General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Puerto Penasco,
Mexico
Red Rock Company, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 55s
Overall Rank = 30/98
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/18
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast was kept to a simple bagel w/peanut butter and one hard boiled egg.
Event warmup:

Standing in the transition area, I was seriously doubting whether to wear a wetsuit. The day prior to the race, I did a test swim and with pockets of cold/warm water, I didn't think a wetsuit was necessary. Luckily I carried my wetsuit down to the start and two seconds in the water told me I would be more comfortable with it on for this swim.
Swim
  • 20m 36s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I tried to line up to the right to get a straighter line to the first buoy but the crowd started to form a line that kept me from going directly to the first buoy. After getting past knee deep water, I started my swim and kept a decent pace until midway through the long stretch. The waves started getting more choppy and I had a hard time sighting the last buoy. I knew approximately where it was but still drifted out a little too much from the main line. Making the final turn, it felt good to start catching some waves. I kept swimming towards shore until my finger tips started catching the ground. Some people were standing up early trying to walk in but with the waves, it was easier to make progress swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

It was a long uphill beach run to the transition area. I walked most of the way up the beach as my wetsuit makes it pretty difficult to run.
What would you do differently?:

I initially planned to get out of the water and immediately take my wetsuit off on the beach. For some reason I followed the mentality of the other racers and left the bottom portion of my suit on. This made it difficult and hot when running up the beach to the transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 22s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was decent but not anything special. The first lap I fought the gusting wind with my HED H3 front. It was pretty sketchy until I found my groove and was able to concentrate on pedaling rather than controlling the bike. There were a couple rough corners that I slowed for and lost time on but once I got back in the aero position, I was able to crank. By lap two, I had the course figured out and really started to make up time. Since I was in the first group, I was able to count the riders in front of me at the turn around point. I moved up a few slots and kept that position until coming into transition.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Bike shoes off before dismount, run shoes on pretty quick.
Run
  • 1h 00m 40s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Wheels came off here... not sure if I swallowed too much salt water or just didn't drink enough on the bike course but couldn't get cooled down nor drink enough water. I felt bloated after the first aid station and never really got my mind in a place where I could get a decent pace going. By mile 3, I was walking the hills and running the flats. Eventually I was down to walking a significant portion. Once I made it to about 5.5miles, I started to feel better and put in a run to the end. The pace wasn't spectacular but at least didn't walk the final mile.

I took in two Gu packs and water while on the run. The first Gu was at aid station #1 and the second was around mile 4ish. I think I needed more water in my system prior to starting the run. After taking that second pack of Gu and two full cups of water, I felt better pretty quick.
Post race
Warm down:

Slip-N-Slide!!! After crossing the finish line I hit the slide and sat in the cold water for a minute or two. I've never felt that bad after such a short race. It took at least an hour before I felt normal enough to walk around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still scratching my head but thinking it was a combination of being excessively hot with lack of hydration.

Event comments:

I was pretty grumpy after the race as I knew I had a good base to place top 5 in my age group. Coming in 8th was unsatisfactory for me. Had I been able to hold my normal 7:15-7:30 run pace, I would have met my goal. Oh well, could have, should have, would have don't count. The post race party put on by Red Rock eventually got me out of my slump and I was wishing all triathlon races would end this way. They really know how to put on a party and everybody seemed to be having a good time.

Last updated: 2012-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:36 | 1094 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 28/98
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto T1
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:22 | 24.5 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Overall: 17/98
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: 3 out and back loops... half rough road, have smooth as glass.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:40 | 06.2 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 70/98
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-05 11:28 AM

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-04-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4132041

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great job out there!  You had a great swim despite what I felt were tough conditions.  You totally rocked the bike course - with the headwind on the way back in, holding 19+ mph is impressive.  I also agree with you on the run.  It was getting hot and humid and those little uphills just kept on coming - it was tough to maintain any semblance of a rhythm.  Super race!!
2012-04-05 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4132041

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great race - congrats!

Between the waves, wind, and hills it was hard to get a rhythm going that whole day. It seemed to me that mile 4 of the run had all the steeper hills.. So, at 5.5 when you were getting it all sorted out, I was hanging on by a thread.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed