Firm Racing
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 48s
Overall Rank = 155/222
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Last year finished 1:30:56, guess for this year 1:17-1:19, oops...I did amazing and came in at 1:14:48 wicked fast for me:)

Race Performance Goal:
I will try to push myself speed up through each section and throughout the race. Accept I’m doing the best I can do that day. Get back in the rhythm of triathlons and transitions. Know I’m racing against myself and my placement doesn’t matter…or try to think that…practice that thought!

Ate breakfast of one egg, canadian bacon, wheat berry bread w/PB, had a cup of diet Pepsi. We left at 6:20 drove to Marlboro and used tried and excellant method of avoid bathroom lines by stopping someplace just outside the triathlon...here it was a Dunkin Donuts. My stomach was acting up and I was worried about it...my husband thought I ate to much fiber yesterday and he may have been right. Parked, pumped up my tires, walked over to check in, Emily and Brian came along and jumped right in as body markers. I let Emily mark me with number 150...what fun to have your 11 year old triathlete daughter mark me plus she has excellant handwriting. Brian did body marking as well.

Found Patty and Laura but couldn't find Trevor, Jay or Liz..saw Trevor didn't check in. Took some pictures...hung out and being with them was excellant for not getting nutty in the head and stressed out.

Event warmup:

I was number 150 so should start 30 minutes after the start (swimmers start every 20 seconds). As the first racers started I ran with Patty for about 11 minutes with two 30" accels...felt good for a change..normally warm ups I feel off. Then got back to transtion and took my bike out for a short warm up...felt good as well...held back a bit, but didn't want to. I returned to transtion and set it up, was going to use the restroom one more time, figuring I had about 8 minutes until I got in the pool...oh darn, they are on racer number 144...2 minutes until I get it...quickly pushed through the line of 100 people to get in my spot...rinsed my goggles off, saw Patty push off, and then it was my turn. Cut this warm up a little to close to my start time, but I was pumped and ready to go.
Swim
  • 05m 32s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last year's time: 7:25, goal time 4:50-5:20, moved up 27% compared to my placement last year, came in at 5:32 which includes getting out the pool w/out a ladder probably looking like a beached whale as this guy came in right next to me and I had to flip over the other directions and running outside. 1:51 improvement

We swam clockwise and this guy and I would collide every center of the lane..he'd hook me with his arm..after first time, I was better prepared but he did it 3 times. Okay it could have been me swimming to the right/center of the lane..but it stunk and it through me off a bit. The pool was cloudy and a little dirty but I was out of there quick enough.
What would you do differently?:

Keep practicing swimming so I can seed myself faster with the better swimmers. Improved a ton here, was calm, felt good, wanted to get out of the pool and see what I could do the rest of the tri.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Last year's time: 2:17, this year :58, improvement 1:19. Firm doesn't time trasitions but I do with my HRM so I subtract my T times from where they lump the time. I had a great transtion spot toward the front in the second group of racks which helped me improve a bunch..but I was quick. I dropped my sunglasses when I first got on my bike and was able to catch them and put them on while riding..felt good. I love passing people in transtion...I see this as a skill learned from being a Mom of 5..chaos and quickness is needed in every day life to get out the door on time or whatever..I have had 17 years of practice!

Nada!
Bike
  • 32m 6s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 17.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year's time 38:50, goal time 32:20-36:20, 32:24, moved up 42% compared to last year...nice!

I was discouraged last year on this bike course as it was hard and hilly and my last tri two weeks ago the bike was for more difficult than I expected and I was discouraged, but today was different. I started passing people right away on the up hills and kept on passing people. I watched the number and I got into the the low 130's and an occasition 120 which means that they started some 7-10 minutes before me...sweet!!

I spotted Patty and chased her for awhile but was not able to pass her until I got to the fast downhill. A car was stuck behind a rider and couldn't pull around for riders coming back up the hill and I was flying and didn't want to have to stop, finally the car was able to clearn the biker so I could go down without braking. I hit 37.8 mph and it was awesome. After about 10 minutes, my legs were hurting a bit and I wondered if I went out to fast. Suck it up and keep going and forced that thought from my mind. I concentrated on drinking a lot..goal to get in 14-20 ounces of Gatorade. At mile 5.3 I ran out, which I have never done, I guess I did a good job of drinking while riding. Finally I got that little extention tube for my aero drink bottle which makes drinking lots easier.

At the end of the lollipop and way back up the big hill, I was having fun, passing people using the momentum of my down hills to go up. I was able to stay in my middle gear on the uphill until I got to the steepiest at the top part, and was able to shift up so I wasn't even in my easiest gear...I was excited and at this steep part I continued to pass people. No women passed me and only 3 guys did and one was 66 and I thought of Max and he would flown by me!

Last 2 miles in mostly downhill and I was able to ride in aero and pedal around the corner and just fly...it was so fun and I was having a blast. This was such a good place for me as last year I'd be all negative at races, but not this time...having fun, feeling positive and playing out there. Backed off a little on the homestretch and thought about T2. The roads were in rough shape but I felt comfortable, stable and good on my bike..time in the saddle has improved my handling skills.

One observation I made, is that I am better able to push myself to go as fast as I can compared to last year. I'd say I pace myself better...most of the bike I was breathing hard, so loud that others would hear me coming up behind them...which shows I'm racing at a higher RPE.

I was so thankful for my off season training and my coach Will's great advice/support/tranining plans/encouragement as it has gotten me faster and fitter. While riding, I was excited as I knew this was a test to see how I'd do on hills for my big spring race Mooseman on 6/3 has. Last year Mooseman kicked my butt, but I think this year I'll do a bit better. I averaged 1/2 mph slower on Mooseman than this race..so if today's race is an indicator, I'm feeling better prepared this year for Mooseman.

Brian was working the Bike finish making sure chips registered which was fun!

Getting my new bike sooner might help as it will be about 6 pounds lighter ...can't wait to fly on the Kuota!
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Last years time 1:50, this year 1:11

Put on socks which first attempt were crooked, felt slow here, but moved methodically and got everything done. Brought two litttle 6 oz bottles of 50/50 gatorade/water for the run as I am unable to run and drink from papercups.

Put my socks on straight first time...but overall did excellant!
Run
  • 34m 47s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year's time 40:31, goal time 30:30-35:10, this year 34:47 much improved (6:50) placement improved 11% compared to last year!!

This course first two miles are uphill...between mile 1-2 are the worst. I was breathing hard the whole time pushing myself....kept wondering when the steep hills were coming...ran through them...thinking they were still coming but I had already gotten up them:)

Pushed myself best I could...could see I was going to kill my time from last year, kept trying to get faster...who knows if I did or not as there are no mile marker.

I felt great running. Lots of people passed me and many of the kind women I passed on the bike said nice to me while running past me like wow you were flying on the bike...it was great. I saw Liz (a new MA BTer) on the run speeding by me on the up hill...looking strong. All those people passing me while running was okay with me which is huge as I used to get bummed about it. Some of them were in the 120's and 130's so I knew I was still going to beat them...ha ha!

The best part for me I knew I could keep running farther at a similar pace which I'll need to do for Mooseman. I feel prepared and excited by my progress.

Pushed the final 6 minutes trying to make it under 1:15 which I did :) I really thought I might race 1:17-1:19...1:14 was a out there goal, but not what I thought I'd do.

Keep on running and I'll get faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Finished and had Emily was working the finish line and took off my timing chip. Laura and her husband were there yelling very loudly as I finished...it felt super having many cheer me on. We talked then I walked around a bit and saw Patty finishing so we cheered her on. We gabbed and visited and I was very excited to see that I won Athena. Okay I was the only one, but reality is I beat my time by 16:08 in a sprint...which is huge!!

Talked some more with Liz and her sister Kate? who did her first tri...hope to see more of them this summer.

Firms medals this year are super cool. Seriously I placed first in a tri...me who last year came in last in one tri, always in the bottom 15%, last out of the water twice last year, this was amazing. I think I can say I did MOP...top 1/3 on the bike...and you know next year I'm going to be faster:)

Thanks to all my BT friends for encouraging me this year and helping me think positive and enjoy the day...my superstar mental postive friends especially JoAnne and Rob...you helped me a lot today.

Do you think 155 out of 230 is MOP? I'm tired of being BOP?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same thing...old, ability to go faster, needing to lose a few pounds.

Event comments:

A typical Firm race with no transitions timed, they all have the same feel, but they offer races every weekend. I love that I was able to get 2 tris in before Mooseman to practice racing.

Rankings may change as final results weren't posted when we left, I'm still unsure on the bike time as I wrote down something wrong I think...I'll change or update it after tomorrow.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:32 | 250 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 155/222
Performance: Average
Avg HR 138, max 165
Suit:
Course: Pool swim: Up and back in a lane, go under lane lines into next lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:06 | 9.3 miles | 17.38 mile/hr
Overall: 78/222
Performance:
avg HR 154, max 195
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Lollipop route, up and down some hills, roads are in horrible shape which forced many riders into the middle of the lane which made passing challenging.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:47 | 03.2 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 193/222
Performance: Good
avg HR 158, max 191
Course: First mile gradual uphill, second mile all up hill, last mile down and end flat....on streets and crappy sidewalks in Marlboro.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-21 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Lions Spring Sprint

2006-05-21 9:14 PM
in reply to: #429698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: RE: Lions Spring Sprint

Great job today Kathy!   You made the podium again!!

It was fun hanging out , warming up, and not stressing out!  You're going to be awesome at Mooseman!

It was fun having your kids and my daughter volunteering. Thats whats good about the smaller races.    Can't wait to do it again!

...you did pass me like I was standing still....I tried to catch up, but it wasn't happening.

2006-05-21 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ
WOO HOO!  Awesome race!  Congrats on your 1st place!
2006-05-21 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job and I love it when people share there improvements in there race reports. Your improvements were phenomenal. Great job passing people on the bike. My wife makes fun of me because I always count the passes. Awesome report as usual.
2006-05-21 10:43 PM

Champion

Yeah!!  Hardware, it doesn't get any neater than that.  I told my wife yesterday that what impressed me the most was that even though you were at the back of the pack last year when you first started, you never gave up and kept the great attitude all through the racing and training.  It really pays off, not only in your own progress, but it the great example you set for your kids!  Congrats on a fun day!

2006-05-22 5:38 AM
in reply to: #429792

User image

Champion
MA
max - 2006-05-21 11:43 PM

Yeah!!  Hardware, it doesn't get any neater than that.  I told my wife yesterday that what impressed me the most was that even though you were at the back of the pack last year when you first started, you never gave up and kept the great attitude all through the racing and training.  It really pays off, not only in your own progress, but it the great example you set for your kids!  Congrats on a fun day!

Thanks Max....really I can die saying I won a triathlon...neat!

It is easier to improve when you are slow...lots of room to get faster. I guess some might get frustrated and give up when they are slow near last, but I see it as a challenge to improve.

The kid thing is really the best. My daughter Libby who is 7 practiced her bricks this weekend with the help of my 10 year old Shasha. She just learned to ride a two wheeler recently and excited to do her first triathlon in 3 weeks. Emily what can I say, bought a wetsuit yestreday, spends lots of time on the internet checking out races, has a road bike and soon will be faster than me for the rest of her life. She like volunteering at the races and already is giving back to the sport.

My husband bought a bike and is riding now for fun.

Life is sweet

2006-05-22 6:35 AM

Pro
Andover
"Last year finished 1:30:56 ... this year... 1:14:48" Now THAT is improvement!!!

CONGRATS on your progress and da' hardware, Kathy!
2006-05-22 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Awesome race! It is so empowering to hear that consistent training makes the difference!
2006-05-22 7:57 AM
in reply to: #429950

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Woohoo!! Hardware and a HUGE improvement over last year!

So when are you signing up for that IM, because you're well on your way ....

Congrats, and fantastic work!
2006-05-22 7:58 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Great job, Kathy.  Your biking speed is awesome!  Now I really need to work on my riding hopefully I can catch up with you.  Congrats ont he hardware.  You need a new avatar again 

And that body-marking job sounds fun.  Jorge said I'll be marking people in his race.  That'll be fun.

Edited by Celeb_ithil 2006-05-22 8:00 AM
2006-05-22 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
LOVED reading this Race report- POSITIVE attitude- having Fun...recognizing improvements-pushing harder...
All your training and your determination have paid off ...and will continue to do so-
You seriously ask if MOP- when you come home with a 1st place medal....

Accept it - you are FIT & FABULOUS !!!!!!!

2006-05-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: #429955

User image

Champion
MA

Daremo - 2006-05-22 8:57 AM Woohoo!! Hardware and a HUGE improvement over last year! So when are you signing up for that IM, because you're well on your way .... Congrats, and fantastic work!

Thanks! 

I'm doing the bike leg of a 1/2 IM with BT friends in September....planning on a doing a 1/2 next Fall if my Olys go okay and then consider when to do an IM. I am going to do one some day, but need to build up to it.

Edited by KathyG 2006-05-22 8:39 AM
2006-05-22 9:18 AM

Expert
All I can say is wow...terrific race and report.

Mark
2006-05-22 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race Kathy   I'm so happy for you!!!
2006-05-22 9:39 AM

New user

Way to go on a 1st! Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the race.

jay
2006-05-22 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Amazing race! You are so fast on the bike! I'm excited to hear how you do at Mooseman.

2006-05-22 10:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-05-22 10:35 AM

MA
You are so inspiring!

I can only dream of improving like you did. Great job out there.

And those hills were brutal, but you were blazing fast on that bike.

It was really nice to meet you and the other BT's there.

Hope to see you all at Cranberry!

Liz
2006-05-22 9:28 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Fantastic job there!!!  Great improvement over last year.
2006-05-22 9:53 PM

Master
Red Sox Nation
Kathy ... awesome race!  GOOD FOR YOU!  And HEy Yah you are MOP!  Looking foward to racing with you in August!  Please don't dust me too bad! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lions Spring Sprint Rss Feed