life and one I can only dream of repeating.
I cried all the way home in the car, so proud of myself for doing this. I have my family to thank and my friends from BT and Mike from D3 for getting me to this level so quick.
I love this sport, it is just amazing, and I am so proud to be apart of such a special bunch of people (triathletes).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:01 | 500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Below average
O no, Mike`ll have a field day with this one. I so screwed up. The first 100meters went great and actually I experianced for the first time being swum over, kicked, pushed, jabbed..but it just made me mad and swim harder. Then as I turned towardes the next bouy the sun just plelted me in the eyes and I couldn`t see crap. It was like I was swimming all alone cause I couldn`t see anything or anyone. I actually stopped to see if I was last, but I could see people behind me...so kept going. I was sighting about every 6 strokes towards what I thought was a big orange bouy, but as I got up about 4 feet away I realized it was the lifeguard on his surfboard yelling and pointing that I needed to change my direction. Crap! But, I managed to get on track and see the next bouy and make it back to the shore. I was mad knowing I did about 600meters instead of 500. Then I tripped over a sandbag trying to get up onto shore.
Suit:
Course: triangle. a little wavy on the cross
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:22 | 11.1 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 2 laps, fairly flat but the wind was really strong, 30mile an hour winds were howling down the road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:15 | 03.5 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: first mile flat, then the next mile UP HILL. It was a tough one getting up there. I think I did pretty good. Hardest part was seeing all the winners finishing as I was just starting and then the rest of the winners all coming down the hill when I was struggling to get up it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-21 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: 2006 Mag24

2006-05-21 7:59 PM
in reply to: #429623

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: 2006 Mag24

A place on the podium, you are one very clever girl!!

Well done and congrats!!

2006-05-22 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
2006-05-22 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Dee,

Congratulations on a great race.  Getting to stand on the podium must have been pretty cool.  Too bad about the sighting on the swim but it sounds like you did really well on the bike.  You're going to have a great summer of races.

Ernie

2006-05-23 12:56 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
What a great day! Congrats and keep up the great work. Running 8:22 is pretty goash darn good! Keep working on the running! You'll get there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 Mag24 Rss Feed