General Discussion Race Reports! » TriSports.com Desert Classic Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriSports.com Desert Classic Duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
DCB Extreme Adventures
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 38s
Overall Rank = 90/227
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/36
Pre-race routine:

Had a good night's sleep (getting better at sleeping the night before a race), and woke up at my "normal" wake-up time of 3:15a. Gathered my gear and loaded my bike, then had a typical race day breakfast of a Clif Bar, G2 and 5hr energy. Woke up Kym and Devyn and left our other two kids sleeping, and we headed out for the race.
Event warmup:

Set up transition and picked a great spot, stretched a little and met up with people I knew. Walked to the start and ran about .5 mi to warm up the legs.
Run
  • 27m 23s
  • 3.75 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Held a good early pace for this race. I am not a normal trail runner, so my stride and foot placement was important. Running sub 7.5 min miles was good, but my HR was a little higher than I would have liked to see it. Kept up with a group that was running at a good pace, and just planned on saving some energy for the bike and second run.
What would you do differently?:

I would not want to slow down, as my legs felt fine, but somehow manage to keep my HR down just a bit.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Transitions are much easier when you do not have to towel off, remove a wetsuit, or deal with a swim! I suppose one (1) minute is a decent time for T1, all things considered.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 32m
  • 30 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great ride for me. I held a faster pace than I had planned or expected, which led to a higher than expected HR as well. However, I kept good cadence throughout, and powered through some of the hills and uphill grades to pass a number of people. Of course, I was passed a good amount as well, and 'chicked' fairly often, so I cannot brag too much.

Just keep working on the bike training - the more I train, the better I am getting.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Apparently my timing chip messed up, as no T2 was registered (my bike time shows way off the mark as well). So my time above is from my GPS watch. Oh well, that happens I suppose. It could be due to the fact that I crumpled up my race bib to keep it flexible, and the timing chip was part of the bib (oops). I had a good T2, and did not spend too much time in transition, so this was probably fairly quick. I was able to get out on the second run quickly and was moving at a good pace.

Nothing.
Run
  • 36m 15s
  • 3.65 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I started to tire on this run, but knew it was less than 4 miles total, so I pushed as hard as I could. I walked a portion of the 20% uphill grade, but started running at the top and ran the rest of the way. I lost about 15-30 seconds when I went off course late, but corrected and back tracked to make sure I was course compliant (did not matter, I am not challenging for the podium - but it makes me feel better).

A bit more endurance I suppose. I should not tire on these runs, but it is what it is, and I held an ok pace, so no complaints.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Pilon and the ONE Multisport team and watched some of the finishers after me. I had always planned to ride my bike home (30 miles), so that completed a long training day in preparation for the upcoming Ironman 70.3 Oceanside race. This was a fun day around some great people, and I had a blast at the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Better trail running would help just a bit, and as always, more skill with the bike portion.

Event comments:

DCB puts on good events, and this one was no different.

Last updated: 2012-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:23 | 03.75 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/227
Performance: Good
9.75 min in LT HR zone (145-169BPM) 17.75 min in AeC HR zone (170-185BPM)
Course: Uphill start along the road, then off road for about 3 miles on the trails. Loop course back to transition
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:32:00 | 30 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Performance: Good
1 min in Temp HR zone (112-144BPM) 1:32.5 in LT HR zone (145-169BPM) 3 min in AeC HR zone (170-185BPM)
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Course went out along McDowell Mtn Rd between Rio Verde and Ftn Hills, then into McDowell Mtn park and through the park roads back to transition. Some good uphill grades and downhill speed zones.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:15 | 03.65 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Average
16.5 min in LT HR zone (145-169BPM) 18 min in AeC HR zone (170-185BPM)
Course: Trail running with a 20% uphill grade at the latter end of the course. Whew!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-04 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: TriSports.com Desert Classic Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriSports.com Desert Classic Duathlon Rss Feed